When a disease is donated -- Health, ...

When a disease is donated -- Health, Virginia, Illinois Institu...

There are 2 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 26, 2008, titled When a disease is donated -- Health, Virginia, Illinois Institu.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Dr. Jennifer Schneider pleaded to be allowed to contact the families whose children were conceived through her daughter's donated eggs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

JMO

Chicago, IL

#1 Mar 28, 2008
curious...
JMO

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 28, 2008
The US should follow the lead of Iceland and establish a national DNA database.

The information in the database would be available, blind, to researchers, and the individual.

As more information becomes available regarding genetic defects and their appearance in the DNA string, that information would be linked to all records in the database to which it applies, without need for anyone to know any names. The individuals can do what they want with the information (or the parents or guardians).

So, if a new genetic disorder is discovered that affects a certain portion of DNA, a message could be placed in that person's DNA folder 'inbox' along with links or messages or other places to look for additional information about it.

Personally, reading this story. I think the mother of a dead daughter just wants to find her grandchildren. Detecting Colon Cancer is a noble goal, but that's sort of what regular medical checkups are for. Plus, there's no certainty that her daughter's colon cancer proclivity was actually passed on. So why disrupt all these children's lives for a maybe? If there is a genetic link, tell everyone about it, everyone with the relevant DNA that is. You don't need to involve some strange lady no one's met before.

How is this not small-scale eugenics? You know, the goal of Hitler and the concentration camps? Why is there any testing or screening at all? I understand these screenings include information regarding height and athletic skills. How is this different from selecting for an Aryan race?

Why do they want to warn the children born from the donated eggs?

Apparently, there's nothing they can do about it except wait for the cancer to strike? I mean, if there was some way to stop the cancer, wouldn't they have stopped it in their own daughter? They must have known about the cancer because it had to have come from one of them (the parents of the girl who donated the eggs). They knew about the cancer risk and still couldn't save their own daughter, so why torture other people?

For that matter, why wasn't the cancer risk noted in the donor's application?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Technology Solutions Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Microfiber fabric makes its own electricity? (May '08) May '08 sqrlking 1
News Firm lures engineers (May '08) May '08 Hear this 2
News New Pittsfield tech firm lures engineers (May '08) May '08 BAE Employee in NH 6
News 5 new Chicago magnet schools would emphasize te... (Apr '08) May '08 daved 5
News Census Returns to Paper Count -- Population, Fl... (Apr '08) Apr '08 American Chick 2
News 'Earth Hour' gives a chance to take stand again... (Mar '08) Apr '08 tree huggers unite 27
News City readies for lights out -- Public Officials... (Mar '08) Mar '08 Darkwater 125
More from around the web