Monterey man seeks a hand, not a handout

Monterey man seeks a hand, not a handout

There are 32 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Nov 28, 2010, titled Monterey man seeks a hand, not a handout. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Bob Rich has come close to being evicted from his Monterey apartment after his hours at a countertop construction company were reduced.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chuck U Farley

Chualar, CA

#1 Nov 28, 2010
Soon the Banks and Corporations will own everything. They planned it a long time ago.It sure SUCKS being a POOR SURF we got BETRAYED and our jobs exported. TIME FOR ANOTHER REVOLUTION....BOYCOTT TAXES

“Random things”

Since: Nov 10

Why not?

#2 Nov 28, 2010
yup
Tony

Marina, CA

#3 Nov 28, 2010
Living the California Dream!... Keep on voting Democrat and blaming the rich... Hey Bob they still hire white people for construction in Nashville TN AND they do spot checks on Immigration status at construction sites! Clarksville, TN is in a building boom because of all the Businesses leaving California and New York... You can also get a modern apartment for 350.00 and gas is 1.50 a gallon cheaper.
Kim

Salinas, CA

#4 Nov 28, 2010
Amazing! This is a really pathetic photograph of an overweight, out of shape, middle aged man resting on his lazy boy recliner; begging for handouts. Are you stupid ? There are so many young single women trying to feed their children, who work many minimum wage jobs to survive. They are not acting needy "Poor Me", with their hands out. They are cooking, cleaning and doing what it takes to survive. Open your eyes! This was an extremely poor choice of NEEDY candidates. Very Sad!
tweedledee

Monterey, CA

#5 Nov 28, 2010
yes I like the boycott tax idea...WHAT are we going to do as so many of us have had to cash in ANY retirment we have had just to live....lost jobs,etc...I fear EVERYDAY what I am going to do ,what will i have to 'live' off of etc...I read a comment earlier and the gentleman said when the cash ran out it would be time to meet smith and wesson....I CAN relate...its very scary....I did not come all this way and save for retirment,cash it in etc to live on cat food in my elder years...out of a shopping basket at that.
This US is a disgrace.....
CVnative

Monterey, CA

#6 Nov 28, 2010
Kim wrote:
Amazing! This is a really pathetic photograph of an overweight, out of shape, middle aged man resting on his lazy boy recliner; begging for handouts. Are you stupid ? There are so many young single women trying to feed their children, who work many minimum wage jobs to survive. They are not acting needy "Poor Me", with their hands out. They are cooking, cleaning and doing what it takes to survive. Open your eyes! This was an extremely poor choice of NEEDY candidates. Very Sad!
KIM..you ARE amen spirited woman.There are millions like him in this country.I AM a single mom with kids at home and I have to pay for everything..I get by but I DO sympathize with Mr. Rich.....
CVnative

Monterey, CA

#7 Nov 28, 2010
Tony wrote:
Living the California Dream!... Keep on voting Democrat and blaming the rich... Hey Bob they still hire white people for construction in Nashville TN AND they do spot checks on Immigration status at construction sites! Clarksville, TN is in a building boom because of all the Businesses leaving California and New York... You can also get a modern apartment for 350.00 and gas is 1.50 a gallon cheaper.
There is NO California dream,American Dream....all horses--t...the rich coperates are taking over and the rest of us pay they're way...its really SICKENING....
Crack Baby

Monterey, CA

#8 Nov 28, 2010
Ironic that his name is Rich...there are millions of "Bobs" out there and more coming, we don't see much of it around here as it's a fairly affluent area but rest assured, their coffers are draining too..For there to be an upper middle class there has to be a middle class....perhaps when the I Help program that serves the homeless becomes overwhelmed and a tent city sprouts up at the fairgrounds and you see your old insurance agent with a "Please help" sign at the Home Depot parking lot, folks like Miz Kim will get the picture...as Mr. Carlin once said..."They call it the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it"....Keep on truckin', Bob...you, my friend are not alone in this...
Im Just Saying

Salinas, CA

#9 Nov 28, 2010
Awww...poor baby, but doesn't EDD have a retraining program? If your industry is dead, learn a new trade. Doesn't sound like he has anyone else to support, so he has plenty of time to go to school.
imagine

Monterey, CA

#10 Nov 28, 2010
Im Just Saying wrote:
Awww...poor baby, but doesn't EDD have a retraining program? If your industry is dead, learn a new trade. Doesn't sound like he has anyone else to support, so he has plenty of time to go to school.
YOU and KIM are just plain HEARTLESS and COLD....I am sure he has been doing other jobs other than his trade to keep up.We ALL have had to find other means of support....gee maybe your day will come too...and you had better hope people sre kinder than YOU when your hand is out for a little bit of extra help!!
I find you and Kim cold,mean spirited,selfish and rude.
Im Just Saying

Salinas, CA

#11 Nov 28, 2010
imagine wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU and KIM are just plain HEARTLESS and COLD....I am sure he has been doing other jobs other than his trade to keep up.We ALL have had to find other means of support....gee maybe your day will come too...and you had better hope people sre kinder than YOU when your hand is out for a little bit of extra help!!
I find you and Kim cold,mean spirited,selfish and rude.
For your information, since you think you can "find" out a person's character in a single comment. I adopt a FAMILY every year and give back to the community as much as I can. No...I don't have too much sympathy for a "man" who has a tough time just supporting himself. Who I do have sympathy for are the WOMEN raising CHILDREN by themselves because their "man" can't grow a set. Do you think I have a little bit of a heart now?
UH-NO

