Toys R Us adds layaway for big-ticket...

Toys R Us adds layaway for big-ticket items

There are 12 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Oct 19, 2009, titled Toys R Us adds layaway for big-ticket items. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Toys R Us Inc. is introducing a layaway program for larger-ticket items such as bikes and cribs ahead of the holiday season, the company said today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#1 Oct 19, 2009
The article reads: "...retailers once again are turning to layaway to lure cash-strapped customers into making purchases."

How pathetic! These businesses are now using children and the holidays as their method to charge excessive prices and prey on consumers hoping to provide a gift or two for some wide eyed youngster.

If we had price or profit limitations in this country, then these dastardly thieves would not have anyone they could rip off.
DFL4LIFE

United States

#2 Oct 19, 2009
Shameful corporate bloodsuckers. They have the gall to charge a fee if their victims can't cough up all the money and back out of the deal. How is this even legal?

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Oct 19, 2009
dumb and dumber.
Sam

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Oct 20, 2009
Hey as a divorced mom who's ex chooses to NOT pay child support I welcome the idea of lay away. I can tell you this, I will shop at places that offere lay away. You call them blood suckers, but I find it a way to provide a nice Christmas without having to rack up more debt.
Just Sayin

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Oct 20, 2009
I've been using a layaway plan all my life. It's this thing called a bank account! I put money in there and when there's enough saved up I buy stuff with it. So crazy it actually works!
A Mom

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Oct 20, 2009
IrishMN wrote:
The article reads: "...retailers once again are turning to layaway to lure cash-strapped customers into making purchases."
How pathetic! These businesses are now using children and the holidays as their method to charge excessive prices and prey on consumers hoping to provide a gift or two for some wide eyed youngster.
If we had price or profit limitations in this country, then these dastardly thieves would not have anyone they could rip off.
Price & profit limitations!! This is America- retailers have a right to earn a profit. This is a free market society- Lay a way has provided many a family a way to make big purchases without credit card debt. A responsible way to make a purchase in my opinion. A $10.00 lay a way fee is a lot cheaper than 18% interest.

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#8 Oct 20, 2009
A Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Price & profit limitations!! This is America- retailers have a right to earn a profit. This is a free market society- Lay a way has provided many a family a way to make big purchases without credit card debt. A responsible way to make a purchase in my opinion. A $10.00 lay a way fee is a lot cheaper than 18% interest.
A $10 layaway fee on a $20 item is 50% interest.

That does not sound like such a bargain to me. Sounds as if the retailer is ripping off those that can not afford the item but need to get it so they do not destroy thier children's holiday dreams.
justsayin

Clifton, NJ

#9 Oct 25, 2009
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
A $10 layaway fee on a $20 item is 50% interest.
That does not sound like such a bargain to me. Sounds as if the retailer is ripping off those that can not afford the item but need to get it so they do not destroy thier children's holiday dreams.
this is why the headline reads "Toys R Us adds layaway for big-ticket items."
if you need to layaway 20$ items then you should not be buying them in the first place...
House

Phoenix, AZ

#10 Nov 17, 2009
Law away is a great idea. Funny how peopole with Credit cards & bank accounts (which both charge exhorbatent fees) are complaining. Get over it people!
Kelly

Pacific Palisades, CA

#11 Nov 20, 2009
As a single mom with 2 kids, I welcome the idea of layaway-especially from a company that I know about (and trust) like Toys R Us. They've been around long enough, I suppose, to earn that trust. Layaway: you have two choices...use it or ignore it. Either way, it's a great way to get what your kids want if you can't afford the whole thing at a particular time. Go TOYS R US!!(and other companies doing the same thing)
IrishMN wrote:

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#12 Nov 21, 2009
Kelly wrote:
As a single mom with 2 kids, I welcome the idea of layaway-especially from a company that I know about (and trust) like Toys R Us. They've been around long enough, I suppose, to earn that trust. Layaway: you have two choices...use it or ignore it. Either way, it's a great way to get what your kids want if you can't afford the whole thing at a particular time. Go TOYS R US!!(and other companies doing the same thing)
<quoted text>
Hey Kelly,

I am on your side and abhore those companies that rip off poor Mom's with the ridiculous ads that entice your children to badger you into buying crap that is masquerading as toys.

Also, if they really had a heart, they would see their toys at the holiday time without profits rather than take advantage of single mothers of two like you.

“I am always right.”

Former MN Taxpayer

#13 Nov 21, 2009
Above should read "sell" rather than "see".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toys R Us Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
former employees (Apr '09) Oct '16 TXINSGAL 8
Thanks Toys "R" Us...we found many toys for our... Jul '16 emando 2
My Friends Amazing Story (May '16) May '16 Taco Man 3333 1
SmarTrik commercial (May '16) May '16 Cammay327 1
News Toys 'R' Us posts strongest holiday sales in years (Jan '16) Jan '16 Ruth Dran 1
News Toys R Us plans to hire fewer holiday season wo... (Sep '15) Oct '15 Sona 10
interview with composer of Toys R Us jingle (Sep '15) Sep '15 PaulLevinson 1
More from around the web