Plastican Inc. acquisition will not affect jobs, firm official says - Sentinel & Enterprise

Full story: Sentinel & Enterprise

Plastican Inc., a local maker of plastic containers, has been acquired by Atlanta-based BWAY Holding Co., said Jeffrey M. O'Connell, treasurer and secretary of BWAY.
Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Nov 16, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Simon says

Fitchburg, MA

#1 Oct 13, 2010
Everyone that believes jobs won't be affected stand on your head.

Good Bye Leominster. Bet Sam is rolling over in his grave!
conserned

Clinton, MA

#2 Oct 13, 2010
Simon says wrote:
Everyone that believes jobs won't be affected stand on your head.
Good Bye Leominster. Bet Sam is rolling over in his grave!
I have to agree. They say that now but in a few years see what happens. Its happened before look what became of C-plastics, they moved out of Leominster after being bought out !
Area Mom

United States

#3 Oct 13, 2010
Nothing is ever definite! If you re-read the article, they say "forseeable future". The economy is the economy and there is nothing anyone can do about anything! They could have come in and closed the doors first thing Monday morning, but they didn't.

I agree, it would be sad to see Plastican go. But unfortunately it is 2010. It is the corporate world now...gone are the days that you would get a job out of high school and retire at the same place of employment. Change can be a good thing.
Simon says

Fitchburg, MA

#4 Oct 13, 2010
Area Mom wrote:
Nothing is ever definite! If you re-read the article, they say "forseeable future". The economy is the economy and there is nothing anyone can do about anything! They could have come in and closed the doors first thing Monday morning, but they didn't.
I agree, it would be sad to see Plastican go. But unfortunately it is 2010. It is the corporate world now...gone are the days that you would get a job out of high school and retire at the same place of employment. Change can be a good thing.
That's just BS, because no one can see into the future. They already know there plans!
Area Mom

United States

#5 Oct 13, 2010
Simon says wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just BS, because no one can see into the future. They already know there plans!
THEIR plans??

We could have a pissing contest about this from now until eternity, but it is negative people like you who put people needlessly up in arms. Who's to say that Plastican wasn't have a hard time and this company is saving them?? Only the two CEO's know the truth...and there is nothing any of us can do to change it.
leominsterman

Leominster, MA

#6 Oct 13, 2010
more jobs leaving Leominster...always promise the white house and give them the outhouse
Hahahaha

Fitchburg, MA

#7 Oct 13, 2010
leominsterman wrote:
more jobs leaving Leominster...always promise the white house and give them the outhouse
What jobs are leaving as a result of this?
Area Mom

United States

#8 Oct 14, 2010
Hahahaha wrote:
<quoted text>
What jobs are leaving as a result of this?
Thank you!!! The article I read said nothing about job loss! I hate negative people!
Excallaber

Waltham, MA

#9 Oct 15, 2010
WaaaaaaaaaaaaaWaaaaaaaaaaaWaaa aaaaaaaaaa
looks like I need to change some more diapers
THUMPER

Schaumburg, IL

#10 Oct 19, 2010
Those who feel as if the Plastican employees have been taken care of by this company properly and honorably are sorely mistaken. The production workers are only making $9.00 per hour to work in that god awful place. There are many long time employees there with over 20 years of service who do not even have a pension, just a 401K plan.

As for those who believe that any laid- off workers would just bounce back and that "Change would be a good thing" you are so wrong. I have had two very close family members laid-off from long time employers in the last 18 months. One just started a new job and the other was re-trained in a new field and is still searching for a job in this tough job market. Try telling a person over 55 years of age that everything will be alright when age discrimination is rampant.
INS

Fitchburg, MA

#11 Oct 20, 2010
Go wait at the International golf course and look for the short little big italian guy getting into one of his ferrari's.Ask him for the truth.
Friends

Norcross, GA

#12 Nov 2, 2010
Just an FYI they have started to lay people off from their job due to the buy-out. I just pray for the families who have lost their jobs and may God continue to bless them in this time of needs. Its bad to be let go around the holidays or any other time.
haha

Fitchburg, MA

#13 Nov 2, 2010
leominster resident

Montgomery, AL

#14 Nov 2, 2010
They laid off 48 so far.....and my dad was one of them.......BS
ML
Simon Says

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Nov 2, 2010
Area Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you!!! The article I read said nothing about job loss! I hate negative people!
Your ignorance has been proven!
Voter

Bedford, MA

#16 Nov 2, 2010
We should expect to see a follow up article by Marisa Donelan, shouldn't we? And if you read the company official's words carefully he said "staffing levels will not be affected by the acquisition". That statement could be fundamentally true. But he could be and is probably referring to staffing levels of all of the BWAY family of companies and not speaking specifically about Plastican in Leominster. He was probably being evasive in his response and the reporter did a poor job of getting clarification on the purpose and meaning of the words he chose.

I would also expect a response from Mayor Mazzarella as it appears he misunderstood the goodness which this acquisition brought to Leominster. I'll hold my breath.
leominster resident

Montgomery, AL

#17 Nov 3, 2010
Update.....the total of laid off employees has climbed to 68.....keep in mind they had 200 before layoffs....what a bunch of liars

ML
Hard dude

Fitchburg, MA

#18 Nov 4, 2010
leominster resident wrote:
Update.....the total of laid off employees has climbed to 68.....keep in mind they had 200 before layoffs....what a bunch of liars
ML
This is shameful. I'd like to see an updated article on this. Come on S&E, where's the follow up?
truthcursed

Leominster, MA

#19 Nov 16, 2010
as a recently ex-employee of "fascistcan", I admit to also falsely believing, at first, that jobs were secure. Unfortunetly, anyone who has been part of a corporate buy-out,(especially now-a-days), should have seen this coming. Companies are down-sizing, forcing those poor unfortunates who have,"luckily", kept their jobs to work even harder to make up for the lack of man power. corporations lie and have the inhuman ability to feel neither compassion nor regret for the american people that they are screwing. Wake up folks, this is the wave of our sad near future. look at all of us now who have to suck on the government tit while our economy flies out our windows and into the pockets of our "betters" . Sheep led to our slow, inevitable slaughter. Cheers!
Me and Bobby McGee

Boston, MA

#20 Nov 16, 2010
My guess is all these jobs get cut or outsourced in 2 to 3 years. It will be done slowly but it will happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tuesday Morning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sal Mena Jr. may plead guilty (Feb '09) Dec '13 Corrupt Judge 8
Panic, tears on 911 tape in wounded man's last ... (Feb '08) Nov '13 Russell Dow Sister 26
Hershey to close main plant (Jun '10) Jun '13 What Up wit dat 67
Welcome Chad Evans to WLFI (Aug '10) Apr '13 Herman 5
Former employee sues Daystar over affair (Dec '10) Sep '12 buck 2
Tuesday Morning ex-CEO says fired after breast ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 cris in oregon 1
Police Investigating Early Tuesday Morning Fata... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Sara Bella 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Tuesday Morning People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••