$60 Million Facility: Fast track to c...

$60 Million Facility: Fast track to court for drag strip?

There are 10 comments on the Charlotte.com story from Sep 27, 2007, titled $60 Million Facility: Fast track to court for drag strip?. In it, Charlotte.com reports that:

Lowe's Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith said Concord leaders have given him so little support, he'd like to redraw the city limits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charlotte.com.

Cabby neighbor

Charlotte, NC

#1 Sep 28, 2007
Has Bruton Smith had a lobotomy? He's nuts! I wonder what color the sky is in his world? It's amazing how some people just feel entitled to "bulldoze" their way through life - with complete disregard for the rules everyone else plays by.

Too bad ISC doesn't own that track. I'd rather drive to Darlington in May than support Bruton any longer.
mike

AOL

#2 Sep 29, 2007
Every track that bruton Smith ownes are first class facilities, Charlotte is the racing capitol
so lets see more racing, it will also bring new teams, new jobs and more money to the area businesses.
what joke

AOL

#3 Sep 29, 2007
if bruton smith wants it he will get it. cbarrus county is in his back pocket. i promise it will be built.
Jerry

Statesville, NC

#4 Sep 29, 2007
At last a chance for this area to have a first class NHRA track!! A dragstrip would bring more growth in the motorsports industry for all us fans. Bruton bought the bankrupt track (Lowes) in the early sixtys and made this area home to most NASCAR teams, and we have a lot to gain by this new track. He owns the land, has for years,it's his money so don't change the rules now. He could put up ball goals and sky boxes, have voters turn it down, build it anyway and have tax payers build it.
hell yeah

Gastonia, NC

#5 Sep 30, 2007
i support smith ALL THE WAY this will DEFINATELY solve our street racing problem. i used to go to the street races all the time and i have ALWAYS complained about no decent track in charlotte "the motorsports capital" and i have also wondered why they didnt just build a track right next to lowes in the first place! waty to go burton smith! CHEERS!
dont let those assbackwards concord officials stop you! people down here hate progress...
Let the Truth be Told

Concord, NC

#6 Oct 1, 2007
To Cabby Neighbor. Obviously you must have had a lobotomy! Bruton Smith has owned that land for years and it has been sanctioned for the purpose of racing. Now because the city has allowed developers to build homes in Bruton's back-yard he and all of the race fans are suppose to suffer. They are trying to take away his rights."Let's go racin'"
Brandon

United States

#7 Oct 2, 2007
This track would do so many good things. Unless of course the NIMBY's (Not in my back yard) scare the city out of it. Think of the extra jobs, extra cash, extra taxes. Don't be stupid Con-kerd! This has the potential to pretty much put a stop to street racing in Charlotte. AND, HIS property was already zoned for another track to begin with! They just changed the wording by adding "except a dragstrip." How backwards is that? Theres no way this will stand in court, and I'd be willing to bet that the city officials know that and that they only voted against it to gain public support. Concord will still get a spankin new NHRA facility and the city officials will still be able to tell the voters that they opposed it. F-ing politicians.
ZoooomZooom

Charlotte, NC

#8 Oct 2, 2007
I support Bruton and the drapstrip. That is something that this area has needed for some time. What the %$#@ are those neighbors thinking. The race track was there long before the houses. Deal with it or MOVE! I think the Concord city council is insane. We are loosing Phillip Morris, Hello! this is more economy for this area. Wise up!
Ace

Concord, NC

#9 Oct 2, 2007
I don't understand how someone could buy a house that close to a racing facility and then want to complain about noise or fumes. What makes more of both, 32 cars racing for 4 hours or 2 cars racing for 4 seconds? Just think about how many high school children will be coming home at night buy taking racing off the streets. Thank you Mr. Smith.
wake up

San Antonio, TX

#10 Nov 13, 2007
Ace wrote:
I don't understand how someone could buy a house that close to a racing facility and then want to complain about noise or fumes. What makes more of both, 32 cars racing for 4 hours or 2 cars racing for 4 seconds? Just think about how many high school children will be coming home at night buy taking racing off the streets. Thank you Mr. Smith.
Think of this, What if You were there first and Bruton got the city to condem your propertu and you get 10 cents on the dollar. How would you feel?
Yea Bruton is helping the economy. HIS!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Speedway Motorsports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SPEED Road Tour Casting Call 2009! (Oct '08) Oct '08 SpeedChannel 1
News Bruton Smith looking to build drag strip at Low... (Sep '07) Jan '08 James Klich 62
News Speedway submits first dragstrip plans (Jan '08) Jan '08 Tank Poore 1
News Speedway exec: 'We're not going to share our gas' (Nov '07) Nov '07 dadoldfart 2
News Longtime TMS board member loses post (Nov '07) Nov '07 wake up 2
News Track mogul Bruton Smith considers replacing Ch... (Nov '07) Nov '07 wake up 3
News Concord neighbors fighting proposed drag strip (Oct '07) Oct '07 Stephanie Downey 7
More from around the web