Smart, United Auto reach deal to brin...

Smart, United Auto reach deal to bring fortwo to the U.S. in ea...

There are 2 comments on the International Herald Tribune story from Nov 2, 2006, titled Smart, United Auto reach deal to bring fortwo to the U.S. in ea.... In it, International Herald Tribune reports that:

FRANKFURT, Germany: Smart GmbH and United Auto Group Inc. said Thursday that they will bring the two-seat smart fortwo to the U.S. in early 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at International Herald Tribune.

Carman

Owasso, OK

#1 Nov 3, 2006
They couldn't find enough buyers in Europe, some models were discontinued. They look too small and dangerous for U.S. roads. Tell me how one of these things pass a crash test. They are not exactly cheap either, how Smart is that?
Eric

West Linn, OR

#2 Nov 12, 2006
Too many models to support sales is a common mistake of car manufacturers. How many versions does the market really need?

The Smart's safety cell design actually makes it quite crashworthy. Better than the average small import the US now has.

As to cheap, I'm guessing you are looking at the prices of the gray market cars that are bought at retail in Europe, imported from Europe, then converted to US specs at a cost of around $5000-$7000. Then re-sold to dealerships to be retailed to US buyers at the ridiculous prices of around $28,000 usd.

Indeed, how smart is that? People still buy them, but I know I can't afford to pay that much for an economy car.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Auto Group Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Penske Automotive Expands Commercial Truck Deal... Feb '15 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Own a dead GM brand? Don't fret | The Columbus ... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Big Johnson 2
News GM to shut down Saturn as sale talks fail | The... (Sep '09) Jan '10 powell sinclair 72
News The Sun Sets on Saturn: GM Says 'So Long' (Oct '09) Oct '09 Chief Pontiac 18
News GM To Shut Down Saturn | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohi... (Sep '09) Oct '09 Mike 14
News GM To Shut Down Saturn After Penske Walks Away (Sep '09) Oct '09 D-MAN 3
News GM to Shut Down Saturn Division (Oct '09) Oct '09 susan morgan 1
More from around the web