No rest for Santa: Toys 'R' Us holds ...

No rest for Santa: Toys 'R' Us holds Christmas-in-July sale

There are 21 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 13, 2009, titled No rest for Santa: Toys 'R' Us holds Christmas-in-July sale. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Pull the big red suit out of storage, Santa: You're not going to get any downtime this year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Vidiotic

Woodridge, IL

#1 Jul 13, 2009
The ONE year I had all of my Christmas shopping done in time, was the year I started buying gifts in July. Seriously, a little bit of this is a good idea.
Santa

Round Lake, IL

#2 Jul 13, 2009
They can have all of the specials they want, but if you are trying to pay the bills and are worried you might be losing your job I do not think you are concerned with Christmas gifts.
jjrg7

Raleigh, NC

#3 Jul 13, 2009
Toys R Us sales are still always overpriced
Chad

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 13, 2009
Pathetic
Santa Claus

Sparks, NV

#5 Jul 13, 2009
Unfortunately, Linda DeNotaris of Toys 'R' Us fails to mention that Santa Claus doesn't take a rest at all. My legal name is Santa Claus. I volunteer full-time as an advocate for the 2 million children in the U.S. annually who are abused, neglected, exploited, abandoned, homeless, and institutionalized through no fault of their own. I invite your readers to visit TheSantaClausFoundation dot org and become familiar with the plight of these vulnerable children in dire straits. Personally, I believe that the greatest gift one can give is love, not presents. Blessings to all, Santa Claus
Donald Ofus

Naperville, IL

#6 Jul 13, 2009
You can't blame the company for trying to drum up a little business. I'm sure Toys 'R Us is hurting more than most being a specialty store that sells non-essential gear in this economic client. It would be a sad day if Toys R' Us went under.

Since: Jun 09

Bolingbrook, IL

#7 Jul 13, 2009
Vidiotic wrote:
The ONE year I had all of my Christmas shopping done in time, was the year I started buying gifts in July. Seriously, a little bit of this is a good idea.
Starting your shopping early is probably not a bad idea.

However, I REALLY take offense with the portion of the event that suggests that parents can bring their kids into the store to make Christmas cards and receive candy canes. This takes 100% of the meaning out of the Christmas holiday.
Amy

United States

#8 Jul 13, 2009
One more place to NOT shop at. When are consumers going to wise up-- this is just ridiculous. Boycott any company that can't have any respect for the calendar.
Ho Ho Hum

Valparaiso, IN

#9 Jul 13, 2009
Vidiotic wrote:
Sure, a bit of this helps, but we all knew darn right well that when Sears announced their sales move, other retailers (not to be outdone) would jump on the bandwagon. Will it make me buy more gifts earlier? No way. I have priorities like regaining my full-time employment before I worry about any holiday shopping, and my guess is there are many others in the same boat.
OnlyMe

Chicago, IL

#10 Jul 13, 2009
Santa wrote:
They can have all of the specials they want, but if you are trying to pay the bills and are worried you might be losing your job I do not think you are concerned with Christmas gifts.
Business-wise, it's a shrewd and smart move. They're betting that those that are employed now may not be in the fall, which is smart. Why not get the sale now (even at 1/2 off) than not get anything in November??
TDDRB

Chicago, IL

#11 Jul 13, 2009
Why celebrate only 1 Christmas at a time? Wouldn't Toys R Us make more money if they moved Christmas 2010 up by about 17 months? How about tossing in Christmas 2011? We can have 3 Christmases right here in July 2009.
NoConservativePr opaganda

Chicago, IL

#12 Jul 13, 2009
The only fools interested in "Christmas in July" specials are the ones still paying off the excessive gifts they bought the last holiday season at loan shark rates.
Jack Stephens

Staten Island, NY

#13 Jul 13, 2009
I'm sure Jesus is so proud his birth is being bastardized by terrorist "xtians" who exploit a Great Man for their own personal gain.

xtianity, its a just a schitty lifestyle!
Independent Voter Joliet

Joliet, IL

#14 Jul 13, 2009
Kids will be LUCKY if they get clothes this year the way things are going..
Donald Ofus

Naperville, IL

#15 Jul 15, 2009
cattlekid wrote:
<quoted text>
Starting your shopping early is probably not a bad idea.
However, I REALLY take offense with the portion of the event that suggests that parents can bring their kids into the store to make Christmas cards and receive candy canes. This takes 100% of the meaning out of the Christmas holiday.
Yes because the meaning of Christmas is all about making cards and receiving candy canes.

