Toy Containing Date-Rape Drug Pulled

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Millions of Chinese-made toys have been pulled from shelves in North America and Australia after scientists found they contain a chemical that converts into a powerful "date rape" drug when ingested.
Comments
1 - 20 of 204 Comments Last updated Dec 1, 2007
First Prev
of 11
Next Last
LPS

Arlington Heights, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2007

Geez, how much worse can this get? As racist and ignorant as the thought is, I am starting to wonder if these wack-job conspiracy theorists who claim the Chinese are trying to kill us are right! I mean, what's next, a bag of broken glass, coated in strychnine?

Since: Oct 07

L..A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2007

what will it take for the toy industry to bring the manufacturing back home? not only would this prevent these types of events, but it would for sure boost the economy and help the unemployed in our country. I guess their profit is too big to do what is right...
Bud Lite

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2007

LPS wrote:
Geez, how much worse can this get? As racist and ignorant as the thought is, I am starting to wonder if these wack-job conspiracy theorists who claim the Chinese are trying to kill us are right! I mean, what's next, a bag of broken glass, coated in strychnine?
Maybe all the electronic gadgets contain an explosive set to go off at a preset date and time.
catsy

Greensboro, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2007

I've never been much of a conspiracy theorist but it certainly makes me wonder. My daughter will be getting clothes this year for Christmas...homemade at that!

“Love the City that Works!”

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

What quality control should people expect from a country that has none.

When you buy that cheap item at Wal-Mart, picture a filthy sweatshop in a 3rd world country, because that is where the merchandise is coming from.

American workers were sold out by numerous corporations when they took their operations overseas or re-located to Mexico.

Prices never came down, but profits went up and the corporations got richer as they exploited cheap labor. In terms of wages it is a race to the bottom.

Now we are getting merchandise that is substandard and that doesn't meet our safety expectations.

“You really got me”

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

This can't be true. It's a pure propaganda trick saying: "Beware of the Chinese".

Since: Sep 07

Ravena, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

My kid's favorite toy right now. At six, she knows not to place small toys, etc in her mouth, but the cat likes to play with the dropped beads...
John

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

Lets see...fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me seventeen times...well I'm just a money hungry corporate executive. Maybe we should start making our own stuff here...in America...just a novel idea. In case anyone hasn't noticed our economy is going down the drains. For the first time in my life I truly have doubts about the future of this country.

“Dropped on head as child”

Since: Dec 06

Athens, Ga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

Republican - "Government regulations - BAD"

Democrat - "Protect the consumer"

Republican - "Environment - BAD"

Democrat - "Protect the environment"

Republican - "Jebus - GOOD! protect him with police!"

Democrat - "Jesus doesn't need our help"
One Brown Eye

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

Easy solution. Do not buy toys that are made in China.
Even Tempered

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

vJames wrote:
what will it take for the toy industry to bring the manufacturing back home? not only would this prevent these types of events, but it would for sure boost the economy and help the unemployed in our country. I guess their profit is too big to do what is right...
As long as we have FAMILY DOLLAR and DOLLAR GENERAL, the chinese will always have a place to sell thier TAINTED toys. I suggest we JUST STOP BUYING from them! Whats the problem?
Even Tempered

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

opistoglyph wrote:
My kid's favorite toy right now. At six, she knows not to place small toys, etc in her mouth, but the cat likes to play with the dropped beads...
AT SIX you should know that she will do what suits her fancy when your not looking... GET RID OF THE TOY! Geesh... what will it take?
stella

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

What's wrong with a box of crayons,paper and an imagination?
Stop buying this CRAP people!!!

Since: Aug 07

Covington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

I've been making small wooden toys, blocks, other stuff from safe, domestic woods, safe pigments, and safe, domestic finishes. I ought to go into business...
seanpmi

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

This is the price we pay for moving our factories and industries to China for the sake of company profit. Does the USA manufacture anything completely made in the US anymore? Oh sure, we want cheap prices but at this expense?
Even Tempered

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

stella wrote:
What's wrong with a box of crayons,paper and an imagination?
Stop buying this CRAP people!!!
I was gonna say the same thing... when we were kids we spent SO MUCH time playing school, making mud pies, playing "store" with leaves as dollars, played "chirstmas" as we wrapped our coloring books, blocks etc in news paper, heck Mom even let us put slips of paper in the books in the book case so we could play LIBRARY! You can MAKE your own fun, but it takes an adult to help a child EXPAND on those ideas. And, a kid has MUCH more fun helping Mom bake cupcakes or fix the salad then they do with any pokemon toy!
yyy

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

Brava wrote:
What quality control should people expect from a country that has none.
When you buy that cheap item at Wal-Mart, picture a filthy sweatshop in a 3rd world country, because that is where the merchandise is coming from.
American workers were sold out by numerous corporations when they took their operations overseas or re-located to Mexico.
Prices never came down, but profits went up and the corporations got richer as they exploited cheap labor. In terms of wages it is a race to the bottom.
Now we are getting merchandise that is substandard and that doesn't meet our safety expectations.
cheap help less pay more people who dont care careless misteakes slide by as a result deadly sickness and death have you ever heard of so much food contaminated in your life i never did not only beef but spinich too even dog food no one wants to pay the workers so why should they care to put out productive quality think about it this is only the beginning i guess the best is yet to come
Even Tempered

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

humor me here wrote:
I've been making small wooden toys, blocks, other stuff from safe, domestic woods, safe pigments, and safe, domestic finishes. I ought to go into business...
Oh yeah? I would be interested in hearing MORE about this concept.... safe toys??? Get OUT! But really,, I want to hear more.
SickOfItAll

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

Boycott all toys made in China. Make a point to our foolish, corrupt government that is NOT for the people, by the people. The U.S. needs to be more self-reliant rather than constantly give business to other countries. This country is going DOWNILL fast and our own people need help. Charity begins at home and we need to help and protect our own, not worry about giving them business and saving money by doing so. Pay Americans to make the products, just be sure they're not crap like American automobiles.
Just An Observer

Oscoda, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2007

Why don't we all just call for the head of this administration to be thrown out on the street----NOW! Is this the straw that breaks the camels' back? How much more are we going to put up with???? If we don't do a thing people, we are sending a message that we CONDONE the disgusting dealings of this administration, and the people who serve with him! Get marching, and get screaming!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Toys R Us Discussions

Search the Toys R Us Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Mattel stung by Barbie, Fisher-Price sales drops Feb '14 customer 1
New Toys R Us Return Policy (Jul '06) Jan '14 Mary 131
Cute and collectible top Toys R Us 'hot toy' list (Sep '10) Oct '13 pandawillgood 3
Toys 'R' Us' losses underscore importance of ne... (Oct '13) Oct '13 X employee 1
Toys R Us Inc - 10-Q - Management's Discussion ... (Dec '12) Jul '13 James Norton 2
gameplay videos (May '13) May '13 keane 2
employee discount (Jan '13) Apr '13 Crystal 2
•••
•••