Toll Brothers
First Prev
of 20
Next Last
Sara Jane

Norristown, PA

#1 Apr 1, 2006
Holding the land hostage for gigantic Toll Brothers profits on the backs of the local taxpayers is the norm today. We fail to hold them accountable for the school taxes that the existing residents must bear to support this kind of development that will lead to further degradation of the quality of the countryside -- traffic, more demand for local township services, and loss of valuable farmland.

Joni Mitchell was right "They paved paradise to put up a parking lot."

We need to rethink the development model especially in light of the tax burden to existing residents and the coming oil crisis. And now Toll wants the Regional Plan modified????

Finally the prevelance of back room deals and decisions in local townships is a clear violation of open government laws.
Who are they representing the people or developers?
Tom Reems

Blowing Rock, NC

#2 Aug 12, 2006
It appears the scam that Toll Brothers has been using to boost there perseved profits will finally strat to fall in aroud them. I have worked for Toll and it is clear what they are doing. They are a land bank. Toll purchases land, develops the land, and inflates the value of the land for the shareholders. The shareholders look at the assets as a total, never to know the inflated value of the developed lots is based on inhouse apprassials from Toll Brothers. In the Charlotte, NC market, Toll valued vacant lots for $100,000.00. Doesn't sound bad unless you look at the price point for the neighborhood being $300,000 to $400,000. I once talked to an estimator who pointed out, if everything goes right Toll would only loose $10,000.00 per house. To counter this loss, Toll increased their land holdings in Charlotte, inflate the cost of the land, and guess what.... the Charlotte office is profitable. When housing sales fall then Toll will have to scale back their land purchases, and their scam will be exposed. Will Toll be the next Zaring Homes?
Toll Homeowner

AOL

#3 Aug 25, 2006
The Truth About Toll Brothers

Toll's tactics affect the end consumer as well. Learn more about the practices of America's Largest Luxury Homebuilder by clicking on the following link or searching under "The Truth About Toll Brothers".

The blog examines Toll's sales and marketing practices as well as Toll's failure to comply with clearly established and well defined laws.

http://tolltruth.blogspot.com/
Karen

AOL

#4 Aug 30, 2006
4 years ago, I walked into a Michigan Toll sales office shortly after its grand opening. My husband and I wanted, more than anything else, a lot with a private backyard. I was intrigued by Lot 17, but apprehensive of its high price.$65,000. Of course, I inquired.

I asked pointblank about the land behind Lot 17. I was told, repeatedly, that nothing would be built behind this lot – no development at all - ever. I was shown erroneous brochures. I was shown an erroneous Master Deed. I was shown an erroneous Final Site Plan (and, trust me, I know what “preliminary” means and I know what “final” means). And I was shown the full-color version of the erroneous Site Plan posted prominently in the sales office.

I spent some time investigating. I went to the City to verify that the data in the Master Deed and on the Final Site Plan was correct. Sure enough, all of Toll’s plans were laid out just as they said. No development behind my lot or the adjacent lots. And, according to the laws of the State of Michigan, these documents had to be accurate. Otherwise, my rights could surely be violated and the seller would be in direct violation of the Michigan Consumer Protection Act, the Michigan Condominium Act and the Local Ordinances of the City. The legal requirement was on Toll to tell the truth, to disclose the information. Every time they handed me a document, every time they opened their mouths.

Well, here I sit, 4 years later, looking out to cheap condominiums. No privacy here. I lost my rights and my $65,000. I turned to Toll, then the City, then the legal system. There was no justice to be found. Just a lot of people running and hiding behind Arbitration clauses, Integration clauses, anything but the truth.

<Another Toll Homeowner>
Anonymous

AOL

#5 Sep 2, 2006
HIRE AN INSPECTOR!!

There is no "solution" to living in a Toll home, other than not buying one to begin with. HOWEVER, before your first year is over, HIRE A HOME INSPECTOR to thoroughly inspect the house. You would do this if you were buying a used house, and unfortunately with Toll, it's really no different!

We hired an inspector after living in our Toll monstrosity for 11 months. It cost $250. He wrote up pages of defects (including digital pix of the damaged areas) and found thousands and thousands of dollars worth of repairs (lots of shoddy insulation and electrical work in the attic spaces!).

Again, it's no solution, but all we had to do was make a copy of his report and give it to Toll. After staying on them for OVER 4 YEARS to do most of the repairs, I think we got a lot more work out of Toll than we would have without an inspector.

