Toy Containing Date-Rape Drug Pulled

Toy Containing Date-Rape Drug Pulled

There are 204 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 7, 2007, titled Toy Containing Date-Rape Drug Pulled. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Millions of Chinese-made toys have been pulled from shelves in North America and Australia after scientists found they contain a chemical that converts into a powerful "date rape" drug when ingested.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
John Canada

Barrie, Canada

#233 Nov 10, 2007
hey ,here's an idea , lets make toys in north america again . Just a thought .
LUMUMBA LIVES
Luna Baby

Glasgow, KY

#235 Nov 11, 2007
John Canada wrote:
<quoted text>If what you say is true then someone somewhere has got to pay . There is NO excuse for this . All of us ,and especially children , need to be protected from such shoddy and unlawful practices . When manufacturers put profit ahead of the welfare of the people then it's time WE did some house cleaning . This is not the late 19th century , we know the harm that lead and other chemicals do to the human body . TIME FOR A CHANGE !!
LUMUMBA LIVES
I am only going by what was reported in the news here locally. Someone posted that the Chinese were only doing what they were told, that they were following the specs provided by our U.S. companies contracting for the toys/products to be made. I cannot fathom to imagine that ANY U.S. manufacturer would contract to a foreign company and then tell them to use a dangerous product. There is a paper trail, even for matters as these. It was reported in the news that the Chinese switched the glue required in the Aqua Dots from the safe glue to the non-safe glue. There has been way too much coming out of China for me to sit here and believe that we (the U.S.) told them to do it. Our researchers/designers/engieers all know that the melamine was dangerous to our pets. Why would we (the U.S.) tell the manufacturer/assembler to use it? We all know that lead paint is dangerous to our children. Why would we tell the manufacturer/assembler to use it? We all know the dangers of GHB, even in adults but definitely in children. Why would we tell them to use it. I call absolute bullshit that we told them to do it. I (and this is my personal opinion) feel like this is a form of terrorism and regardless of the cost, we have got to be stricter on standards, especially for the safety of our children. If we, the parents, consumers, citizens, do not stand up and demand quality and safety, then we are as guilty for allowing it, but I can't say that we (the U.S.) told the Chinese to use harmful products.

JMHO
Brubaker

United States

#236 Nov 12, 2007
vJames wrote:
what will it take for the toy industry to bring the manufacturing back home? not only would this prevent these types of events, but it would for sure boost the economy and help the unemployed in our country. I guess their profit is too big to do what is right...
It would be prudent to boycott their products as Christmas approaches. Let the bottom line drop out of theirprofits until their toys can meet standards in the U.S.A.
Randolph Edgington III

AOL

#238 Dec 1, 2007
George Bush is to blame for the condition of this country, including the poisoning of the U.S. citizens by toys, food, tooth paste, McDonalds, nicotine, etc. Him and his damng "oil envy".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toys R Us Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
former employees (Apr '09) Dec '16 Fedup 9
Thanks Toys "R" Us...we found many toys for our... (Jun '16) Jul '16 emando 2
My Friends Amazing Story (May '16) May '16 Taco Man 3333 1
SmarTrik commercial (May '16) May '16 Cammay327 1
News Toys 'R' Us posts strongest holiday sales in years (Jan '16) Jan '16 Ruth Dran 1
News Toys R Us plans to hire fewer holiday season wo... (Sep '15) Oct '15 Sona 10
interview with composer of Toys R Us jingle (Sep '15) Sep '15 PaulLevinson 1
More from around the web