For better or for worse

For better or for worse

There are 243 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 29, 2008, titled For better or for worse. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Though Chicagoans may grow weary of mind-numbing traffic jams, a lumbering mass transit system and outbreaks of neighborhood violence, deep down they are apparently quite fond of their city - fonder, in fact, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
James

Miami, FL

#1 Jul 29, 2008
I found the headline easy to believe until I learned where the study was conducted. Michigan Avenue? Why don't they just wander around Oak St or North Dearborn and ask how comfortable the residents are there? Why not go to real neighborhoods like Ukranian Village or Lakeview, where I expect happy customers, too, but might find more diverse answers than those out shopping in the middle of one of the higher income brackets of the city.
Alex

Glen Ellyn, IL

#2 Jul 29, 2008
You can make a survey say whatever you want it to. The illegals love a city that protects them from prosecution. The gang members also love the city that they can manipulate. The politicians LOVE the city that they can rip off the taxpayers and line their pockets with public money.

Let's have more surveys to try to brainwash the public into believing that they have it good..........
Stu Padaso

Northbrook, IL

#3 Jul 29, 2008
The people who believe they have it good in Chicago, must not travel much!

Check the Grading the States to see how IL ranked! Funny how these surveys work.

I can not wait until my house sells to move out of this state.

Enjoy the 10%+ sales tax!
witness

United States

#4 Jul 29, 2008
The survey people should gone to west side or the south side and conducted
their business.
Get Real

Hillsborough, NJ

#5 Jul 29, 2008
The majority of Chicagoans love their city because they've never lived anywhere else. Chicago: Just another big city with a high sales tax.
monty

Chicago, IL

#6 Jul 29, 2008
Clearly this is not a perfect survey, but I find it funny the first people whining about it don't live in the City.

Just enjoy these articles sometimes, take a step back, relax...

It's summertime, lighten up.
Too Funny

Hillsborough, NJ

#8 Jul 29, 2008
James wrote:
I found the headline easy to believe until I learned where the study was conducted. Michigan Avenue? Why don't they just wander around Oak St or North Dearborn and ask how comfortable the residents are there? Why not go to real neighborhoods like Ukranian Village or Lakeview, where I expect happy customers, too, but might find more diverse answers than those out shopping in the middle of one of the higher income brackets of the city.
Or conduct the survey in the middle of February when it's really cold and there is 10 inches of snow on the ground.
VOTE DALEY OUT

Chicago, IL

#10 Jul 29, 2008
Oh no. Daley's head is going to get even bigger! Watch for those tax increases now that they know all the sheep are so happy.
Chairman Mao

United States

#11 Jul 29, 2008
The subjects of the People's Republic of Chicago will answer the way they are told. 11.25% sales tax in the business district. Highest gasoline tax in the nation. Average property tax assessment up 50% in the worst housing slump in US history. Dozens upon dozens of Daley's underlings indicted/convicted/imprisoned by the US Prosecutor. Not to mention the former convicted felon doing Federal time George Ryan and his successor who will likely follow him. Add to all this an Illegal Alien safe zone for all of Crook County. The leader of a communist county could not have done a better job in a survey
Lincoln Parker

United States

#12 Jul 29, 2008
I don't love Chicago,it is a pretty city that is so corrupt it makes Mexico look straight. Public transportation sucks,parking sucks,the weather sucks,the taxes are outrageous,crime is everywhere and the list goes on.

I can't wait to move back to Santa Fe,five more months and I am gone.
Alderman Graft

Downers Grove, IL

#14 Jul 29, 2008
Surveys can be skewed to reflect the desired response. Perhaps this was a poll of city contractors, wrought-iron fence manufacturers, or the mayor's relatives.

I'd like to see a poll of people waiting for or being crammed onto the El, or people who've just written their tax bill check, or who've just ran for their lives after a shooting broke out at a public event, or after a cop bashed them in the head for no reason, or who've just been nailed by a surveillance camera, or when they've just paid a cut-throat price to park in the Loop
Stu Padaso

Northbrook, IL

#15 Jul 29, 2008
Monty, you must be a moron.

These locations are based on ISP addresses. Ever think I might be at work?

Did you run this suvery as well?
Florida Jim

Port Orange, FL

#16 Jul 29, 2008
Chicago is a beautiful city when looking at the lake and near lake area but the disgusting politics debase all else.
Daley and his minions should be ousted and replaced with total newcomers who have no allegiance to the current corrupt group.
I love chicago but left there due to the corruption, the never ending taxes, the constant investigations of the same groups and the people keep voting in the same group and their families.
If Chicago is not the most corrupt city in the world I would be astonished.
Chicago

Chicago, IL

#17 Jul 29, 2008
Oh here come all the negative posters. Heaven forbid a positive news story comes out about Chicago. The fact is people do love Chicago. It's more that a lot of people might not living in a big city in that case than ya you are going to rip on Chicago. Do all these people on the post that say they hate it here think they'd like living in any of Chicago's other competition for global cities, like NYC, London, Berlin, LA, Houston, Paris, no they would rather live in a smaller city like one of the people above Sante Fe, I'm guessing that person just doesn't like living in a big city.

Go Chicago 2016!
Chicago

Chicago, IL

#18 Jul 29, 2008
James wrote:
Read the story. The survey wasn't conducted on Michigan Av. Michigan Av. is where the trib searched for quotes for the story. The people they quoted lived in the city neighborhoods not Michigan Av. so I don't see anything wrong with that.
bill

United States

#19 Jul 29, 2008
mayor mumbles paid for the survey with our money
John

Chicago, IL

#20 Jul 29, 2008
Do a Survey of how happy chicagoins are with their poloticians....we really need to have the ability to recall these guys.
dfj

Chicago, IL

#21 Jul 29, 2008
What about Cook County ?
Stu Padaso

Northbrook, IL

#22 Jul 29, 2008
Bill, ROFLMAO
North Side

Chicago, IL

#23 Jul 29, 2008
Stu Padaso wrote:
The people who believe they have it good in Chicago, must not travel much!
Check the Grading the States to see how IL ranked! Funny how these surveys work.
I can not wait until my house sells to move out of this state.
Enjoy the 10%+ sales tax!
Actually I travel a lot (Europe and North America) and coming home to Chicago is when I realize how great all the things we have are. The lake, architecture, endless supply of concerts/sporting events/fests/restaurants.

Yes the sales tax is nothing to be proud of and will hurt but we'll get Stroger out in 2010 and everything will be good again!

Of course if you live on the west side you might not like it but when you look at Chicago's crime per capita it is a head of many many cities in America.

Of course if you'd prefer living in a smaller city like Madison(great town)or the country because you don't like to see people than ya of course Chicago isn't for you. But as far as big cities go it is world class!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Veolia Environnement Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News CONSOL Energy Selects Veolia Water To Design, B... (Jul '11) Aug '11 Laddie 2
News Veolia Environnement and UNESCO Sponsor Interna... (Mar '08) Mar '08 Canada 1
News Its Assets Are Trashy, But ETF Outperforms (Sep '07) Sep '07 Andy Arnold 1
News Activists blast Army over deal to ship VX waste (Apr '07) Apr '07 oldthinker 6
News Attracting talent outweighs shareholder's 'wind... (Mar '07) Mar '07 Catfish 11
News Privatization of water led to higher bills (Feb '07) Mar '07 Ratepayer 3