Family Of Woman Killed In Concrete Tr...

Family Of Woman Killed In Concrete Truck Crash Files Suit

There are 39 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from Apr 14, 2008, titled Family Of Woman Killed In Concrete Truck Crash Files Suit. In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

The family of a woman who was killed after a concrete truck landed on top of her sport utility vehicle on John Carpenter Freeway in Dallas filed a lawsuit Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DJS

United States

#1 May 2, 2008
I think if the family wanted to sue someone, it should be the person who cut off the cement truck. We've all been in rush hour traffic whether is Ft. Worth, Dallas, Austin, or wherever where there is always SOMEONE who thinks they are much more important than everyone else and is seen speeding down the road, weaving in and out of traffic with no regard for anyone else. While I realize, we may never find out who was truly responsible for this tragic accident - that is exactly what it was. Someone with no regard for anyone else, cut in front of a loaded cement truck (and we all just KNOW big trucks can just stop on a dime.............) who's driver apparently did their level best to avoid a collision and just flat couldn't.
Benn

Lewisville, TX

#2 May 2, 2008
Okay, well we all figured the family would sue. But, what does the report say? Was the concrete truck tailgating or did someone cut him off? We were not there and we can't take everything the lawyer says as the truth. If indeed someone cut him off like he says why are we not blaming that person? Did the truck driver do all he could? Let's not jump to conclusions like the rest of the news leads us to do.

Since: Jan 08

Arlington, TX

#3 May 3, 2008
Unfortunately, without a witness, it's the driver's word against......well no one's. The only other person who can say what did or didn't happen was the "alleged" other car.

And I've been cut off before. The simple rule is, don't drive too fast and you'll be able to react to the idiots.
barry

Dallas, TX

#4 May 3, 2008
everyone will agree that the death of the childs mother is a tragedy .it's a sad fact of life that accidents do happen , whether they are preventable or non-preventable . i'm sure the truckdriver feels terrible and will be haunted by this for the rest of his life. maybe the company should be sued , in order to help the family out financially in their time of need . but , to attack the driver is un-neccesary . so what if he had a dwi when he was 21 years old . most of us did something stupid at an early age . as far as his poor driving record , i doubt if that is a major issue either . the company he drove for is a major player in the concrete industry , and i don't think they would employ someone with current major offences on their driving record . it's the lawyers job to attack the driver and his company any way he can to achieve a large settlement , but that doesn't make all the allegations true. a tragic accident , a loss for everyone involved , and money won't change that.
Rob

Joshua, TX

#5 May 3, 2008
Why is it the first thing people want to do when a company vehicle is involved in a accident is sue.My heart goes out to the familys involved but lets get the facts first.
Truck Driver

United States

#6 May 3, 2008
Ok, I feel for the family but it is stupid for their attorney to say this never should have happened. Unless you have driven a big truck in dallas or anywhere with traffic you can't say anything, people on the road have no respect for trucks they pull out in front of us all the time, it's like they think we can stop on a dime. We can be doing everything perfect but one mistake like a car whipping over in front of you could cause something like this. Also for them to say he never should have been behind the wheel because he had a DWI 10 years ago is stupid, That was 10 YEARS AGO, I don't agree with drinking and driving but in this accident he was not drinking and that should have nothing to do with this. And just because it was a clear day does'nt mean a accident could'nt happen. This company would not have hired this man with a bad driving record, I know about this company and they have a very good record. It's an accident people they happen thats why they are called accidents, but in wonderfull America we have to have somebody to blame so we can make a buck. I am very sorry for the family of this lady my thoughts and prayers will be with them, But lets stop the needless lawsuits which are also killing are economy, And try to remember the loved one and not focus on just trying to make a fast buck.
Chrissy

Hurst, TX

#7 May 3, 2008
That is sad that the family is using this poor womans death as a way to get more money. Yes accidents happen that is why we have life insurance to help. So why do they need to blame someone for this tradegy when there was no way to prevent it. They can fight all they want about the truck drivers driving habits but in reality traffic is terrible in DFW and you cannot plan for everything unfortunatly. I do feel sorry for the family in regard to their dead relative but otherwise this is low. That man probably feels terrible and did not mean for any of that to happen.
TSL

