Hershey to close main plant

Full story: Lebanon Daily News

Starting in about a year and a half, the recording used on the tourist tram that glides past the Hershey factory on East Chocolate Avenue will need to be changed.
Comments
1 - 20 of 67 Comments Last updated Jun 18, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Morbius

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 1, 2010
 
Sad, but in order to compete, I guess Hershey has to modify its business plan.

Unfortunately, past union leadership never set the stage for company/union efforts to preserve jobs in Hershey.
Surprised not

Myerstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Anyone familiar with the Hershey Union and it's antics over the years seen this coming. This union like many others (especially the Gov. unions are belligerent, lazy and at best socialist thinkers.
I have one thing to say. The next time you you decide to make an ass out of yourself, call management stupid, demand their firing, damage private property, spike the candy with foreign objects or simply fall asleep on the job, remember who makes out your paycheck.
This announcement does not surprise anyone that followed the this union and it's members.
Sad for Hershey but, better for the company and hopefully the community. Maybe we can all just work for a living instead of demanding a living.
catpaw

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Surprised not wrote:
Anyone familiar with the Hershey Union and it's antics over the years seen this coming. This union like many others (especially the Gov. unions are belligerent, lazy and at best socialist thinkers.
I have one thing to say. The next time you you decide to make an ass out of yourself, call management stupid, demand their firing, damage private property, spike the candy with foreign objects or simply fall asleep on the job, remember who makes out your paycheck.
This announcement does not surprise anyone that followed the this union and it's members.
Sad for Hershey but, better for the company and hopefully the community. Maybe we can all just work for a living instead of demanding a living.
Congratulations! This is probably among the top 10 of the most ignorant posts on this board. Hershey's decision has very little, if anything, to do with it's labor union. It is districtly a money oriented decision. Labor is cheaper in Mexico and China.
elco mom

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

What would Milton S. think of Hershey's antics? This is not what he envisioned at all. It's all about the almighty dollar.
jbird

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

this will some how end up bushs fault. the union got greedy...thats what happened!!!
Coach Jerry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

catpaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations! This is probably among the top 10 of the most ignorant posts on this board. Hershey's decision has very little, if anything, to do with it's labor union. It is districtly a money oriented decision. Labor is cheaper in Mexico and China.
At one time American workers were far more productive than workers elsewhere in the world. As a result American companies were able to pay higher wages and still be competitive. Unions have destroyed that productivity edge with their ridiculous bargaining tactics so American companies are no longer able to afford the high wages and are forced to look to the Third World for cheap labor. Leftists should be thrilled. Your ideology has managed to destroy the greatest manufacturing nation in the history of the world and send cheap labor to our "oppressed" Third World brothers. Workers of the world unite. Yeah!
Jack

Hummelstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 2, 2010
 
Coach Jerry wrote:
<quoted text>
At one time American workers were far more productive than workers elsewhere in the world. As a result American companies were able to pay higher wages and still be competitive. Unions have destroyed that productivity edge with their ridiculous bargaining tactics so American companies are no longer able to afford the high wages and are forced to look to the Third World for cheap labor. Leftists should be thrilled. Your ideology has managed to destroy the greatest manufacturing nation in the history of the world and send cheap labor to our "oppressed" Third World brothers. Workers of the world unite. Yeah!
You are an idiot. Put this into the Google "american worker productivity", and see that your assumption is false; America worker productivity has increased but wages haven't. The free market laissez-faire policies championed by the corporate globalist (on both the left and right) have allowed big business to outsource their labor to countries that pay slave wages and then Reaganites keep import tarrifs low or nonexistant so that the US can't compete with it. But the profits are good for those multinational corporations and that's good for people like you who sit at home by the pool all day and wait for your dividend checks.
Phineas

Upper Darby, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

catpaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations! This is probably among the top 10 of the most ignorant posts on this board. Hershey's decision has very little, if anything, to do with it's labor union. It is districtly a money oriented decision. Labor is cheaper in Mexico and China.
I'd have to disagree with you. I believe this person has a point in what he says. I know quite a few people that work at Hershey and all they want is more more more!! They make very good money for the work that they do, and they have excellent benefits and so on. Another person made the comment that America use to have far more productive workers and companies would pay them for their hard work. Now people think it is owed to them no matter what type of work they do. Not just with Hershey but any type of business/workplace all you hear is people complaining about how much this person makes and how much that person makes. Maybe that person deserves to make more money because they have a better work ethic, higher education, or maybe it's corrupt and because they are friends with someone. If it's the last one then their is nothing you will do about it so find a new job and strive to EARN what you feel you should EARN. I wonder if Hershey would have asked the employees to take a $2 per hour pay cut and they would keep the plant open, if the employees would have accepted. Businesses rarely look at wage reduction as a means of staying alive, because employee moral goes down. People expect to get that paycheck and not have it change for the worse. However, I think it's a lot better to lose $80 per week then to lose ALL OF YOUR PAYCHECK! What ever happened to the you help me I'll help you ideals of the world, rather than the, I'll just help myslef. Just my opinion. Had the company cut the wages of every employee at the facility they would save $84,160 per week which is $4,376,320 per year.

