Food Lion to reintroduce Holly Farms chicken brand

Oct 9, 2009 Full story: Poultry Times 31

WILKESBORO and SALISBURY, N.C., -- After being absent from retail grocery stores in the southeast for more than 10 years, one of the most well-respected national brands of fresh chicken is making a comeback.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
M Booth Bedford VA

United States

#1 Oct 28, 2009
I had the unfortunate experience to purchase a "Holly Farms" all natural whole chicken for a "BARGIN" price of $0.79/lb at our local Food Lion. While I don't fault the store for selling the product, the producer and or manufacturer responsible for growing, cleaning and packaging the products consumers purchase with their hard earned money need to be more diligent in their observation of the quality of the meats they distribute. When I opened the package to prepare the chicken, there was a "large" brown, circular, elevate lesion located underneath the left wing which wasn't visible prior to removing the chicken from the package. I seriously doubt, however that it could possibly have gone unnoticed by the person or persons responsible for the cleaning and packaging of the chicken. I took a picture of the offensive lesion and it's packaging and then promplty threw it in the trash! If "THAT" is the "QUALITY" of "HOLLY FARMS", you can BET, I will not be subjecting myself and my family to it any more!
lisa

Floyd, VA

#2 Jan 10, 2010
Never heard of holly farms chicken before, but it said on the package all natural so I was hoping for a nice chicken.
After opening the plastic a strong odor of bleach was in the chicken and could not even be removed by soaking the chicken in water (cold nor warm water).
I had to throw the chicken out.
Hope I will get my money back.
I will not buy a holly farm chicken again.
Jared

Charlotte, NC

#3 Jan 13, 2010
Most of it is washed in Clorox and marinated in Windex.
employee

Tazewell, VA

#4 Jan 18, 2010
hey guy s i am an employee of foodion just wondering what you all though of rick ancntti or how ever his name is. because he just made it to where we get a lot less benifits from foodlion but it was all to make us work harder and better so instead of giving anything for hard work he just takes.
Ralph Ketner

Indian Trail, NC

#5 Jan 18, 2010
employee wrote:
hey guy s i am an employee of foodion just wondering what you all though of rick ancntti or how ever his name is. because he just made it to where we get a lot less benifits from foodlion but it was all to make us work harder and better so instead of giving anything for hard work he just takes.
Food Lion is not good to their employees like Publix and Harris Teeter. Those are the two best East Coast Grocers to work for. Food Lion pays much less and provides little in benefits. That's why they are able to saturate areas with low overhead, low volume stores.
employee

Tazewell, VA

#6 Jan 18, 2010
yea i dont have eithier of those around me i hate working for foodlion.

“Cynical Scumbag”

Since: Jan 10

Lima Peru

#7 Feb 6, 2010
employee wrote:
Depends on what you do for them. I have been with them 11yrs. and they are the best company I have ever driven for.
Holly Farms chicken

Abingdon, MD

#8 Jul 21, 2010
Jared wrote:
Most of it is washed in Clorox and marinated in Windex.
Hello~
May I ask you where you got this information. Do you have written proof of it and/or have you been to one of the plants? Thank you. Feel free to email me at catnanny71@comcast.net with the answer. Thanks again
Kimberly

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#10 Jul 25, 2010
I loves CHICKEN!!!!!!

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#11 Jul 25, 2010
But I WON'TS eat tyson-day stinks!
CouponQueen

Johnson City, TN

#13 Feb 6, 2011
Holly Farms Chicken is from TYSON. They abuse their chickens, make them live in boxes with NO WINDOWS and they never see the light of day. Check out the documentary FOOD INC if you want to see how bad Tyson is. I refuse to buy ANYTHING but organic chicken from EarthFare now. Tyson is the nastiest company I've ever seen.

Since: Oct 10

Bristol, NH

#14 Feb 27, 2011
Coupon Queen , you are correct. Tyson is the worst company as far as a food producer goes> They don't care about anything and so much of the chicken is bad before it even leaves the plant ..Talk about an unsanitary place !!!!!!
Worthy

United States

#15 Jun 8, 2011
Yes holly farms is not good chicken!!! I spent 30 min plucking feathers off of my chickens! Then on my chicken thighs there was brown stuff and feathers when I open the package up. Yuck, never again will I buy that product!!!!
JANET STROUP

Wake Forest, NC

#16 Jul 1, 2011
THIS IS THE SECOND TIME I HAVE WRITTEN TO HOLLY FARMS ABOUT THEIR CHICKEN. I HAVE BEEN DISSATISFIED WITH THEIR CHICKEN THIGHS FOR SOME TIME NOW AND WAS NOT GOING TO BUY ANYMORE OF THEIR BRAND, BUT I WAS IN FOOD LION AND IN A HURRY SO I FOOLISHLY BOUGHT A FAMILY PACK. WHAT A DISSAPPOINTMENT, YOU CAN TELL THESE ARE OLD CHICKENS, THICK AND YELLOW SKIN AND BIG EXTRA HUNKS OF SKIN AND FAT HANGING ON EACH PIECE. THIS IS DEFINATELY THE LAST TIME I WILL BUY ANYTHING LABELED HOLLY FARMS. I CUT OFF THE LARGE EXTRA HUNKS OF SKIN AND FAT AND PUT THEM IN MY FREEZER AND WILL GIVE THEM TO THE MEAT DEPARTMENT AT FOOD LION SO THEY CAN SHOW THE SALES PEOPLE FROM HOLLY FARMS AN EXAMPLE OF THE VERY POOR QUALITY THEY ARE SUPPLYING TO THEIR STORE.
cammiefox