Dallas, TX

#8 May 3, 2008
How stupid, Sorry for the family loss but a law suit for an obvious accident. This stuff happens even on a clear friday afternoon. People think just because a business is invovled they can get some money. Poor driver, this will haunt him for the rest of his life, and know they want to drag him threw the mud. Maybe someone should find the car that cut him off and sue them, they didn't even care enough to stop. People need to stop blaming truck drivers for everything if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have anything, no food in the stores no gas at the gas station and yes no cement driveways.......
Scott

Dallas, TX

#9 May 3, 2008
The more I think about this the madder I get, another stupid law suit is right. This family is sick using her death to profit, If they need help with the funeral expense I bet TXI would help, But to sue them just shows greed. But it may not be there fault some scumbag lawyer probably came to them and gave the idea so he could make a buck too.
EricDallas

Denton, TX

#10 May 3, 2008
Scott wrote:
The more I think about this the madder I get, another stupid law suit is right. This family is sick using her death to profit, If they need help with the funeral expense I bet TXI would help, But to sue them just shows greed. But it may not be there fault some scumbag lawyer probably came to them and gave the idea so he could make a buck too.
Wow Scott! If my wife was killed, I would sue. I would sue everyone that could be sued. This is a tragedy, and I am confident that the State of Texas is at fault for not having the concrete walls high enough. Maybe more so than the concrete truck driver. But this guy was a "professional" and he should have been able to maintain control of his vehicle.

Filing a lawsuit is more or less a formality now-a-days. TXI probably has really good insurance that will cover this lawsuit, but you have to file to get results, the insurance companies are dogs sometimes.

The family has a great deal of suffering still ahead of them, the child will have no mother, I think they deserve something for their pain from someone.
Clifton Pyle

Washington, NC

#11 May 3, 2008
How many of you have ever actually stopped a 80,000 pound vehicle, or even attempted to stabilize a 80,000 lb. vehicle after you have been cut off???
joebee

Gainesville, TX

#12 May 3, 2008
gee eric you must be an att. or married to one. or are you just greedy. think what we are teaching our kids. if you don't get what you want or if you don't like what you get out of life sue sue sue insurance will pay. well i don't like paying high insurance premiums because people like you and lawyers are sue happy. personaly i leave enough room between me and the next car but i am sure its a**holes lioke you that squeeze in because you are more important, or didn't leave in time to make it to where you are going. so there you go no more extra room. we have to slow down because of you, or stop on a dime, or god forbid cause a wreck. back before the walls they had less wrecks do you think is was because they were say payed more attention, drove slower, or just more god fearing.
EricDallas

Denton, TX

#13 May 3, 2008
joebee wrote:
gee eric you must be an att. or married to one. or are you just greedy. think what we are teaching our kids. if you don't get what you want or if you don't like what you get out of life sue sue sue insurance will pay. well i don't like paying high insurance premiums because people like you and lawyers are sue happy. personaly i leave enough room between me and the next car but i am sure its a**holes lioke you that squeeze in because you are more important, or didn't leave in time to make it to where you are going. so there you go no more extra room. we have to slow down because of you, or stop on a dime, or god forbid cause a wreck. back before the walls they had less wrecks do you think is was because they were say payed more attention, drove slower, or just more god fearing.
Sorry you think I am an ahole. I am sure it is hard to stop a concrete truck. But this is supposed to be a professinal driver. I really think if he was going the speed limit (although no one said he was speeding) and even if someone cut in front of him, he could have controlled the accident outcome better. You don't slam a fully filled concrete truck into a 24" concrete wall. You are going to go over it. He should have been more prepared for this and took out the car that cut him off, if there was one.

Bottom line is the lady did nothing wrong. She was driving down the road and bam, a concrete truck is on top of her. Someone is at fault and it certainly wasn't her.

Again I would sue every one. And your insurance premiums would not be my concern. I would be pissed. And no I do not cut people off. I am a careful driver I think, but my drivig habits are not the topic.

