Anyone thinking of ditching retail fo...

Anyone thinking of ditching retail for the service industry?

Posted in the Walgreens Forum

RRR

Concord, CA

#1 Apr 24, 2012
I am a service clerk at a Walgreens which happens to be in a very nice neighborhood. This neighborhood is literally home to some of the best dining establishments in all of the Bay Area. Figuring that it'd be a much better choice since some of these restauarants pay 20/hr. though the service industry is far more competitive (think about the difference between what kind of people work at Walgreens vs. the kind at Walgreens). Has anyone here worked in the service industry? Any tips for a person who would be new to the whole thing? I personally would love the opportunity to put in hard work and have it show on my paycheck. I'm not saying people who work at Walgreens are foolish, but look at it from the eyes of someone who makes two dollars above minimum wage.
asdf

Chicago, IL

#2 Apr 24, 2012
I had a friend who works in a restaurant and he was pulling in 40k+ a year.
RRR

Concord, CA

#3 Apr 24, 2012
asdf wrote:
I had a friend who works in a restaurant and he was pulling in 40k+ a year.
Yeah, this definitely makes a lot more sense. I will probably avoid working in a corporate chain restaurant though which should be very easy considering the area I live in. It's gonna be great to not do menial, repetitive tasks while listening to "what's new pussycat whoa whoa whoa" over the PA every day!
RRR

Hayward, CA

#5 Apr 24, 2012
Oops, made a typo above. Meant to say think about the difference between people who work at Walgreens vs. those who work in the service industry. I don't mean this as a slight against anyone because after all, I work at Walgreens, but I think you can get a sense of what I mean. It's the same reason why attitudes at McDonald's are different than those who might work at a more upscale place. That said, I'm interested in hearing from people who have worked in the service industry or plan to. We're there any skills from Walgreens that you learned that could be applied to working as a server for example?
ThrobbingWag

United States

#6 Apr 24, 2012
Isn't retail in the service sector?
RRR

Hayward, CA

#7 Apr 24, 2012
ThrobbingWag wrote:
Isn't retail in the service sector?
Well, I guess this is where one could potentially get into semantic antics, but I've always considered a retail job to be one where you work at a place like Walgreens or Kmart whereas a service job is more along the lines of providing service at either bars or restaurants.
morals

Henderson, NV

#8 Apr 25, 2012
I owned three casual dining restaurants in Florida for thirteen years , selling and leaving Florida for personal reasons . Yes a lot of experience from Walgreens can be applied .
Customers at a restaurant are not in a rush most of the time , they want a good atmosphere , friendly service , and of course good food . So customer service is of utmost importance . So what is customer service ? Well as owner it starts with him or her . Labor cost cannot be tampered with , as owner i would make sure i had extra staff on hand , So all customers are given extra attention , it is repeat business that is needed , pricing reflected the extra customer service . From my strategy staffing would see the attention i paid to customer service , and would copy my strategy , from cooks , to cashier , to general help . Attitude from myself and management would be on a mentor basis . We made sure all staff would work as a team , when things went well we would praise each other , and if things did not go well we would blame ourselves as a team , and solve it together , Bonuses where given as a team , based on one single percentage , applied to all staff salaries .
So as a mgt it may be time to go back into business , but always remember customers come first , second , third and strategy based upon this will always be successful . Keep things simple and customer orientated , its what the customer wants or needs , not what we want or need . I hope this helps as to an insight for your applications elsewhere .
Good luck all .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Walgreens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
And the truth finally comes out 19 min Leroy Brown 1
ASM-T math worksheets 21 min JimmyTInDaPlaceToBe 5
Need advice 24 min Little Jimmy 2
New Store Format Coming Soon 41 min Wagmgr 21
Finally some GOOD news for store level employees 1 hr Little Jimmy 13
MGR’s being forced to work full days on weekend... 1 hr EXasm 28
Unbelievable. This is the final straw. 5 hr Little Jimmy 9
Manager Starting Rates Dropped $5,000 Sat Straxxton 29
More from around the web