On another note:

What is the business model that says you profit from building brand new and moving to a different location? I know that 19 East is very outdated, and that is due to poor management. They have not upgraded for many years.
Vigilante

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Well here ya go...more of these young 'KNOW-IT-ALL" college graduates thinking they will make a difference...mark my words...watch what happens to the hershey company!!!!!!!!
Complacency

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

"I don't anticipate keeping our jobs," she said. "You get a job at Hershey, and you think you're safe.... People are upset."

That's the Problem. Americans take everything for granted, and that they deserve it. I say Don't move them to Hershey West...Send them to Mexico. These Pepole will make more on unemployment than I make with a Masters Degrees. Bunch of uneducated fat cats making 50K plus a year, now get off your rump and go get a real job.
OMG

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

elco mom wrote:
What would Milton S. think of Hershey's antics? This is not what he envisioned at all. It's all about the almighty dollar.
Why Was Hershey in the business not to make a profit? Do you think he pulled the money for all of the charitable work out of thin air? Times change companies change or they don't and die. Most i=unions are socialist and want to get paid just because they have been there not because of productivity, these are the same people that say socialized health care is evil. If you don't like they way the company you work for treats you or pays you feel free to find another job.
Palmyra Joe

King George, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Hershey is not a big government jobs program, it is a money making business. Who cares what Milton Hershey would have thought, he has been dead for 65 years.
thomas paine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 2, 2010
 
Palmyra Joe wrote:
Hershey is not a big government jobs program, it is a money making business. Who cares what Milton Hershey would have thought, he has been dead for 65 years.
Yea, who cares what Milton Hershey would have thought. He writes on page 4 of his will that the homes were for WHITE MALE ORPHANS I guess we see that didn't last either.
former lebanonite

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 2, 2010
 
NOTHING is cut in stone!Hershey went to Mexico didn't they?
trust me i know

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

If you think Corporations such as Hershey is all about the employees, you are in for a rude awakening. 10- 12 years ago it was very employee minded, nowadays it's all about the corporation
Unions

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 2, 2010
 
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
Why Was Hershey in the business not to make a profit? Do you think he pulled the money for all of the charitable work out of thin air? Times change companies change or they don't and die. Most i=unions are socialist and want to get paid just because they have been there not because of productivity, these are the same people that say socialized health care is evil. If you don't like they way the company you work for treats you or pays you feel free to find another job.
True unions can be a good thing, but for the most part they just keep deadbeats in a job some other hard working american could be doing. I know I was in a union that I know that was the way. I also was on the other side of the fence and saw the results on productivity.
Funky Tut

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Profit over people.

It's the American way!

Time to cut down the 'Cocoa' bushes and plant ones that read 'Profit' since that is what Hershey is really all about.

And perhaps they'll make sure that instead of the smell of chocolate greeting you as you come into town, it will be the smell of crisp, new money.
galvodog6

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Coach Jerry wrote:
<quoted text>
At one time American workers were far more productive than workers elsewhere in the world. As a result American companies were able to pay higher wages and still be competitive. Unions have destroyed that productivity edge with their ridiculous bargaining tactics so American companies are no longer able to afford the high wages and are forced to look to the Third World for cheap labor. Leftists should be thrilled. Your ideology has managed to destroy the greatest manufacturing nation in the history of the world and send cheap labor to our "oppressed" Third World brothers. Workers of the world unite. Yeah!
really inaacurate... i actually pay more for services that are NON UNION in PA..it been cheaper for me to hire union workers from NYC, put them up in hotels in PA than it is to hire non union workers in PA to do a job for me... the last non union workers i hired had to be recalled every 3 months to fix what they couldnt do right the first time
galvodog6

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Complacency wrote:
"I don't anticipate keeping our jobs," she said. "You get a job at Hershey, and you think you're safe.... People are upset."
That's the Problem. Americans take everything for granted, and that they deserve it. I say Don't move them to Hershey West...Send them to Mexico. These Pepole will make more on unemployment than I make with a Masters Degrees. Bunch of uneducated fat cats making 50K plus a year, now get off your rump and go get a real job.
and your point is? where does it say that being college educated will even get you a job, let alone more money? i have 2 masters, 2 doctorates, yet i can earn more money driving a taxi, waiting tables, or bartending,...an those degrees have no connection to my job
galvodog6

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 2, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Morbius wrote:
Sad, but in order to compete, I guess Hershey has to modify its business plan.
Unfortunately, past union leadership never set the stage for company/union efforts to preserve jobs in Hershey.
Compete? with whom? fire just one top manager, and u can save hundreds of jobs.. what does a top manager actually do? destroy a company and get paid millions to do it? a top manager isnt usually hired from the bottom ranks so they have no clue what the company is about...and on top of that, we are talking about pennsylvania managers so they dont need more than a first grade education

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tuesday Morning Discussions

Search the Tuesday Morning Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Sal Mena Jr. may plead guilty (Feb '09) Dec '13 Corrupt Judge 8
Panic, tears on 911 tape in wounded man's last ... (Feb '08) Nov '13 Russell Dow Sister 26
Welcome Chad Evans to WLFI (Aug '10) Apr '13 Herman 5
Former employee sues Daystar over affair (Dec '10) Sep '12 buck 2
Tuesday Morning ex-CEO says fired after breast ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 cris in oregon 1
Police Investigating Early Tuesday Morning Fata... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Sara Bella 1
Sunset land article brings response (Aug '08) Feb '12 Buster - native El Pasoan 3
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••