Letters: An explanation on D.C. workings

Full story: El Paso Times 22
Referring to a recent letter from Javier Garcia, it seems that the Bush bashers need a refresher course in Politics 101. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
joseph vitagliano

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Feb 24, 2010
Aaron Medina are you kidding it takes them a year to finally come around and check the vehicles I have called. It is a very slow process.
TorC

El Paso, TX

#2 Feb 24, 2010
The only political correctness I see around here is the El Pato Times' backdoor attempts at libel, printing without comment every right-wing conspiracy theory to come down the pike. If some order by Bill Clinton to disarm troops on bases was the cause of the Ft. Hood massacre (not!), why has it never been rescinded to this day? As for Mr. Schneider's effulgent hypocrisy, castigating others for insufficient knowledge, please tell me how the last two Democratic majorities were responsible for the 2001 tax cuts, the horrible 2003 Medicare prescription program, etc. And I supposed the idiotic Iraq war was paid for with all those cereal box tops and Chesterfield coupons Dumbya managed to save during his protracted childhood? Remarkable lack of information, indeed.
Sal

El Paso, TX

#3 Feb 24, 2010
John B. McKinney made some great points in his letter:'It's interesting that the federal government spent over $1 billion over eight years...'

Over $1 billion of OUR tax dollars.

Maybe the "high tax" lovers in El Paso will enjoy it worded like that much better.
Fuzzy Math

El Paso, TX

#4 Feb 24, 2010
Thanks TorC - you pretty much covered everything I was going to say.
EpCynic

Sunland Park, NM

#5 Feb 24, 2010
TorC wrote:
The only political correctness I see around here is the El Pato Times' backdoor attempts at libel, printing without comment every right-wing conspiracy theory to come down the pike. If some order by Bill Clinton to disarm troops on bases was the cause of the Ft. Hood massacre (not!), why has it never been rescinded to this day? As for Mr. Schneider's effulgent hypocrisy, castigating others for insufficient knowledge, please tell me how the last two Democratic majorities were responsible for the 2001 tax cuts, the horrible 2003 Medicare prescription program, etc. And I supposed the idiotic Iraq war was paid for with all those cereal box tops and Chesterfield coupons Dumbya managed to save during his protracted childhood? Remarkable lack of information, indeed.
Months after Clinton took office, the military banned virtually all non-MP servicemen from keeping firearms on their person or in their homes on base. I suppose you can act like Clinton had nothing to do with it, but since the man felt it necessary to ban any rifle that looks scary, I think we can assume his fingerprints are all over it. This policy continues because we have a critical mass of morons who will still defend Clinton's actions, and gun control in general, despite all the evidence that gun control kills. As for your attempts to criticize tax cuts, I guess you forgot that the economy was booming until 2007 when the Democrats took over congress.
EP Citizen

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 Feb 24, 2010
EpCynic wrote:
<quoted text>
...the economy was booming until 2007 when the Democrats took over congress.
That "boom" was the result of the housing bubble and the "too big to fail" banks selling so-called "derivatives" and bundled bad mortgages. Fast-forward just one year, to the fall of 2008, and the U. S. economy was on the brink of a total meltdown because of Republican fiscal policies.
Sal

El Paso, TX

#7 Feb 24, 2010
EP Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
That "boom" was the result of the housing bubble and the "too big to fail" banks selling so-called "derivatives" and bundled bad mortgages. Fast-forward just one year, to the fall of 2008, and the U. S. economy was on the brink of a total meltdown because of Republican fiscal policies.
Stop lying!!

Bush and his administration started warning congress in 2001. If you are so stupid as to not understand - then you are to stupid to be helped. But what ever your problem is - stop misleading people with your liberl slop and posts.

Watch the 'FACTS'! They are recorded.

Your lies are no where to be found except in your own liberal world of blame Bush for everything.

