GM to shut down Saturn as sale talks ...

GM to shut down Saturn as sale talks fail | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 72 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Sep 30, 2009, titled GM to shut down Saturn as sale talks fail | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

General Motors Co. says it's shutting down the Saturn brand after an agreement with Penske Automotive Group Inc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Burt

Columbus, OH

#1 Sep 30, 2009
I think Penske couldn't come up with the cash.
Paul Burns SoCal

Wahiawa, HI

#2 Sep 30, 2009
When will there be great deals on Saturn cars? Will there be a firesale? Anybody have an idea? I know there will be good deals overall at the end of the year. Inventories are increasing for most models after the run on cars from the Clunker escapade.
Mark

Saint Petersburg, FL

#3 Sep 30, 2009
Billions of taxpayer money given to a car company, GM, that is falling apart - brilliant.
The fat lady is singing

Wheelersburg, OH

#4 Sep 30, 2009
MMM MMMM MMMM Barrack Hussein O'bama, he saved GM but not Saturn, MMM MMM MMM.....
uhohrings

Logan, OH

#5 Sep 30, 2009
Sadly there are good people that will lose jobs here locally.
FedUpWithTheFed

Galion, OH

#6 Sep 30, 2009
Great job boosting our economy Obama. That auto bailout's working great. We had way too many people working anyway.
American Joe

Columbus, OH

#7 Sep 30, 2009
FedUpWithTheFed wrote:
Great job boosting our economy Obama. That auto bailout's working great. We had way too many people working anyway.
So, how would YOU hve handled it, genius? Go ahead, impress us with your vast ability and knowledge. Clue us in.
Mark

Saint Petersburg, FL

#8 Sep 30, 2009
Taking money from individuals and giving it to a company is theft - and, of course, unconstitutional.

Forcing car companies to adhere to ridiculous fuel economy standards and arbitrary environmental regulation helped to bankrupt GM and was/is unconstitutional.
really

Columbus, OH

#9 Sep 30, 2009
Shows you much faith there is in Government Motors. Even with Barry behind the wheel, Penske says no way.
Good for Penske, bad for taxpayers.
MIKE

Lakeview, OH

#10 Sep 30, 2009
i remember when those workers left michigan to go to spring hill tenn to start up a new plant they were given an option to remain with the uaw or go with a profit sharing program they shunned the uaw well guess what there was never any profit not sure those boys were too smart we will never know now.
MIKE

Lakeview, OH

#11 Sep 30, 2009
keep shunning unions see where that gets you.
Seriously Flawed

Columbus, OH

#12 Sep 30, 2009
Saturn was a lame-brained idea from the start from GM, a company known for gimmicks over substance. First of all, the cars were never top notch. Second, no haggle pricing is a rip off. You could always get a better deal on a comparably equipped Chevrolet. GM should have spent its billions on revamping its existing lineup.
Jay

Columbus, OH

#13 Sep 30, 2009
Saturns were pretty much junk anyways so no loss.
FedUpWithTheFed

Galion, OH

#14 Sep 30, 2009
Jay wrote:
Saturns were pretty much junk anyways so no loss.
Actually, it's a huge loss. Lot's of hard working Americans are now out of work. The economy can't afford any more job losses, and the American people can't stand more economic hardship.
American Joe

Columbus, OH

#15 Sep 30, 2009
FedUpWithTheFed wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it's a huge loss. Lot's of hard working Americans are now out of work. The economy can't afford any more job losses, and the American people can't stand more economic hardship.
You haven't given us your brilliant counter plan on hw YOU would have avoided all of this mess. Show us how YOU would have kept GM (and Saturn) from tanking -- as opposed to Obama and the Dems.

unrepentant

Since: Sep 09

pickerington

#16 Sep 30, 2009
American Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't given us your brilliant counter plan on hw YOU would have avoided all of this mess. Show us how YOU would have kept GM (and Saturn) from tanking -- as opposed to Obama and the Dems.
One idea.Let them fail.
The heartbeat of America is going to stop.
blah blah blah

Columbus, OH

#17 Sep 30, 2009
I have actually owned my Saturn for 6 years and have never had a problem with it. My ex had one as well and it was great. I have owned Hondas in the past and my family has has Chevy's and toyotas as well. I would take my Saturn over any of them any day. It has been reliable, safe, and I have always been impressed with the service. When I bought it, I was very happy with the process-as opposed to some other places around Columbus where I felt like I was being taken.
It's a shame that many good, hard working Americans will lose their job and my choice to buy future Saturns is lost.
Anyone know how I'll be able to get serviced when they finally do close?
FedUpWithTheFed

Galion, OH

#18 Sep 30, 2009
American Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have let them go bankrupt. Chapter 11 bankruptcy was created to help companies that need protection from their creditors. It would allow them to restructure their liabilities and renegotiate salaries and benefits, which would allow them to compete with the foreign auto makers.
Seriously Flawed

Columbus, OH

#19 Sep 30, 2009
American Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you just love all these citizen economists? They don't like the fact that Obama "fired" Rick Wagoner; They don't like the fact that Obama "closed" dealers; They don't like the fact that Obama loaned them money and dictated how they were going to use it; They don't like the fact that Obama saved the banks from financially imploding ... What these people don't understand is that each of these actions was proper under both law and common business practice.

In bankruptcy, it is well accepted that you can terminate agreements, such as leases. The law has been this way for dozens of years. Terminating dealers is thus not a novel concept, it is only because dealers are so wealthy and powerful that you are able to hear all of their crying and screaming. In fact, it can be argued that dealers had way too much power over manufacturers and helped put them in the condition they are in.

As to dictating who is the CEO of GM, Obama was the lender, i.e. the bank. The bank has every right to set conditions under which it will loan money to any company, including a change in leadership. Obama didn't "fire" Rick Wagoner. All he said was, "I'm not willing to loan money to the current regime." Rick Wagoner was free to stay and get a loan somewhere else.

I do take issue with the fact that the unions were favored over creditors higher up the totem pole, but the bottom line is that the Government bought the assets it wanted from GM and Chrysler, paid money for them, and is free to dole out ownership in whatever manner it wants.
American Joe

Columbus, OH

#20 Sep 30, 2009
FedUpWithTheFed wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have let them go bankrupt. Chapter 11 bankruptcy was created to help companies that need protection from their creditors. It would allow them to restructure their liabilities and renegotiate salaries and benefits, which would allow them to compete with the foreign auto makers.
But, that wasn't Obama who initially bailed them out, friend. It was the previous administration.

Incidently, it was Obama who held them to requirements and accountability, unlike Bush who just handed over 17 billion of our dollars.

GM went through a record bankruptcy, and now for the first time they're actually hiring folks back.

Check your facts, ace.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

United Auto Group Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Penske Automotive Expands Commercial Truck Deal... (Feb '15) Feb '15 Gerald Vonberger 1
News Own a dead GM brand? Don't fret | The Columbus ... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Big Johnson 2
News The Sun Sets on Saturn: GM Says 'So Long' (Oct '09) Oct '09 Chief Pontiac 18
News GM To Shut Down Saturn | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohi... (Sep '09) Oct '09 Mike 14
News GM To Shut Down Saturn After Penske Walks Away (Sep '09) Oct '09 D-MAN 3
News GM to Shut Down Saturn Division (Oct '09) Oct '09 susan morgan 1
News GM to shut down Saturn after Penske walks away (Sep '09) Oct '09 A Dozen Roses 57
More from around the web