State hires hydro dam appraisers

State hires hydro dam appraisers

There are 9 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Jan 24, 2010, titled State hires hydro dam appraisers. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

The state has chosen the reappraisal firm that will update the values of the dams and hydroelectric stations on the Connecticut and Deerfield rivers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

What-Me-Worry

Arlington, VT

#1 Jan 25, 2010
Aren't these the dams that Vermont could have owned for something like $500,000 a few years back? They would have provided more than enough power to replace the hazardously leaky VY plant.

If I'm not mistaken it was Gov. Douglas who put the squash to this deal with the help of our own utilities. Back then I think they referred to this action as their energy policy, which revolved around saying no to these dams, no to wind, no to efficiency so that the only choice left was to say yes to VY. That does not quite meet the definition of a policy, but it was good enough for Douglas.
New Clear Waste

Brattleboro, VT

#2 Jan 25, 2010
What-Me-Worry wrote:
Aren't these the dams that Vermont could have owned for something like $500,000 a few years back? They would have provided more than enough power to replace the hazardously leaky VY plant.
If I'm not mistaken it was Gov. Douglas who put the squash to this deal with the help of our own utilities. Back then I think they referred to this action as their energy policy, which revolved around saying no to these dams, no to wind, no to efficiency so that the only choice left was to say yes to VY. That does not quite meet the definition of a policy, but it was good enough for Douglas.
You have nailed it precisely. And now that the legislature wants to protect Vermonters from spreading radioactive groundwater and faulty equipment at VY, the good governor wants to take the decision out of the hands of the people's representatives and give it exclusively to industry-dominated "regulatory" authorities.
Trace

Peterborough, NH

#3 Jan 25, 2010
What-Me-Worry wrote:
You should have gotten your facts right prior to posting! April 6th 2009 Rockingham proposed to purchase the dam in Bellows Falls for $72 million dollars. That dam produces 49 mgw. VY has a capacity factor of 92.5 and produces 600 mgw. So it could take up to 13 hydro dams the size of the one in BF to replace the mgw and that is if they achieve the capacity factor.
Trace

Peterborough, NH

#4 Jan 25, 2010
New Clear Waste wrote:
<quoted text>
You have nailed it precisely. And now that the legislature wants to protect Vermonters from spreading radioactive groundwater and faulty equipment at VY, the good governor wants to take the decision out of the hands of the people's representatives and give it exclusively to industry-dominated "regulatory" authorities.
WSESU is the only school in the region that has not cancelled or delayed school opening today. I have not heard any tale of parents removing their kids from Vermon elementary school since the news of the trace amounts of tritium story broke. You are irrational and silly.
New Clear Waste

Brattleboro, VT

#5 Jan 25, 2010
Trace wrote:
<quoted text>WSESU is the only school in the region that has not cancelled or delayed school opening today. I have not heard any tale of parents removing their kids from Vermon elementary school since the news of the trace amounts of tritium story broke. You are irrational and silly.
Vernon Elementary School wisely does not use the groundwater for drinking. They use bottled water.

Obviously they know something about it. You are irrational and silly, afraid for your job. You should relax, you will be needed for years after 2012 for the decom.
Trace

Peterborough, NH

#6 Jan 25, 2010
Interesting fact; The Hoover dam has 17 generators and produces 4 billion Kilowatts of electricity a year. Of course environmentally speaking, the Colorado River is in crises....

1 megawatt = 1000 kilowatts.
New Clear Waste

Brattleboro, VT

#7 Jan 25, 2010
Trace wrote:
<quoted text>You should have gotten your facts right prior to posting! April 6th 2009 Rockingham proposed to purchase the dam in Bellows Falls for $72 million dollars. That dam produces 49 mgw. VY has a capacity factor of 92.5 and produces 600 mgw. So it could take up to 13 hydro dams the size of the one in BF to replace the mgw and that is if they achieve the capacity factor.
Using your math, replacing VY's capacity with medium-scale hydro generation would cost $936 million. But VY costs that much just to decommission. Add in construction, waste disposal, legal, security, and other costs of VY, plus all the money they spend buying influence in Montpelier and purchasing friends locally, and VY really turns out to be an expensive way to generate electricity and create jobs. Using your math.
Trace

Peterborough, NH

#9 Jan 25, 2010
New Clear Waste wrote:
<quoted text>
Vernon Elementary School wisely does not use the groundwater for drinking. They use bottled water.
Obviously they know something about it. You are irrational and silly, afraid for your job. You should relax, you will be needed for years after 2012 for the decom.
That is simply not true. Why don't you stop in this week and take a drink from their fountains. But please refrain from drinking from the toilets.
Trace

Peterborough, NH

#10 Jan 25, 2010
New Clear Waste wrote:
<quoted text>
Using your math, replacing VY's capacity with medium-scale hydro generation would cost $936 million. But VY costs that much just to decommission. Add in construction, waste disposal, legal, security, and other costs of VY, plus all the money they spend buying influence in Montpelier and purchasing friends locally, and VY really turns out to be an expensive way to generate electricity and create jobs. Using your math.
My math? I was quoting an offer on an already built dam, not a bid on constructing a new dam. The quote was a suggested offer by Rockingham. The Bellows Falls Dam and Canal were built between 1792-1802. I question if it would have been a wise investment by Rockingham and the state apparently agreed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

TransCanada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News TranCanada donates $200K to rink expansion project (Nov '12) Sat 210k-gallons-of-o... 12
News Statement on TransCanada Oil Spill on Keystone ... Nov 17 anonz 2
News TransCanada says 210,000 gallons of oil leaked ... Nov 17 anonz 3
News TransCanada's Keystone Pipeline Shut After 5,00... Nov 16 sure do tell eh 1
News TransCanada Keystone pipeline leaks 795,000 lit... Nov 16 sure do tell eh 1
News Power generating station beginning to take shape (Jan '08) Oct '17 same went on here 133
News Inside The Herald - If a community is only wort... (Jan '08) Oct '17 2 late eh 57
More from around the web