Since: Jun 09

Bolingbrook, IL

#16 Jul 15, 2009
Donald Ofus wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes because the meaning of Christmas is all about making cards and receiving candy canes.
Unfortunately, to many, that's all the meaning left in Christmas.
Angeleyes_Tazz

Pana, IL

#17 Jul 16, 2009
NoConservativePropaganda wrote:
The only fools interested in "Christmas in July" specials are the ones still paying off the excessive gifts they bought the last holiday season at loan shark rates.
I am sorry to say,I and many of my friends look forward to Christmas in July" specials ! For one I save up just for the holidays,and only pay cash,!! I watch prices close and make sure I am getting the true 50% to 75% off my gifts for my family! I shop all year long that way I will know they have something under that tree! It may not be the those high price new game systems or things like that ! But it's something they have had on there list they want!! My kids have been with out x-mas before and it will never happen again.if more people would buy a little at a time,they won't have the large bills at end of the year that they can't pay for! Have we lost a job,well could say that lost hours now just part time,we have to take 1 week a month as lay off just to help keep our factory afloat! Because people don't spend a little,now we our losing our stores,making people loose there jobs!! If we can't look forward to that 1 day of the year when we see our kids have that smile on there face ,when we all should forget the bad and have 1 day stress free,and just enjoy being a family! If we can't do that then what are we working for?
Angeleyes_Tazz

Pana, IL

#18 Jul 16, 2009
Donald Ofus wrote:
<quoted text>
for one it will keep the kids busy,let them have a fun day! I think it would be nice if some of these Places offered for these kids to make cards to be sent to our men and women at war! the stores could send them off and bring a smile to someone elses face,Kids feel the stress we are all goig through,with job loss! the big name places couldn't pay there bills,so now we are getting taxed on everything,prices up on everything making it to where we can't pay our bills!! Bill collecters harrassing us,we get grumpy the kids feel it! one fun day makes it easier on the kids
James

AOL

#19 Jul 16, 2009
Christmas in July is a great idea! At least buying a few things now and through the fall can offset the craziness of the holidays.

I'm already seeing sales creep up of my Christmas themed novel, LOST WAGES: A LAS VEGAS CHRISTMAS TALE on both amazon and through my site www.worldofjamesalexander.com . People are already looking for the perfect gift and my book is evidence of that!
Angeleyes_tazz

Mattoon, IL

#20 Jul 6, 2010
NoConservativePropaganda wrote:
LOL ,I find this funny ! I Buy christmas gifts all year long when they are on sale,I have all my gifts bought,paid off because you buy a little at a time for 11 months,If i find a good deal on Black friday I will go for it,But come Dec 1st my gifts are wraped and ready to go,I spend the rest of the month relaxed and doing crafts with the kids,baking cookies,fudge holiday movies all month long..going on trips to look at lights.That month should be spent together doing things the kids will always remember!! The ones that wait til end of yr run the into ( oh no my kids will have nothen for x-mas) they go to churches and other means to have gifts gave to them for there kids.If you plan and buget everyone can have a nice holiday and not end up oweing a dime at the start of the year.I am not rich,and i do donate gifts to kids i know wouldn't get anything because of those that wait

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toys R Us Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thanks Toys "R" Us...we found many toys for our... Jul '16 emando 2
My Friends Amazing Story May '16 Taco Man 3333 1
SmarTrik commercial May '16 Cammay327 1
News Toys 'R' Us posts strongest holiday sales in years (Jan '16) Jan '16 Ruth Dran 1
former employees (Apr '09) Oct '15 Sona 7
News Toys R Us plans to hire fewer holiday season wo... (Sep '15) Oct '15 Sona 10
interview with composer of Toys R Us jingle (Sep '15) Sep '15 PaulLevinson 1
More from around the web