Pay dispute leads to firings at Westp...

Pay dispute leads to firings at Westport-based Velocity Express

There are 5 comments on the Stamford Advocate story from Jan 15, 2009, titled Pay dispute leads to firings at Westport-based Velocity Express. In it, Stamford Advocate reports that:

Velocity Express confirmed Tuesday it has fired a number of delivery drivers who walked off the job to protest a lingering pay dispute in Cheshire.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Stamford Advocate.

Carlos Jimenez

Berlin, CT

#1 Jan 16, 2009
I beleive anyone that works for leaving should be paid according to the terms of employment. We were short paid since the fall, which the CEO admitted to and were told by Velocity that the issue would be resolved. Well we continued to work for 5 more months and then we gave them an ultimatum. If we were not compensated within one week we would walk out. this agreement was made with Velocity and Omnicare. The week went by and we were told again the issue would be resolved. Just like 5 months ago. We simply said enough is enough. So if being a rabble-rouser is asking for wages earned, Then count me in!!
I dont think anyone wants to be under paid every week for 5 months. Then be told its a computer glitch. This glitch is happening to Velocity drivers all around the country just look it up at drivers2009.blog.com Hey!! Maybe we can blame ENRON on a computer glitch to!!!
land of the free

Middlefield, CT

#2 Jan 16, 2009
The following passage is pure EVIL- "We've had some system issues up there," said Jeff Hendrickson, the Westport-based company's chief operating officer. He said errors in data entry and the computer system have resulted in some drivers being underpaid and some being overpaid.

I believe this Hendrickson sounds like a filthy, vile, dirty pig . Cheating these poor working men every week is criminal. I can only imagine how many drivers are overpaid- ZERO. Underpaid 100 percent. Hey Hendrickson, may all the evil you inflict on these poor people come back to you times one million.
land of the free

Middlefield, CT

#3 Jan 16, 2009
Carlos Jimenez wrote:
I beleive anyone that works for leaving should be paid according to the terms of employment. We were short paid since the fall, which the CEO admitted to and were told by Velocity that the issue would be resolved. Well we continued to work for 5 more months and then we gave them an ultimatum. If we were not compensated within one week we would walk out. this agreement was made with Velocity and Omnicare. The week went by and we were told again the issue would be resolved. Just like 5 months ago. We simply said enough is enough. So if being a rabble-rouser is asking for wages earned, Then count me in!!
I dont think anyone wants to be under paid every week for 5 months. Then be told its a computer glitch. This glitch is happening to Velocity drivers all around the country just look it up at drivers2009.blog.com Hey!! Maybe we can blame ENRON on a computer glitch to!!!
God Bless and Good Luck . I wish you all the luck trying to collect you rightfully earned wages from another modern day robber baron.
Lake Charles LA

Lake Charles, LA

#4 Oct 13, 2011
I am reading the posts from 2009 in Oct 2011...The same "computer glitches" are STILL happening!! My friends been an IC for VEXP for 8 years. I think he was an employee in the beginning until they made him sign a contract and this year made him form an LLC. He was told $25 will be deducted from his check this week (no explanation) and it will be corrected "later on"...My friend is almost in bankruptcy working for them. Not only are his paychecks 2-weeks behind, they deduct fees from his pay check each week (scanner, insurance, uniforms, etc). He was charged $8/wk for a scanner that he didn't have or use to do his route...He had to run extra routes during a mandatory hurricane evacuation & was NEVER compensated. The manager kept saying it would be on the next check. He drives his own vehicle, pays gas, maintenance, etc. He had an extra stop added to his route over 1yr ago. It's more than 60 miles round trip and no additional pay. They are big time crooks from the word go. I've been in Human Resources for over 20 years & I've never encountered anything as fraudulent as this company.
David

Richardson, TX

#5 Jun 17, 2012
any contractor who reads this
DO NOT WORK FOR VELOCITY EXPRESS!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Velocity Express Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News ComVest Gets OK to Purchase 80% of Velocity Exp... (Jun '12) Jun '12 David 1
News Velocity Express Receives Notice of Non-Complia... (Jul '07) Jun '12 David 15
News Velocity Express Hires New President/COO (Apr '12) Apr '12 number 1 paid driver 1
velocity Express inc (Sep '09) Mar '10 beenthere 2
staples (Jul '09) Jul '09 onewhoknows 1
News Velocity Express Takes Fourth-Quarter Loss (Jun '06) Jun '06 Lynn B Meyer 1
More from around the web