Monterey, CA

#13 Nov 28, 2010
Im Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
For your information, since you think you can "find" out a person's character in a single comment. I adopt a FAMILY every year and give back to the community as much as I can. No...I don't have too much sympathy for a "man" who has a tough time just supporting himself. Who I do have sympathy for are the WOMEN raising CHILDREN by themselves because their "man" can't grow a set. Do you think I have a little bit of a heart now?
I think you're sheltered and ignorant. Same as Kim.
lilkim

Salinas, CA

#14 Nov 28, 2010
Kim wrote:
Mothers with kids get welfare
imagine

Monterey, CA

#15 Nov 28, 2010
Im Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Well FYI..I AM single mom,raising a child alone(deadbeat dad) and I too do MANY charitable things as well,often feed extra prople when they are hungry,share what I can etc.I am just barely making ends meet on my own and know how hard it is BUT I still am empathetic to whats a mess the wonderful US of A is in and how hard it is....and the fact the guy is still at least working well hes doing what he can.I KNOW FIRST HAND how hard it is and I know first hand many,many men and women ,all sober that are trying to make it.To be RUDE I find cold and heartless...understand where I am coming from????The act of at least giving a warm meal,a few bucks or a kind word is not too tough....unlike MEAN comments.
taxpayer

Monterey, CA

#16 Nov 28, 2010
GOD KNOWS THAT IF HE WERE ILLEGAL..HE WOULD GET FREE RENT/MEDICAL AND FOOD BUT HE IS A LEGAL CITIZEN OF USA WHO WORKED HARD I ASSUME AND THIS IS USED AGAINST HIM.
IN WATSONVILLE, I DID A CHECK ON THE NEW CLINIC THERE WHERE 99% WERE SPEAKING SPANISH...THE LADY TOLD SEVERAL PEOPLE IN SPANISH ( MY FRIEND HAD HIS PHONE ON SO IT WAS RECORDED BY MISTAKE) AND THE LADY SAID TO MAKE UP A NUMBER AND IT ALL WILL BE FREE
taxpayer

Monterey, CA

#17 Nov 28, 2010
MOST OF THESE WELL KNOWN CONTRACTORS HERE IN THE MONTERY AREA HIRE ILLEGALS..THIS WELL KNOWN MASONRY GUY OUT OF CV MAKES A FORTUNE AND HIRES MOSTLY ILLEGALS..GO AFTER THESE CONTRACTORS ESPECIALLY THE WELL KNOWN ONES AND THE LANDSCAPERS WHO ARE WELL KNOWN IN OUR AREA
Bill

Salinas, CA

#18 Nov 28, 2010
taxpayer wrote:
MOST OF THESE WELL KNOWN CONTRACTORS HERE IN THE MONTERY AREA HIRE ILLEGALS..THIS WELL KNOWN MASONRY GUY OUT OF CV MAKES A FORTUNE AND HIRES MOSTLY ILLEGALS..GO AFTER THESE CONTRACTORS ESPECIALLY THE WELL KNOWN ONES AND THE LANDSCAPERS WHO ARE WELL KNOWN IN OUR AREA
Especially the ones in Carmel Valley and Monterrey. And all the people that contribute by hiring them like the gardeners,roofers,motels,hotel s,and ranchers.
CVnative

Monterey, CA

#19 Nov 29, 2010
taxpayer wrote:
I KNOW many of these contractors and they should be presecuted to the fullest for knowingly hiring illegals.It takes jobs from the many legals.I also believe they should be policed and illegals should be shipped back home asap....they collect eages for cash on one ahnd and on the other they drain our welfare,food stamp etc etc....no wonder people need to ask for a helping hand.
CVnative

Monterey, CA

#20 Nov 29, 2010
Im Just Saying wrote:
EDD in NO way can support a person...I know first hand.you get about 1300.00 every 4 months...YOU try and live off that,after you buy books,supplies and registration fees!!YOU are an jerk
Im Just Saying

San Francisco, CA

#21 Nov 29, 2010
CVnative wrote:
<quoted text>
EDD in NO way can support a person...I know first hand.you get about 1300.00 every 4 months...YOU try and live off that,after you buy books,supplies and registration fees!!YOU are an jerk
If I did it...anybody can. YOU are a ignorant fool if you CAN'T. Sounds like a lot of haters commenting can use some cheese with their "whine".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

TV Azteca SA Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Salinas native set to co-star in her first movie (Sep '11) Aug '16 Salas Califas Aztlan 14
News Letters: No local paper would be a shame (Dec '08) Mar '14 Carol 2
Election Whitman, Brown clash in final debate tonight (Oct '10) Feb '13 Crusher 203
News Wall Street trips and falls on cloudy Italian e... (Feb '13) Feb '13 european2012 1
News AMC's 'Walking Dead' walks tall, with 9.5M viewers (Oct '12) Oct '12 Saluki Rod 1
News Olympic trials, talent show give NBC ratings boost (Jul '12) Jul '12 howudoin60160 1
News 'The Voice' a positive for NBC in ratings (Mar '12) Apr '12 itsmejd 2
More from around the web