Psychiatric hospital to open in south Orlando

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Universal Health Services , a Pennsylvania-based corporation, is planning to open a 120-bed psychiatric hospital in south Orlando that will focus on treating teenage girls with eating disorders, as well as ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Jul 6, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sad but true

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2008

Judged:

As someone who has worked for Universal Health Services its a money making machine. While employed at La Amistad in Maitland , We were told to chart things that were not true so that they could keep the patients longer for insurance reasons. Once the insurance ran out , We would dump the patents off at Lakeside because they would take the uninsured. I spent over 25 years working in medical field and in mental health. I have never seen such an operation like universal health services in all those years. They do not care about the patents, They only care about the bottom line.
skyla2551

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2008

sad but true wrote:
As someone who has worked for Universal Health Services its a money making machine. While employed at La Amistad in Maitland , We were told to chart things that were not true so that they could keep the patients longer for insurance reasons. Once the insurance ran out , We would dump the patents off at Lakeside because they would take the uninsured. I spent over 25 years working in medical field and in mental health. I have never seen such an operation like universal health services in all those years. They do not care about the patents, They only care about the bottom line.
When did you work at La Amistad ? When I was employed their we would use Maitland P.D. if we had to deal with an out of control patient. You are right in being asked to tell tall tails in our documation. It was always about the $.
orlando

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2008

Where in south Orlando? This paper never has facts.
Gloom and Doom

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2008

Judged:

Better make this a 500 bed facility because it's going to fill up quick with all the crazies and nuts we have around here. Sounds like a place where good drugs can be obtained on a regular basis. That's all we need.
Allen

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2008

For profit organizations like Universal Health have no interest in treating the indigent. The State which has the legal ability to approve the building of a new hospital lacks the guts to make new providers "do the right thing". When will we learn that for profit health care has destroyed the health care system and made the insurance companies and the for profit hospitals a fortune.
psychobabble

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2008

"sad but true" comment is probably more about bad management at that facility or directly over that department. I've seen length of stays drawn out as well at that can also be a Dr. issue. But that hospital is a residential facility so many times the insurance case managers will either stop authorizing or because Florida doesnt have parity laws the benefit does run out. No hospital can afford to keep patients in beds for long once they are no longer covered by the insurance. This would be true of medical facilities. It isn't that they don't care about the patients necessarily. Sorry but in the real world you have to pay for services.
coffeelover

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2008

Great! Now we know where to drop off McCain supporters.
seen_it

Goldsboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2008

Sounds just like Psychiatric Solutions, Inc (Nasdaq: PSYS...yes it's all about the $$$). You would not believe what goes on inside Holly Hill Hospital in Raleigh, NC. This contract psych vendor is wholly profit/revenue driven, at the expense of their [alleged] patients, the patients' families, and county and state taxpayers who end up paying the fees for this scam operator. People who merely come in contact with the facility (through referral by other "professionals", who may or may not be aware of the implications) are effectively coerced into committing themselves. The intake staff are experts at coercion and "psychiatric kidnapping". Once victims are admitted, they are managed as a revenue generating inventory into programs and treatment that literally have zero correlation to the person's issues (whatever milks the most revenue from the person's family and/or insurance)...
bipolar mom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Is there not anywhere where my son can get the help he needs? We pay out the nose for insurance so that he can get good help and all I keep reading about are scams...I was told that La Amistad was the best in our area! What now!

“LEST WE FORGET...”

Since: Apr 09

MT DORA FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

Judged:

Gloom and Doom wrote:
Better make this a 500 bed facility because it's going to fill up quick with all the crazies and nuts we have around here. Sounds like a place where good drugs can be obtained on a regular basis. That's all we need.
As a bipolar and recovering alcoholic (dual diagnosis; 25 yr recovery time) I resent the hell out of your obvious disdain for those with mental health issues. I hope you and/or yours never need their help - not.

“LEST WE FORGET...”

MT DORA FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2010

bipolar mom wrote:
Is there not anywhere where my son can get the help he needs? We pay out the nose for insurance so that he can get good help and all I keep reading about are scams...I was told that La Amistad was the best in our area! What now!
Lifestream in Leesburg FL
debbie

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2010

My husband needs help for bi-polar, insurance doesn't cover La Amistead, it is $450 a night if you have to pay, can anyone give me advice.? they don't even answer the calls anymore.
kim

Clermont, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

i wouldn't recommend lifestream; my daughter went there last yr and they didn't do anything and she hated it

“LEST WE FORGET...”

