Sunset land article brings response

Full story: El Paso Times
I have known Mr. Jack Giacalone, owner of Sunset Ranches, for many years and would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to make a few comments in hopes of bringing a more balanced point of view to your Tuesday ... Full Story
Scott

United States

#1 Aug 17, 2008
In response to Mr. Caffey:

"Nearly two-thirds of Sunset Ranch customers default on their payments" -- Ms. Grissom, are you privy to the financial records of Sunset Ranches and know this to be the authentic truth?"

The repossession of land in the State of Texas is a matter of open public record. Ms. Grissom need not be privy to anything of the such to know how many of these land owners have been repoed.

Mr. Caffey, you commit a fallacy of logic here and are merely muddying the waters. If you have facts the refute, produce them. Otherwise, you are merely a knave using a "begging the question" retort.

"There are falling down animal pens, jars of pickles and junk all over some of the lots" -- Ms. Grissom, are you aware the exact same charge could be made for countless lots in certain neighborhoods within the city limits of Houston or Dallas?

Really Mr. Caffey? Name one. Where specifically can I find these depraved lots in Dallas and Houston?

Further, suppose we stipulate that this wild and ambiguous assertion is true. So what? What does this have to do with the facts at hand?

"Broadening the scope" is not a refutation tactic sir.
And the plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."

I could go on, but there is really no point.
Mr. Caffey, in the future please from wasting the limited editorial space with your unreasoned twaddle.
Steve EL Paso -Rockport

Ault, CO

#2 Aug 18, 2008
Is this writer serious or more likely does he have an interest in this scam?

He is correct we don't know what the American Dream is for everyone. Some seem to like living in prison, so perhaps there are people who would like to live where even snakes hide during the day.

One of the trademarks of these scammers is that when they advertise on ebay they often say in the small print that you are bidding on the down payment only. In other words if you think you are getting an acre for $5 ( its probably worth about $15) what you really have is low down and you will pay interest at a high rate and your total price will be ridiculous.

On the other hand there are suckers born every day and Sunset is just helping them lose their money.

I like the part of the letter alluding that if it weren't for people buying land on speculation we would still be the original 13 colonies. Listen if all the rest of the land in the US was that barren, and ugly, we still would be the 13 colonies. Of course the guy defending the scammers, includes the cornfields of Iowa and the midwest, as well as the agricultural valley of California and the citrus groves of Florida and South Texas in the same category as the garbage his pal sells.

By the way - where does the author live? Maybe he's backed his words by action and actually lives in the desert. After all its cheap he could have 100 acres for what many pay for a single lot. On the other hand if he did live there, how would he have been able to write to the paper? The Overland Express doesn't ride by there anymore
Buster - native El Pasoan

Fort Worth, TX

#3 Feb 21, 2012
As horribly dull and brown as El Paso may be, people don't normally lose thier affection for thier hometown.

After moving away and living in DFW for fifteen years, What's with that voice the cartoon cowgirl on Sunset's site uses? Also, the former New Englander answering the phone at Sunset Ranches was very pushy and actually expected me to put money down on 60 acres sight unseen. Who buys land without looking at it? So far, I have to admit, this whole experience gives me pause.

Also, some commentors on this thread bash those that have reservations about buying from Sunset Ranches with personal insults. is this really necessary? As a third party researching and reading these comments, the bashers are simply driving people away. Wouldn't you want to HELP this company by bringing them MORE business? What's with all of the mean spiritedness?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tuesday Morning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sal Mena Jr. may plead guilty (Feb '09) Dec '13 Corrupt Judge 8
Panic, tears on 911 tape in wounded man's last ... (Feb '08) Nov '13 Russell Dow Sister 26
Hershey to close main plant (Jun '10) Jun '13 What Up wit dat 67
Welcome Chad Evans to WLFI (Aug '10) Apr '13 Herman 5
Former employee sues Daystar over affair (Dec '10) Sep '12 buck 2
Tuesday Morning ex-CEO says fired after breast ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 cris in oregon 1
Police Investigating Early Tuesday Morning Fata... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Sara Bella 1
More from around the web