Just Some Facts

El Paso, TX

#8 Feb 24, 2010
The Bush tax breaks for wealthy Americans only got back 70 cents on each tax dollar, thus running up the deficit of about 1.4 Trillion.

The Iraq and Afganistan war costs were kept off the books and not added to the yearly budget, creating a shadow deficit of almost 2 trillion.

The drug benefit that allowed private Insurance Companies to handle drugs to Medicare,(reaping large profits off Medicare) ran a deficit of about 500 billion dollars.

The Republicans were in Congress 6 of the 8 years Bush was in office, during a time when family wealth for the middle class went down, the stock market for the entire time was below the 1990s mark, medical costs skyrocketed, the financial industry defrauded the American people, millions of jobs went overseas, roads deteriorated.... We couldn't even get toys made that didn't endanger our children or food to our tables without getting poisoned.

I am not Bush bashing. I am stating the facts. I can't blame a one year President for the mess this country is in. That would be ignorant. Just because some people don't want to see the truth, doesn't make it still the truth.
Pablo

El Paso, TX

#9 Feb 24, 2010
When looking at the Clinton and Bush presidencies and the performance of the stock market under each, one thing is clear: Bush got the short end of the stick. He became president 300 days into a bear market that began on March 24, 2000. Then, only nine months into his presidency, the country was hit by 9-11. I'm not saying President Bush was the best president we ever had, but I do think that we would have faced a stumbling market NO MATTER who was president, just like we would have had the 90s internet bubble regardless of who was president.
not exactly

United States

#10 Feb 24, 2010
EpCynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Months after Clinton took office, the military banned virtually all non-MP servicemen from keeping firearms on their person or in their homes on base. I suppose you can act like Clinton had nothing to do with it, but since the man felt it necessary to ban any rifle that looks scary, I think we can assume his fingerprints are all over it. This policy continues because we have a critical mass of morons who will still defend Clinton's actions, and gun control in general, despite all the evidence that gun control kills. As for your attempts to criticize tax cuts, I guess you forgot that the economy was booming until 2007 when the Democrats took over congress.

I entered the Army in 1984 and left in 93, shortly after Clinton took office. We were never allowed to carry weapons, except at the range. Personally owned weapons could be kept at home, but not in the barracks. Throughout the time I lived in El Paso, 1993 to fairly recently, soldiers were allowed to keep personally owned weapons in their on-base housing. No one in the military carries a weapon on a regular basis in garrison except for MP's and those on guard duty, and has not for as long as most of us can remember. I agree with the original letter writer's comments regarding blaming the US for violence in Mexico but she basically made up the portion about Clinton banning weapons on base. I'd guess it dates back into the 50's or 60's.
EpCynic

Sunland Park, NM

#11 Feb 24, 2010
EP Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Republican policies like the Community Reinvestment Act? Your bubble was created by democrat policies that republicans failed to correct and overseen by the likes of the banking queen Barney Frank and the Friend of Angelo Chris Dodd. Which party did they belong to? Your fast forward of one year was actually the second year of democrat controlled congress.
TorC

El Paso, TX

#12 Feb 24, 2010
GOP half-wits who blame the 2007-2008 "Democrat" Congress and deride Bush bashers are doing some backdoor bashing of their own. Where the hell WAS Dumbya the whole time these shenanigans were supposedly going on? Didn't he try to VETO anything? Or was he spending the last two years on permanent vacation, not so unlike the previous six?
Huey D Goins