Finally, if you think your local city inspector is protecting you, guess again. His palms are greased and his focus is on protecting his relationship with Toll Brothers. You're on your own when you buy a Toll home.
Toll Brothers Homeowner

AOL

#6 Sep 6, 2006
Here's a tidbit. I live in a Toll Brothers neighborhood (approximately 80 homes) in Texas. I have not met/spoken to one single individual who bought a new home from Toll in this neighborhood who would EVER buy another. NONE would recommend a Toll home and would definitely NEVER buy another.

BUYERS BEWARE. Toll includes in their contracts an arbitration agreement. Look for it. It's in their contracts. Here is the reality of what this means. Toll will not correct their faulty construction issues. If they do, the work will be substandard and need correcting. Then they walk.

If one seeks legal counsel to force Toll to correct faulty construction, the arbitration agreement kicks in. Here's a no brainer. Guess who has the power to choose the arbitrator??? Toll, of course. Will the arbitrator hired by Toll rule in favor of the homeowner? Of course not.

My home had water entering the home between the interior and exterior walls. Not 'wall', singular - but MOST walls which have windows - around the ENTIRE home, upstairs AND downstairs. I had extensive mold/water damage. Toll started to fix the problems, but walked the job. Now they site their arbitration agreement.

DO NOT BUY A NEW TOLL BROTHERS HOME. You can't win. Don't let the exterior/superficial beauty convince you that you will not have MAJOR problems in the future. I never could have predicted that this home had water between the interior and exterior walls. I never could have predicted that the flashing on the house would be installed incorrectly rendering it useless and allowing water to enter around the chimney (cracked, stained walls), roof, and bay window. Where there is Toll, there will be water damage that won't be noticible for a few years.

Do not buy a new home from Toll Brothers. You will regret it.
tired of toll

Parlin, NJ

#7 Oct 19, 2006
i have been looking into that arbritation law, and I am still looking it may actually be against state law, or federal law, because the arbirtatier must be neutral if not then it can be heard in the court.
it would be bias for the arbritater not to be neutral and if proof is filed with the court, it maybe over turned. still researching let you all know when i find out.
toll brothers lazy

Parlin, NJ

#8 Oct 19, 2006
I will never by another house from Toll Brothers, i would rather buy a handy man special for the price that we paid for these homes and redo it and then move into it. At least I would know what kind of work and workmanship went into the home. Buy Toll Brothers is worse then buying a handy man special.
At least you get what you pay for with a handy man special. with Toll Brothers you pay big and get what is suppose to be a well construted home, but is actually like that show the money pit.
toll brothers who

Parlin, NJ

#9 Oct 19, 2006
i was so disapointed by Toll Brothers after buying our home i sent everyone I know that was looking for a new home to buy from someone else or stay put. two people i know after our experenice with toll brothers would not even look at them. another friend looking into another builder will not buy toll brothers. So I quess that is just a $1,100000.00, or more in sales, after expenses maybe $900,000.00 give or take. And now with my friend looking to buy from the other builder that's more money he looses. You think his staff would be smart, if there is no company they have no job, and that is a no brianer, so you think they would want to keep the customers happy specially in todays market. If they do not get things done and I have to pay for it, then at least I can say that his family lost money to. like I say the door swings both ways don't let it hit you in the face or the ______ on the way out. they should be worried about customer service when they are still looking to build more homes through the united states. Some people just know people who know people and so on. And I am a person who is all over the place and I make sure I tell everyone, and then they tell everyone, so what are they going to do. I am just tellimg people exactly what Toll Brothers sold us,it is what we received from them, and how they have repaired things, oh I'm sorry they do not repair them. They dummy them up. I have had somethings done, after months of wating, some completed and some still waiting months for. do you have mold is the big question, test your homes. I have mold, never know if you maybe allergic to the mold in your home. it may not seem to be alot of money to him. but it is to his stock, and his family as they grow and have children of their own, it all comes back around
Toll Homeowner

AOL

#10 Oct 30, 2006
WARNING TO ALL PROSPECTIVE HOME BUYERS! Please read if you are considering the purchase of a newly constructed home, especially a Toll Brothers home. If you sign a Toll contract, you will sign away ALL of your rights.

http://tolltruth.blogspot.com/
rpl

New York, NY

#11 Dec 1, 2006
I am in the process of purchasing a toll brothers home in Poughkeepsie,NY (arlinghton) i basically fell in love with their homes.. however i am not too keen on the blogs i have read so far.. also i am not so feeling poughkeepsie, ny.. my wife loves the entire idea, home etc.. but i would like to know if i have already signed the contract, made deposits etc.. is there a way to cancel.. i visited the site and there's only foundation done..
any suggestions??
Gary -South Carolina

