5 new Chicago magnet schools would emphasize technology

Full story: Chicago Tribune
In an effort to better prepare pupils for a high-tech world, Chicago will open five new magnet elementary schools focused on technology this fall, Mayor Richard Daley announced Tuesday. Full Story
Jpetsch

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Apr 16, 2008
Sounds like another computer driven program that calls itself technology based learning. I see nothing about teaching technological literacy or anything about adopting ITEA Technology Literacy Standards for all Americans.

If it was really a program at five new schools teaching literacy rather than how to use and integrate computers, I imagine it would have been mentioned.

I'm still waiting for more announcements about school districts embracing technology as more than ability to use a computer and more as a program to prepare students to think and manipulate technology for the good of mankind.

Jobs of the future may use the computer, but they require people with ability to solve problems and have skills at manipultaing technology to improve life, the environment, industry, housing, food, etc.
Political Malaise

Whitewater, WI

#2 Apr 16, 2008
This is not an answer to the City's failing schools. Just close the schools, refund the tax revenues to taxpayers and let the market provide education. Privatize the state 'universities' while you're at it. The entire 'system' fails!
Laurie Huget Oak Park IL

Pleasanton, CA

#3 Apr 16, 2008
This is a very positive effort, long overdue. I hope that this plan sees implementation. Science and technology must be strengthened in the US and we must start with our children.
2100ScreamingFan s

Cary, IL

#4 Apr 16, 2008
I have criticized openly the Chicago Public Schools but in this case I applaud them for their efforts to improve. The CPS obviously have schools that are not working. Continuing the school as they are would lead to continued failure. I think the CPS is finally realizing that sometimes the best solution is just to start over. In this case, they are starting over and trying something bold. Will it work? I don't know. I do know that they have had success in new schools like Northside Prep and Payton. Maybe these new schools can only help.

Neil Hernandez
Publisher
www.2100ScreamingFans.com
daved

Lombard, IL

#5 May 5, 2008
thats really nuts mang

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Technology Solutions Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Microfiber fabric makes its own electricity? (May '08) May '08 sqrlking 1
Firm lures engineers (May '08) May '08 Hear this 2
New Pittsfield tech firm lures engineers (May '08) May '08 BAE Employee in NH 6
Census Returns to Paper Count -- Population, Fl... (Apr '08) Apr '08 American Chick 2
'Earth Hour' gives a chance to take stand again... (Mar '08) Apr '08 tree huggers unite 27
City readies for lights out -- Public Officials... (Mar '08) Mar '08 Darkwater 125
When a disease is donated -- Diseases, Virginia... (Mar '08) Mar '08 nova0311 25
More from around the web