MT DORA FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2011

kim wrote:
i wouldn't recommend lifestream; my daughter went there last yr and they didn't do anything and she hated it
Did she hear "it works if you work it?" If you don't, it won't!

ps I am bipolar and spent "time" in Lifestream. They are good folks but IMO be careful of which doctor you get for follow up if you can influence the choice.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2011

Yay! At least Ron from Mascot TN will be welcome in at least one place in Orlando.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2011

Judged:

Charles R Darwin wrote:
Yay! At least Ron from Mascot TN will be welcome in at least one place in Orlando.
Unless he doesn't pay the $450 a night cover charge....
Bob P

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

I also worked at La Amistad, but my experience was just the opposite. I was the therapist on the adult unit, and although there were a few times when staff required reminders to stay focused on client's needs, as has been my experience in other similar facilities, I was never asked, nor did I hear it suggested, that we should chart falsely. True, I did not feel one of the doctors at the time was always at the top of his game, but in my view the program offered comprehensive treatment with a transition plan back to outside life. Unfortunately, not every client took advantage of the chance to work on their issues.
Warning FDA Approved

Winnipeg, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2013

Judged:

Anorexia is a recognized side effect of numerous vaccines.
Memorial H 10 4 Texas

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Good grief. There is nothing good to read in the Orlando threads.
Anorexia is an eating disorder.
HumanSpirit

Fort White, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2013

Judged:

No science to the mental health industry. No medical model. No evidence based medicine. No test for chemical imbalance of the brain to which the APA lied.

Psychiatric Diagnosis: Too Little Science, Too Many Conflicts of Interest [i]

Paula J. Caplan, Ph.D.

Harvard University

Snip:

The Concerns

There is a lot of pain and suffering in the world, and it is tempting to believe that the mental health community knows how to help. It is widely believed, both by mental health professionals and the general population, that if only a person gets the right psychiatric diagnosis, the therapist will know what kind of measures will be the most helpful. Unfortunately, that is not usually the case, and getting a psychiatric diagnosis can often create more problems than it solves, including a lifetime of being labeled, difficulties with obtaining affordable (or any) health insurance (due to now having a pre-existing condition), loss of employment, loss of child custody, the overlooking of physical illnesses and injuries because of everything being attributed to psychological factors, and the loss of the right to make decisions about oneís medical and legal affairs. The creation and use of psychiatric diagnosis, unlike, for instance, psychiatric drugs, is not overseen by any regulatory body, and rarely does anyone raise the question of what role the assignment of a psychiatric label has played in creating problems for individuals.[ii]

The Problematic History

These serious limitations have not prevented the authors of the American Psychiatric Associationís (APA) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), sometimes known as ďthe therapistís Bible,Ē from making expansive claims about their knowledge and authority and wielding enormous power to decide who will and will not be called mentally ill and what the varieties of alleged mental illness will be. The DSMís current edition is called DSM-IV-TR, and it was preceded by the original DSM (in 1952), then DSM-II (1968), DSM-III (1980), DSM-III-R (Third Edition Revised)(1987), DSM-IV (1994), and DSM-IV-TR (2000). The DSM-V is currently in preparation and slated for 2013 publication. Each time a new edition appears, the media ask whichever psychiatrist is the lead editor why a new edition was necessary, and like clockwork, each editor replies that it was because the previous edition really wasnít scientific (Caplan, 1995). And each time a new edition appears, it contains many more categories than does the previous one. For instance, DSM-III-R contained 297 categories, and DSM-IV contained 374 (Caplan, 1995).

I served as an advisor to two of the DSM-IV committees, before resigning due to serious concerns after witnessing how fast and loose they play with the scientific research related to diagnosis (Caplan, 1995). The DSM is widely used, not only in the mental health system, but also in general medical practice, in schools, and in the courts. I have been involved since 1985 in trying to alert both therapists and the public to the manualís unscientific nature and the dangers that believing in its objectivity poses. Since then, I have watched with interest a national trend toward gradually increasing openness to the idea that psychiatric diagnosis (A)is largely unscientific,(B)is highly subjective and political, and (C)can cause untold harm, ranging from the patientsí lowered self-confidence to loss of custody of children to loss of health insurance (because any psychiatric label can be considered evidence of a pre-existing condition) to loss of the right to make decisions about their medical and legal affairs.

More of this article:

http://awpsych.org/index.php...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Universal Health Services Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Universal Health Care Insurance settles dispute... (Dec '07) Oct '11 JessicaAtriedes 7
Complaint: Medicaid fraud at youth center in Va... (Mar '10) Apr '11 Simon 2
NJ pharmacy tech sues employer over mock holdup (Sep '09) Sep '09 Southampton resident 9
Abington Memorial buying Central Montgomery hos... (Dec '08) Dec '08 another hospital ... 2
Sex researcher Virginia Johnson sues (Nov '08) Nov '08 psychobabble 1
State OKs Medicare supplement plan (Jan '08) Jan '08 wgress 1
State OKs Medicare supplement plan (Jan '08) Jan '08 Dean Boyles 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Universal Health Services People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••