Hawkins official seeking identity of ...

Hawkins official seeking identity of person who libeled her on Topix

There are 27 comments on the Kingsport Times story from Feb 26, 2013, titled Hawkins official seeking identity of person who libeled her on Topix. In it, Kingsport Times reports that:

Hawkins County Clerk of Courts Sarah Davis will be in Circuit Court on Wednesday - as a plaintiff instead of a court official - seeking a subpoena for the identity of the unknown person who libeled her online last year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kingsport Times.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
gossamer

Roseville, MI

#1 Mar 2, 2013
Are these allegations true?
you dummy

Johnson City, TN

#2 Mar 2, 2013
just said what I wanted to.
Fargoe

Ringgold, GA

#3 Mar 2, 2013
Wait, I can't tell. Is this her?...
http://youtu.be/bufTna0WArc

This would be funny except for the time and public resources taken to file such a frivolous lawsuit.$200,000??? She is probably sitting there as I type, getting paid with tax dollars to read this.

It's easy enough to see how they could get the IP from Topix, trace it to an ISP, get THAT IP and trace it to an address...assuming it wasn't a public computer and assuming they weren't using an anonymous proxy. But even then, if there are multiple people living at the residence of the accused, how do they plan to prove who was sitting at the computer?

In the end, I hope there's not a court in the country that's going to waste time and tax dollars giving that much credit to a relatively anonymous poster who's probably some bored punk kid on the internet who is just saying rude things about someone.(Assuming of course it's not a peeved coworker.) This is not about a big drug deal or a murder. This is not even worthy of a lawsuit, much less a $200k one. Topix threads are known for trolls and simply do not merit such serious attention.
in her defense sort of

Columbus, OH

#4 Mar 3, 2013
She's a Clerk of Courts for the county. The title of this thread even labels her as a "Hawkins Official". A sort of servant of the public.

You have to understand that a posted dirty rumor like that could build up to the point that it leads to public outcry and besmirches her reputation and even costs her job through resignation at the least.

However. If the rumor is true. And the court exposes an assorted past, this could be just as troubling to her "clean" reputation that she is trying to defend.

Furthermore, we haven't heard about her possible posting behavior on Topix that may have led to these trollistic remarks in the first place. Her posts will surely be brought up. And this could also be damaging to her reputation.

Sometimes it's best to just settle out of court.
Rob

Johnson City, TN

#5 Mar 3, 2013
My question is if she seeks damages from libel, then what is she claiming was damaged?

She won the election. I wonder how many people she can bring to court & testify that they changed their mind about her on a personal or professional level.

What was damaged? Who believes anything you read on topix anyways?
Sort of disagree

Kingsport, TN

#6 Mar 3, 2013
in her defense sort of wrote:
She's a Clerk of Courts for the county. The title of this thread even labels her as a "Hawkins Official". A sort of servant of the public.
You have to understand that a posted dirty rumor like that could build up to the point that it leads to public outcry and besmirches her reputation and even costs her job through resignation at the least.
However. If the rumor is true. And the court exposes an assorted past, this could be just as troubling to her "clean" reputation that she is trying to defend.
Furthermore, we haven't heard about her possible posting behavior on Topix that may have led to these trollistic remarks in the first place. Her posts will surely be brought up. And this could also be damaging to her reputation.
Sometimes it's best to just settle out of court.
The article states that she was running for office at the time this rumor started. She has since won the job. I don't see how she can claim her reputation was hit as it didn't cost her the election. It would be ironic for her to lose the next one due to all of the locals refusing to vote for her simply for the fact that she can allegedly dish it out but not take it.
ttytx

United States

#7 Mar 4, 2013
Were they proved to be actual rumors?
Has she taken any measures to prove that her words are true?
Has anything other than saying someone libeled her and filing for a subpoena for monetary purposes been done?
This is just another something to grab local attention and at the same time waste resources at her disposal.
All through life people have talked about other people. They talked about Jesus, EVERY President, and even the beloved (by some) Pope. With any position in a Public Office chit chat/rumors can be expected. What you do to prove it untrue and holding no validity is what people will remember. Her attempting to file some charges to hush the rumors seems more like a CYA type ordeal.
experience

United States

#8 Mar 5, 2013
All for attention.
donna

United States

#9 Mar 5, 2013
I guess we will find out tomorrow when they go to court. That's when they will probably say who did it.
yuck

Johnson City, TN

#10 Mar 5, 2013
thats one ugly old woman.
donna

United States

#12 Mar 5, 2013
yuck wrote:
who's ugly?
igree

Greer, SC

#13 Mar 16, 2013
yuck wrote:
who?
the truth of it

Knoxville, TN

#14 Mar 17, 2013
to start the clerk is a public figure and subject to public scrutiny, opinon, and sometimes ridicule. It is my opinion the this one is an ass for pusuing such a rediculous suit. her reaction (if it is as this site indicates)is ignorant and casts doubts as to wether she is credible. her pursuit of the idiot who made the comments suggests there may be some truth to them.
Oh boy

Johnson City, TN

#15 Mar 17, 2013
I think your next..,,
AMAZING

Strawberry Plains, TN

#16 Mar 17, 2013
They start out HAWKINS OFFICAL?
brenda s crumley 61

Morristown, TN

#17 Mar 19, 2013
i totally support the clerkmy husband joe crumlewas libeled daily on topix and they ruined our lives. no one has the right to libel another in this country. until you've been attacked on the internet, the press& wjhl don;t judge. she's paying her own legal fees' this lie almost destroyed her marriage and ruined her reputation. i hope she destroys them in court for what topix did to me and joe. mrs joe crumley
man eater

Conover, NC

#19 Mar 21, 2013
anyone heard who the posted is? just wondering.
so?

Satellite Beach, FL

#20 Aug 13, 2013
What happened?
IS THAT ORIGINAL

Clinton, TN

#21 Aug 13, 2013
Thread that started the issue still on here?
chuck up

United States

#22 Aug 13, 2013
brenda s crumley 61 wrote:
i totally support the clerkmy husband joe crumlewas libeled daily on topix and they ruined our lives. no one has the right to libel another in this country. until you've been attacked on the internet, the press& wjhl don;t judge. she's paying her own legal fees' this lie almost destroyed her marriage and ruined her reputation. i hope she destroys them in court for what topix did to me and joe. mrs joe crumley
Ruined your lives? How could anyone let anything on topix upset them. Its basically Slander.com , is all satire be it with the truth or fiction. Some people just were not cut out for AL Gores internet

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Grieving Parents (Still) Can't Sue Topix For So... (Oct '15) Oct '15 -meabadboy- 2
News Blekko Shuts Down, Becomes Part Of IBM Watson (Apr '15) Apr '15 Sam 1
News "Topix" Message Board Website Criticized For Al... (May '11) Oct '14 MSO4 78
News Wanderful Media cultivates Chico's tech side (May '14) May '14 DAVID LAPINSKY 1
Brushton Stewarts (May '14) May '14 Poor Closer 3
News Take A Look Into Topix - Mass Bullying Across T... (Feb '13) Mar '14 Rick Grimes 562
News Tokyo negative at break (Jan '14) Jan '14 Fukushima Nuke Wa... 1
More from around the web