Louisburg, NC

#17 Aug 16, 2011
I bought Holly Farms all natural whole chicken and really paid for a bunch of chicken necks. There were seven in the cavity. How much did I pay for BONE instead of CHICKEN. Very bad practice.
Chicken Master

Maidens, VA

#18 Sep 1, 2011
Ok. Because you live in the great state of Virginia as I do I will let you in on a seceret. No one toached the bird before it got into the package. Suggestion to P1 put vision systems into the plant for quality inspection.
M Booth Bedford VA wrote:
I had the unfortunate experience to purchase a "Holly Farms" all natural whole chicken for a "BARGIN" price of $0.79/lb at our local Food Lion. While I don't fault the store for selling the product, the producer and or manufacturer responsible for growing, cleaning and packaging the products consumers purchase with their hard earned money need to be more diligent in their observation of the quality of the meats they distribute. When I opened the package to prepare the chicken, there was a "large" brown, circular, elevate lesion located underneath the left wing which wasn't visible prior to removing the chicken from the package. I seriously doubt, however that it could possibly have gone unnoticed by the person or persons responsible for the cleaning and packaging of the chicken. I took a picture of the offensive lesion and it's packaging and then promplty threw it in the trash! If "THAT" is the "QUALITY" of "HOLLY FARMS", you can BET, I will not be subjecting myself and my family to it any more!
Bearwitz

Hampton, VA

#19 Oct 19, 2011
I just opened a Holly farms chicken to prepare it for my family's meal, or should I say I opened a can of worms! Being farm raised myself, if I had taken that chicken to my mothers kitchen after cleaning and plucking it I'd have been beaten within an inch of my life!! How can a processor be so careless and so thoughtless about the product they put out to the consuming public? It will be the last Holly farms product to enter my home, no mater the price, and if Tyson is associated with Holly farms, neither will theirs.
Helenvanlith Pittsboro nc

Angier, NC

#20 Jan 24, 2012
Please stop injecting "Natural" or any other kind of broth into my Meat. I avoid injected meat, but this package had a food Lion sticker on the 12% injected info. Holly Farms--- Just give me the chicken, with no alterations.
lucy

Waxhaw, NC

#21 Jan 26, 2012
Bearwitz wrote:
I just opened a Holly farms chicken to prepare it for my family's meal, or should I say I opened a can of worms! Being farm raised myself, if I had taken that chicken to my mothers kitchen after cleaning and plucking it I'd have been beaten within an inch of my life!! How can a processor be so careless and so thoughtless about the product they put out to the consuming public? It will be the last Holly farms product to enter my home, no mater the price, and if Tyson is associated with Holly farms, neither will theirs.
listen up people!!! i worked in a tyson plant 30 years, i can assure you the company is all about getting those birds to market {quantity not quality}. their employes work wery hard with little respect from the top. any job you are expected to give your best effort but it is hard when you get treated poorly. also your inspectors {usda} try but Washington makes the rules for them and most of the biggies there don't even know what a bird looks like.
veedubbub

Mooresville, NC

#22 Mar 15, 2012
JANET STROUP wrote:
THIS IS THE SECOND TIME I HAVE WRITTEN TO HOLLY FARMS ABOUT THEIR CHICKEN. I HAVE BEEN DISSATISFIED WITH THEIR CHICKEN THIGHS FOR SOME TIME NOW AND WAS NOT GOING TO BUY ANYMORE OF THEIR BRAND, BUT I WAS IN FOOD LION AND IN A HURRY SO I FOOLISHLY BOUGHT A FAMILY PACK. WHAT A DISSAPPOINTMENT, YOU CAN TELL THESE ARE OLD CHICKENS, THICK AND YELLOW SKIN AND BIG EXTRA HUNKS OF SKIN AND FAT HANGING ON EACH PIECE. THIS IS DEFINATELY THE LAST TIME I WILL BUY ANYTHING LABELED HOLLY FARMS. I CUT OFF THE LARGE EXTRA HUNKS OF SKIN AND FAT AND PUT THEM IN MY FREEZER AND WILL GIVE THEM TO THE MEAT DEPARTMENT AT FOOD LION SO THEY CAN SHOW THE SALES PEOPLE FROM HOLLY FARMS AN EXAMPLE OF THE VERY POOR QUALITY THEY ARE SUPPLYING TO THEIR STORE.
I'm a market manager for Food Lion in Mooresville, NC..in fact..it's Kathy Burn's (president) home store..All commercials are filmed in my store..many vp's shop in my store as well..I have tried numerous times to reach Tyson regarding the careless packaging of their product..I have to scrub my chicken section 3 times a week due to poor packaging and leaks! I see a quality control rep from Perdue once a month! Never met anyone from Tyson with 8 years in the business!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tyson Foods Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marshall Islands immigrants in Springdale, Arka... (Feb '08) Dec 14 Lutokiong26 57
Tyson to add work to Buffalo from Okla. (Apr '09) Jul '14 Former Tyson Empl... 5
Tyson's Email Response (Jun '14) Jun '14 jdrockefeller 1
Tyson Adds 165 Jobs in Wilkes Co. (Oct '10) May '14 dare resist 5
Beware of marriage to a foreigner (Jan '08) May '14 concerned 40
In A Small Missouri Town, Immigrants Turn To Sc... (Dec '13) Jan '14 hitler was right 3
Tyson Foods Charged With Civil Rights Violation (Jan '14) Jan '14 Sheet Whole 1
More from around the web