So Long, Saturn: GM To Shutter Brand ...

So Long, Saturn: GM To Shutter Brand After Acquisition Talks Fail

There are 23 comments on the ABC News story from Sep 30, 2009, titled So Long, Saturn: GM To Shutter Brand After Acquisition Talks Fail. In it, ABC News reports that:

The Associated Press 31 comments General Motors Co. said Wednesday it would shut down its Saturn brand after an agreement with Penske Automotive Group Inc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
So Sad

Tonawanda, NY

#1 Sep 30, 2009
America has a pulse and GM just can't seem to put their finger on it...
Concerned American

Conway, AR

#2 Sep 30, 2009
Years ago, Saturn was said to be the car of the future, well design, well made, basically one of the best in it's price range.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#3 Sep 30, 2009
I still can not fathom why +$40billion was wasted on saving a DEAD company. GM and all it's affiliated brands should close their doors. GM has not made decent vehicle since the early 1970's

Since: Aug 09

South Africa

#4 Sep 30, 2009
"Saturn is one of four brands that G.M., which spent about six weeks in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection this year, plans to eliminate in the United States.

It is shutting down Pontiac by the end of the year, recently sold Saab to a company in Sweden and has a deal to sell Hummer to a Chinese manufacturer.

G.M. also has agreed to sell a majority of its European brand, Opel, to a group led by Magna International, a parts maker, and the Russian bank Sberbank."

Pontiac done, Saturn done, Hummer to the Chinese.

Are things looking better?
Say Hay

Utica, NY

#5 Sep 30, 2009
What a waste. I have a Saturn right now with 175,000 miles on it. I love it. But what brand lives on? Cadillac. Oh, well. As Dr. Murray Banks once said, "Henry Ford, with all his money, never had a Cadillac!"
Jacksonville Florida

Bradenton, FL

#6 Sep 30, 2009
The saturns I saw were mostly plastic. No wonder Pensky didn't want anything to do with saturns.
eric

Denmark, WI

#7 Sep 30, 2009
a very sad day in America! Saturn was a very nice inexpensive car! I had an SL1 in the 90s and it was an excellent car,my inlaws have a Saturn,again an excellent car!
Redneck

Las Vegas, NV

#9 Sep 30, 2009
How to get a leg up? ASk Mrs Hugh's...She went to the optomitrist...
Redneck

Las Vegas, NV

#10 Sep 30, 2009
Redneck

Las Vegas, NV

#11 Sep 30, 2009
Did she go to Harvard?
Redneck

Las Vegas, NV

#12 Sep 30, 2009
Has the Saturn survived the clunker buy out?
Redneck

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Sep 30, 2009
Great little car...
Motorhead

Dartmouth, Canada

#14 Sep 30, 2009
How about the new Chevy Equinox crossover SUV?....front end of a GMC Sierra and fenders from a Jeep Liberty...LOL. Geez, this vehicle looked fine as it was. If they need to upgrade the looks, why screw it up? WTF is wrong at GM?

As for Saturn...again what's wrong with GM. They should have killed Buick not Saturn. Buick is like Oldsmobile...no younger buyers etc..Saturn was greatly improved....the Aura sedan, the Astra, and their new SUV/crossovers looked great.

GM execs are all on drugs.
Jason Lee

Brook, IN

#15 Sep 30, 2009
Concerned American wrote:
Years ago, Saturn was said to be the car of the future, well design, well made, basically one of the best in it's price range.
Sure. But then for more than a decade they barely bothered to update that first model.
Motorhead

Dartmouth, Canada

#16 Oct 1, 2009
Motorhead wrote:
How about the new Chevy Equinox crossover SUV?....front end of a GMC Sierra and fenders from a Jeep Liberty...LOL. Geez, this vehicle looked fine as it was. If they need to upgrade the looks, why screw it up? WTF is wrong at GM?
As for Saturn...again what's wrong with GM. They should have killed Buick not Saturn. Buick is like Oldsmobile...no younger buyers etc..Saturn was greatly improved....the Aura sedan, the Astra, and their new SUV/crossovers looked great.
My above post was incorrect. It isn't the new Equinox, it is the new GMC Terrain.

Saw one yesterday and thought it was an Equinox. Nevertheless, it is still wacky and somewhat ugly.

It is a small SUV, but why is GM still obsessed with anything to do with SUV's. They have their large ones, they have the Equinox etc etc..and now another one. They would be better off diversifying in many cars.

Same old GM.
Jason Lee

Brook, IN

#17 Oct 1, 2009
Motorhead wrote:
<quoted text>
My above post was incorrect. It isn't the new Equinox, it is the new GMC Terrain.
Saw one yesterday and thought it was an Equinox. Nevertheless, it is still wacky and somewhat ugly.
It is a small SUV, but why is GM still obsessed with anything to do with SUV's. They have their large ones, they have the Equinox etc etc..and now another one. They would be better off diversifying in many cars.
Same old GM.
But, under the skin at least, the GMC Terrain IS the Chevrolet's Equinox.

At least they tried to make it look a little different, which, for GM, is an improvement. But it's still, really, just "badge engineering".

Nobody knows what the difference between the Chevy Truck market and the GMC market is supposed to be.

Just like we didn't know what the difference between the Oldsmobile and Buick market was supposed to be,

or what the diffence between the Chevy Car Market and the Saturn market is supposd to be.
GBA

Westland, MI

#18 Oct 1, 2009
Motorhead wrote:
The worst vehicle I ever owned was a Buick. I love my current little Saturn. GM what a mistake you have made. I agree with you GM should have killed Buick. And the Oldsmobile has to be one of the ugliest brands on the road right now. I was truly sad to hear GM killed Saturn. Truly sad.
But maybe now all those southern jerks (and I am a southern girl by birth-my southern father was the best-so don't take it personally boys) who blasted the 'yankee autoworkers for being the sole fault of GMs failure' will get their fair share of the pain and finally get IT-the real truth for GMs failure!
GBA

Westland, MI

#19 Oct 1, 2009
Sorry to post twice. Sometimes topix acts up!
Motorhead

Dartmouth, Canada

#20 Oct 1, 2009
GBA wrote:
<quoted text>
The worst vehicle I ever owned was a Buick. I love my current little Saturn. GM what a mistake you have made. I agree with you GM should have killed Buick. And the Oldsmobile has to be one of the ugliest brands on the road right now. I was truly sad to hear GM killed Saturn. Truly sad.
But maybe now all those southern jerks (and I am a southern girl by birth-my southern father was the best-so don't take it personally boys) who blasted the 'yankee autoworkers for being the sole fault of GMs failure' will get their fair share of the pain and finally get IT-the real truth for GMs failure!
Oldsmobile stopped production in 2004.
So Sad

Tonawanda, NY

#21 Oct 1, 2009
Motorhead wrote:
...GM execs are all on drugs.
A bunch of arrogant silver spoons... They "ran" the company into the dirt and they're walking away filthy rich. That's whats wrong with America.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Auto Group Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Penske Automotive Expands Commercial Truck Deal... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Own a dead GM brand? Don't fret | The Columbus ... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Big Johnson 2
News GM to shut down Saturn as sale talks fail | The... (Sep '09) Jan '10 powell sinclair 72
News The Sun Sets on Saturn: GM Says 'So Long' (Oct '09) Oct '09 Chief Pontiac 18
News GM To Shut Down Saturn | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohi... (Sep '09) Oct '09 Mike 14
News GM To Shut Down Saturn After Penske Walks Away (Sep '09) Oct '09 D-MAN 3
News GM to Shut Down Saturn Division (Oct '09) Oct '09 susan morgan 1
More from around the web