I hope the family get a wad of money.
joebee

Gainesville, TX

#14 May 3, 2008
EricDallas wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you think I am an ahole. I am sure it is hard to stop a concrete truck. But this is supposed to be a professinal driver. I really think if he was going the speed limit (although no one said he was speeding) and even if someone cut in front of him, he could have controlled the accident outcome better. You don't slam a fully filled concrete truck into a 24" concrete wall. You are going to go over it. He should have been more prepared for this and took out the car that cut him off, if there was one.
Bottom line is the lady did nothing wrong. She was driving down the road and bam, a concrete truck is on top of her. Someone is at fault and it certainly wasn't her.
Again I would sue every one. And your insurance premiums would not be my concern. I would be pissed. And no I do not cut people off. I am a careful driver I think, but my drivig habits are not the topic.
I hope the family get a wad of money.

Have you ever been in an accident. I mean a 100% true accident. there is no way to know what the outcome. is it going to be should i go this way or that way. 60 miles an hour down a road dosen't give you a whole lot of time to think OK LET ME THINK IF I GOT THIS WHy I WILL HIT HER IF I GO THAT WAY I WILL HIT HIM. It dosen't mater if your a proffessinal driver, race car driver or novice driver. No she was not at fault but if he was cut off nither was he. He made a choice who know the other choices could have killed more people including children.
Larry

Milwaukee, WI

#15 May 3, 2008
The only accident that is preventable, is if you are sitting still and hit by another vehicle. The concrete truck driver was either not paying attention to his surroundings, going too fast for traffic conditions or following to close. These are factors that every professional truck driver should avoid.

As far as taking legal action, TXI is most likely self insured. They probably have already set money aside for this event. For the family to get full benifits, the must file a law suit. These days people just don't step up and offer money to a family who has suffered such a tragic loss.
joebee wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever been in an accident. I mean a 100% true accident. there is no way to know what the outcome. is it going to be should i go this way or that way. 60 miles an hour down a road dosen't give you a whole lot of time to think OK LET ME THINK IF I GOT THIS WHy I WILL HIT HER IF I GO THAT WAY I WILL HIT HIM. It dosen't mater if your a proffessinal driver, race car driver or novice driver. No she was not at fault but if he was cut off nither was he. He made a choice who know the other choices could have killed more people including children.
Nettie

United States

#16 May 3, 2008
Personally I detest having to drive anywhere in or near Dallas or Ft.Worth.There are too many people driving like they own the roads and are accidents waiting to happen themselves.This accident was truely horrid but does it really suprise you?Too many people are in this great big hurry to get somewhere not caring about their or anyone elses safety.Same as when good someritans getting hit on the side of the road.
speter42

Minneapolis, MN

#17 May 4, 2008
Although tragic,...I suspect $$$ in someones eyes. I can't help wondering if the victim is a legal resident.
Rebecca

Mckinney, TX

#18 May 4, 2008
This was a terrible accident and I feel badly for all involved, but it takes the edge off when their next reaction is to sue someone for MONEY. I find that very distasteful.
TmE

Grapevine, TX

#19 May 4, 2008
Under the circumstances I MIGHT sue also. These are the reasons. It would take a suit to obtain access to the maintenance reports on these trucks. What if this truck had faulty brakes, overloaded, etc? It just about takes a suit to obtain access to all of the police reports. They would have gone to the scene and checked for skid marks and their angle, length, direction, etc. What if there were none? What if they found the driver was under the influence of even cold medicine? None of this type of information is just handed over freely. The police reports should eventually under the freedom of information act but none of the rest will. After the discovery if I found there was no reason to fault the trucking company I would drop it and not go to trial as it would have been a pure accident but if I found out otherwise it would be a different story.
amazed

Irving, TX

#20 May 4, 2008
Why don't they sue the company that made the abrrier that he hopped over too...it was not tall enough to keep him on the other side. While they are at it sue the car manufacturer because the roof did not hold up, and of course there is God because he did not stop it! Come on people, put the ambulance chasers out of business and quit suing everybody for every thing. This was a tragic ACCIDENT. It happened and if it had happened to someone else this family may not have given it a second thought. Accidents happen to good people, it does not mean the living should lose their lively hood. If he had been drunk or on drugs then that is a whole different thing. Mourn your loss and let the living live. Why tear apart another family. Kick your ambulance chaser to the curb.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Industries Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Does Cemex Still Have Room to Run? (Oct '09) Oct '09 cxforlongtime 1
More from around the web