New health care waiver requests

New health care waiver requests

There are 6 comments on the Worcester Telegram & Gazette story from Oct 17, 2010, titled New health care waiver requests. In it, Worcester Telegram & Gazette reports that:

Health insurers may abandon some markets unless the Obama administration waives a rule set to take effect next year on how much companies must spend on patient care, state insurance commissioners said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Worcester Telegram & Gazette.

deadly spin

Lubbock, TX

#1 Oct 18, 2010
Of course the insurance companies are going to fake some numbers and make all of this stuff up so they can keep making a gazillion dollars in profits so they can keep paying their CEOs and VPs mucho dinero. Can't wait until the book "Deadly Spin" comes out.
DJ A

Jefferson City, MO

#2 Oct 18, 2010
When Vermont passed health care reform in 1992, all but 12 health insurance carriers left the state, and only two of those kept trying to sell new policies - then those two merged, making health insurance a monopoly.

I moved to Vermont in 1994, got one of the last two insurers. Three years later they raised my rate 50%. That's what health care reform like Obamacare does when it only "reforms" insurance.

If the health insurance CEOs can't make the big bucks, and the agents can't earn commissions, they'll all go sell something else. That won't make health insurance cheaper, just harder to get and even more expensive. Obamacare makes health insurance worse for everybody.
deadly spin

Lubbock, TX

#3 Oct 19, 2010
Okay. I get your point. I've had my rates raised around a total of 50% over the past 4 years in a state without reform. So if the current reform is national and all states are included, the insurance companies and their executives are now going to pack up and go where and do what? Who else will pay these executives $10 million a year? Braly sure couldn't make that being a lawyer.

& Exactly what specific points of the Vermont reform are repeated in Obamacare?
DJ A

Jefferson City, MO

#4 Oct 20, 2010
Guaranteed issue, no preexisting conditions, and ineffective mandate. Means old & sick people sign up, young & healthy won't.

Insurance companies go into other lines, e.g., life insurance, supplemental medical insurance, stop-loss coverage.

They have to change to what investors tell their boards to do with their money.
deadly spin

Lubbock, TX

#5 Oct 20, 2010
If you look at Wellpoint as an example in this scenario, there is something that doesn't make sense. Braly ends up with a 50% raise. Yet, at the shareholders meeting, she was getting raked over the coals until Bucky Bush fell out and saved her from their wrath. Why didn't the Wellpoint investors tell the board not to give her the raise?
indy

Mansfield, MA

#7 Dec 8, 2010
i see how some of the labor union got waivers, after they told us all how good it was ..... if its so good, why the hell do they want waivers?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Group Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UnitedHealth CEO terms ACA exchange growth a 'b... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Elise 1
News New MMR study promoting vaccines was funded by ... (May '15) May '15 GARDASIL MAIMS KILLS 7
UnitedHealth Group CEO's Compensation Was $66.1... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Doctor Shopper 1
News Firm chosen to fix HealthCare.gov faced queries... (Oct '13) Oct '13 LesterWhiteMy 3
News UnitedHealth Spurns Obama Exchanges as Risks Di... (May '13) May '13 sheepleloveroyalty 1
News UnitedHealth, Aetna and Cigna opt out of Califo... (May '13) May '13 MrBernstein 1
News Insurer UnitedHealth's 3Q profit jumps 23 percent (Oct '12) Oct '12 HumanSpirit 1
More from around the web