El Paso, TX

#13 Feb 24, 2010
TorC wrote:
Great post.That DUMBYA was great and the cereal box tops and Chesterfield coupons was even better.The gun lovers printed up bumper stickers that said Ted Kennedy!s car killed more people than my gun.Why is it,that no sane liberal-Democrat would ever even consider coming up with a bumper sticker that implies that Laura Bush( before she married Dumbya)killed more people with her car than were killed with my gun?.Think about it.If you had 2 brothers killed with guns, you might have a problem there too.Ya, in Japan a lot more people are killed with knives than guns but you do not hear a lot about drive by knifing.If any one has not killed any one lately than they should be able to buy any thing out there if they can pass a background check.I do not see a need for a 50 caliber machine gun or a pistol that will fire a bullet through 4 or 5 engine blocks all lined up side by side.But that is just me.Do not let me stop you from creating a arsenal if that is what you are all about.I hope your place is 20 miles or so, away form me.I!m a wimp, I am scared of guns in the hands of people who really do not know how to safely handle them.If people know how to handle a weapon and accept the responsibility for carrying a weapon that go for it.There is consequences for every thing.
Good Bye

El Paso, TX

#14 Feb 24, 2010
The word is that is Perry gets re-elected, he will try to make a run for the White House. Maybe have Palin as his running mate. Perry is even dumber than Dumbya.

If that happens, all that is left is for us to put our heads between our legs and kiss our behinds good bye. There is so little left of this country that big corporations and the very wealthy don't already own. Perry would be the end of American democracy and the beginning of a Corporate State.
DIOGENES

El Paso, TX

#15 Feb 24, 2010
Oh, Israel, where is your Beacon of Light for the enslaved Palestinians?
Citizen

El Paso, TX

#16 Feb 24, 2010
Sal wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop lying!!
Bush and his administration started warning congress in 2001. If you are so stupid as to not understand - then you are to stupid to be helped. But what ever your problem is - stop misleading people with your liberl slop and posts.
Watch the 'FACTS'! They are recorded.
Your lies are no where to be found except in your own liberal world of blame Bush for everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cMnSp4qEXNMXX
Everything is Bush's fault. California is about to re-name its San Andreas Fault "Bush's Fault". Now you know the rest of the story.
Citizen

El Paso, TX

#18 Feb 25, 2010
DIOGENES wrote:
Oh, Israel, where is your Beacon of Light for the enslaved Palestinians?
You're right.

And this is not liberal nonsense.

I find him as loathsome as George W. Bush.

I found myself repeatedly giving Mr. Perry one of my fingers as saw and heard him tonight on the TV.

It looks like he's going to be governor once again...then, probably, dig his cowboy boots in the manure to dictate in the White House...but not short hand...

He'll just continue where Bungler Bush ended. Palin will ride in with him on a White Stallion, carrying Cross and Flag, to save America!

Beware, voters, beware...of 2012...and not Mayans...not Iranians (though they should be watched with a weary eye)/
Citizen

El Paso, TX

#19 Feb 25, 2010
Whoops! I meant to respond to Good Bye and his view about Rick Perry.
EpCynic

Sunland Park, NM

#20 Feb 26, 2010
Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything is Bush's fault. California is about to re-name its San Andreas Fault "Bush's Fault". Now you know the rest of the story.
I'm stealing that joke, just so you know :-)
In Agreement

AOL

#21 Feb 26, 2010
Sal wrote:
John B. McKinney made some great points in his letter:'It's interesting that the federal government spent over $1 billion over eight years...'
Over $1 billion of OUR tax dollars.
Maybe the "high tax" lovers in El Paso will enjoy it worded like that much better.
Ditto!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

US Energy Systems Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
U.S. Gasoline Price Falls to $3.5206 a Gallon i... Aug '14 rdf 1
Don Brunell | It's not easy being green in the ... Jul '14 Solarman 1
Ex-Osama bin Laden ally turns informant (Apr '14) Apr '14 indy 1
FDA Looks Ahead to Withdrawal of Nonprescriptio... (Oct '09) Sep '13 Aldous 5
Video: GOP Sen. Enzi: Obamacare "is failing" (Jul '13) Jul '13 Your Ex 28
Invasive seaweed spreads along New England coast (Dec '12) Jun '13 Campus Bubble 3
Report says Pfizer may try to market OTC Lipitor (Aug '11) May '13 Camden 11

US Energy Systems People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE