GM to shut down Saturn as sale talks ...

GM to shut down Saturn as sale talks fail | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 72 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Sep 30, 2009, titled GM to shut down Saturn as sale talks fail | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

General Motors Co. says it's shutting down the Saturn brand after an agreement with Penske Automotive Group Inc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Seriously Flawed

Powell, OH

#61 Oct 1, 2009
Mary wrote:
What a shame! Saturn always put their customers first. Their customer service was absolutely great! I can't help but think that there is more to this than meets the eye.
Lol! They put themselves first by ripping you off with their no-haggle pricing!
Seriously Flawed

Powell, OH

#62 Oct 1, 2009
Rcho wrote:
people chill out would ya!
the damn thing shouldn't be built on planet "Earth" to begin with, it's a feakin "Saturn".
Quite frankly, i would not and ever will buy a car from a company that name their truck line after the whole state of Colorado.
As Nancy Reagan said, "Just Say No!"

Saturn was named after the Saturn Rocket, not the planet. Get it? Saturn was the replacement for Oldsmobile, the rocket division, with the rocket engines and the rocket logos.
Seriously Flawed

Powell, OH

#63 Oct 1, 2009
Saturn was a big joke on educated people who think they are smart but have no street smarts whatsoever. They are basically the same suckers who buy $4 Starbucks coffee, overpay for Toyota Priuses and believe in the crock called global warming. Saturns in the last 10 years were the same as any other GM car. I thought they had decent styling, but why would anybody want to buy basically the same car for $2,000 more than the one you could get from a Chevy dealer? Not to mention the fact that all three dealerships were owned by the same group so there was no price competition. Saturn was a big joke.
Rich

Europe

#64 Oct 1, 2009
MIKE wrote:
i remember when those workers left michigan to go to spring hill tenn to start up a new plant they were given an option to remain with the uaw or go with a profit sharing program they shunned the uaw well guess what there was never any profit not sure those boys were too smart we will never know now.
How many UAW workers are out of a job during the same period because the UAW let GM shut down their plants and let the jobs go south or overseas?
Seriously Flawed

Powell, OH

#65 Oct 1, 2009
Rich wrote:
<quoted text>
How many UAW workers are out of a job during the same period because the UAW let GM shut down their plants and let the jobs go south or overseas?
Ummmmmmm ... what do you mean "let GM shut down their plants"? One of the main reasons GM went bust is because the union kept them hamstrung and they could not close plants. They had to continue paying workers whehter there was demand for cars or not. GM isn't a government program, it's a business.
anon5555

Columbus, OH

#66 Oct 1, 2009
my 2005 GM vehicle which i paid $29,000 for is literally falling apart.....the 'known' problems with this particular model are well known, I have experienced every one of them with this car and GM doesn't issue recalls to fix their junk, they just deny that there is a problem and the customer pays the price. I will never own another GM vehicle, new or used.....they are junk
Tim the Hunter

United States

#67 Oct 1, 2009
Tim T wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...really funny!
I think Penske saw a poor investment and cut his losses. Good riddens to Saturn. Kinda wish GM would have gone belly up also with it.
Yea that would have been great for the country. Idiot.
Tim the Hunter

United States

#68 Oct 1, 2009
anon5555 wrote:
my 2005 GM vehicle which i paid $29,000 for is literally falling apart.....the 'known' problems with this particular model are well known, I have experienced every one of them with this car and GM doesn't issue recalls to fix their junk, they just deny that there is a problem and the customer pays the price. I will never own another GM vehicle, new or used.....they are junk
My 2002 GM vehicle which cost 26k new has 216k on the odo and nothing has broke?
lfod

Defiance, OH

#69 Oct 1, 2009
Tim the Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea that would have been great for the country. Idiot.
We would have been better off. The STOCKHOLDERS would have had more say in what branches continued in reorganisation. Instead Obamas cronies, the unions, gained control, pension fund investments DISAPEARED costing many state and private funds billions. GM sales are still tanking. Ford took their lumps several years ago and is roaring ahead. GM and Chrysler are now the modern Titanic, and going down.( 1979 Chrysler gov was JUST loan Guarentees , which they paid back early. Penske is smart enough to read the writing, and abandon ship. A truthful example of Hopey Changey being a bunch of --- t!
Seriously Flawed

Columbus, OH

#70 Oct 1, 2009
They never learn, do they?

UAW=JOBS KILLER

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1241135476263...

"In 2005, GM lost $11 billion and the following year Ford lost $10 billion. To help them, the United Auto Workers agreed to cuts in retiree health care.

The union took a harder line with Chrysler. Despite the U.S. unit's losses, it argued, parent company DaimlerChrysler was still making money.

With discussions at an impasse, Mr. Zetsche tried to appeal one last time with UAW President Ron Gettelfinger by phone. The union boss wouldn't budge. Livid, Mr. Zetsche stormed out of his office, say people familiar with the matter, and snapped: "What do we have to do? Lose $10 billion to get a level playing field?"

Within weeks of the union rebuff, senior German executives began exploring the possibility of selling Chrysler."
Tim the Hunter

United States

#71 Oct 2, 2009
lfod wrote:
<quoted text>We would have been better off. The STOCKHOLDERS would have had more say in what branches continued in reorganisation. Instead Obamas cronies, the unions, gained control, pension fund investments DISAPEARED costing many state and private funds billions. GM sales are still tanking. Ford took their lumps several years ago and is roaring ahead. GM and Chrysler are now the modern Titanic, and going down.( 1979 Chrysler gov was JUST loan Guarentees , which they paid back early. Penske is smart enough to read the writing, and abandon ship. A truthful example of Hopey Changey being a bunch of --- t!
Actually your comment sounded as if you were O.K. with it's complete demise, which any intelligent person knows that's not going to be good for the economy nor the already high unemployment rate. I agree that the goverment and Slowbama should have stayed out of it and let them file and reorganize. I retract my "idiot" comment.

Since: Jun 09

United States

#72 Jan 22, 2010
Another first year Obama failure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Auto Group Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Penske Automotive Expands Commercial Truck Deal... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Own a dead GM brand? Don't fret | The Columbus ... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Big Johnson 2
News The Sun Sets on Saturn: GM Says 'So Long' (Oct '09) Oct '09 Chief Pontiac 18
News GM To Shut Down Saturn | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohi... (Sep '09) Oct '09 Mike 14
News GM To Shut Down Saturn After Penske Walks Away (Sep '09) Oct '09 D-MAN 3
News GM to Shut Down Saturn Division (Oct '09) Oct '09 susan morgan 1
News GM to shut down Saturn after Penske walks away (Sep '09) Oct '09 A Dozen Roses 57
More from around the web