Gay councilman's plea to bullied teens goes viral

There are 8 comments on the Oct 15, 2010, Boston.com story titled Gay councilman's plea to bullied teens goes viral. In it, Boston.com reports that:

A city councilman in Fort Worth, Texas, has rocketed into cyberspace prominence in a video pleading with gay teens not to commit suicide and tearfully recounting his own ordeals as a bullied schoolboy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Boston.com.

Curteese

Cathedral City, CA

#1 Oct 15, 2010
I haven't been this moved in years. I found myself getting weepy as he spoke.
How can I say anything to improve on his eloquence? Incredible.
To the ones who come on here and criticize him, or make fun of him, and I know you will, or type out some filth, tell us, what have YOU done to help society?
What have you done to help your fellow human beings? Tell us and I will apologize right here to you for any thing I have said before and never say anything but praise to you again. Just tell us one thing you have done for others. One.

“The Buybull is innerrrent.”

Since: Jun 08

Walnutport, PA

#2 Oct 15, 2010
This whole area is tricky: All the attention - pro gay or not - can inadvertently reinforce the idea suicide is an effective way to cry for help.

Schools which have suicides often anger parents and other students by not memorializing the students who killed themselves, for whatever reason the suicides occrured.

The military likewise sets boundaries regarding burial sites for active duty armed forces' members who kill themselves.

Since: Dec 08

United States

#3 Oct 15, 2010
Some of the video made the national news tonight.

Brave guy.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Oct 15, 2010
Good points
Texana

Arlington, TX

#6 Oct 15, 2010
I am so proud of Joel and his partner J.D. Although Joel is gaining attention for this particular moment, in fact both of these men have spent years fighting effectively for the GLBTQ community. They are true heroes and I am humbled to have known and worked with them.

“the baby who would be king!!!!”

Since: Jan 07

fort worth

#7 Oct 19, 2010
we are proud of our own and their service to our community !

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#8 Oct 19, 2010
His overall record seems very worthy.
Wesley Shaw

Dallas, TX

#9 Oct 20, 2010
It's great to be gay

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tuesday Morning Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lancaster toddler drowns in backyard pool (Mar '08) Apr 15 Adjex 4
News Sal Mena Jr. may plead guilty (Feb '09) Dec '13 Corrupt Judge 8
News Panic, tears on 911 tape in wounded man's last ... (Feb '08) Nov '13 Russell Dow Sister 26
News Hershey to close main plant (Jun '10) Jun '13 What Up wit dat 67
News Welcome Chad Evans to WLFI (Aug '10) Apr '13 Herman 5
News Former employee sues Daystar over affair (Dec '10) Sep '12 buck 2
News Tuesday Morning ex-CEO says fired after breast ... (Aug '12) Aug '12 cris in oregon 1
More from around the web