Santa Barbara wildfire burns homes

Full story: Daily Breeze

Fierce winds sent a wildfire surging into the city Wednesday, igniting homes and forcing thousands of people to flee as smoke rose from many neighborhoods in one of California's most scenic coastal enclaves.
Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated May 9, 2009

“Is the mike on?”

Since: Apr 08

Los Angeles

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2009

Ah...it's that time of the year again. Fire season.
To those transplanted L.A./Southern Californians/Southlanders - we do have change of seasons. You should know that by now. Fire is a natural process...just part of an ecosystem.
It is man that makes it a disaster.
To the fire department...keep up the good work.
To the residents...I'm sure most of you followed the rules to clear brush in your area but crap happens. Hang in there.
Susan Byers

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2009

Judged:

Great comment BentoWarrior. I think that is a huge problem is with people not keeping the 100' defensible space. I was looking at some photos of a place that had been ravaged by fires last year. The ones with the defensible space were saved while others were lost. It is not that complicated and it is the law. I wonder who is paying for all the increases in homeowners insurance because of the massive loss of homes?

These people depend on fire fighters to be their security systems to save their homes and I do not think that is a realistic expectation. Why are homeowners taking the responsibility and fire safing their homes. Between defensible space and an exterior foam system like Castle Defense Residential Fire Protection offers, they would probably still have a home to go to. I hear the Robo CAF is spendy, but it would be worth evacuating your home knowing that system will foam down their homes every 15 minutes or so, automatically, and lasts until they shut if off remotely or it runs out of water.

Wow, what a concept?! Ideas that could prevent millions of dollars worth of damages, would potentially lower homeowners insurance, and enables the fire fighters to fight fire instead of being personal property guards.

Fire fighters, you keep up the good work and my heart goes out to your injured comrades. My prayers are with you.
Gvanderburg

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2009

Judged:

god bless you all, as a ex EMT for AMR i haved worked fires in LA county, and Ventura county years on back! BE SAFE ALL!
XXX

Ludington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

move or die
XXX

Ludington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2009

daily breeze

what a joke

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••