Coarsegold, CA

#12 Dec 6, 2006
rpl wrote:
I am in the process of purchasing a toll brothers home in Poughkeepsie,NY (arlinghton) i basically fell in love with their homes.. however i am not too keen on the blogs i have read so far.. also i am not so feeling poughkeepsie, ny.. my wife loves the entire idea, home etc.. but i would like to know if i have already signed the contract, made deposits etc.. is there a way to cancel.. i visited the site and there's only foundation done..
any suggestions??
Response: I am a former Toll Home owner in one of their earlier sites in Bucks Cty, Pa. While our home was being built, we inspected the house every day-sometimes just my wife-due to my travel. This made them very nervous- even the subs. "what's the matter, don't you trust us?" they would say. "No, we just want to make sure "our HOME" is being done right. To Toll, they are buildings- all the same. To us, they are HOMES- our homes! Get a lawyer. Have him write a letter. You may have to forfeit part of your contarct $'s-but it's orht it depending on the amoount and your situation. That's all I can suggest. "You get what you inspect, not what you expect!" We ended up with the fewest problems in an 80+ home site. While we were building, there were 1500 lawsuits, just in Montgomery Cty, their home cty. Big, lousy builders!
One mre thing- get to know your overall site manager well- the guy who comes around and checks periodically your home. Treat him well. they get treated like s---! because of Toll. Our guy went the extra mile while we were building. We were the only owners to be invited to his birthday block party that next summer. We're nothing special. Treat the people who can get things done right. Our guy used to escape to our home for a few mins and coffee to get away from the irate other owners. we made him welcome. It paid off! Good luck.
Gary -South Carolina

Coarsegold, CA

#13 Dec 6, 2006
Karen wrote:
4 years ago, I walked into a Michigan Toll sales office shortly after its grand opening. My husband and I wanted, more than anything else, a lot with a private backyard. I was intrigued by Lot 17, but apprehensive of its high price.$65,000. Of course, I inquired.
I asked pointblank about the land behind Lot 17. I was told, repeatedly, that nothing would be built behind this lot – no development at all - ever. I was shown erroneous brochures. I was shown an erroneous Master Deed. I was shown an erroneous Final Site Plan (and, trust me, I know what “preliminary” means and I know what “final” means). And I was shown the full-color version of the erroneous Site Plan posted prominently in the sales office.
I spent some time investigating. I went to the City to verify that the data in the Master Deed and on the Final Site Plan was correct. Sure enough, all of Toll’s plans were laid out just as they said. No development behind my lot or the adjacent lots. And, according to the laws of the State of Michigan, these documents had to be accurate. Otherwise, my rights could surely be violated and the seller would be in direct violation of the Michigan Consumer Protection Act, the Michigan Condominium Act and the Local Ordinances of the City. The legal requirement was on Toll to tell the truth, to disclose the information. Every time they handed me a document, every time they opened their mouths.
Well, here I sit, 4 years later, looking out to cheap condominiums. No privacy here. I lost my rights and my $65,000. I turned to Toll, then the City, then the legal system. There was no justice to be found. Just a lot of people running and hiding behind Arbitration clauses, Integration clauses, anything but the truth.
<Another Toll Homeowner>
Karen, I'm not clear.Did you move into the home? Or forfeit your $65k? Did anyone ever hear of class action? There are literally thousand and thousands of suits against Toll. Come on tort lawyers-get a % and o these homeowners a favor!
Toll Brothers Homeowner

AOL

#14 Dec 8, 2006
rpl wrote:
I am in the process of purchasing a toll brothers home in Poughkeepsie,NY (arlinghton) i basically fell in love with their homes.. however i am not too keen on the blogs i have read so far.. also i am not so feeling poughkeepsie, ny.. my wife loves the entire idea, home etc.. but i would like to know if i have already signed the contract, made deposits etc.. is there a way to cancel.. i visited the site and there's only foundation done..
any suggestions??
You need a lawyer. If you can get out of purchasing a Toll home, DO SO. I "fell in love" with this home and the area just as your wife has with that area. Never buy a new Toll home. Based upon my experience with this home, they have MAJOR faulty construction issues, which, in this case, led to extensive water damage throughout the house. Toll failed in constructing the home, and continues to fail. After a year, the home still is not fixed. I understand what it takes to build a home, and have designed and built 2 custom homes in different parts of the country. This is my third home, a Toll home, which was constructed and on the market when we moved to this part of the country. I never dreamed that one home could have so many problems, which, again, Toll has not corrected. Trust me, the people who are in their customer service/warranty branch are some of the most dishonest and dumbest people you'll ever meet.

Do NOT purchase a Toll home.
burn with toll

Ashburn, VA

#15 Dec 18, 2006
" am in the process of purchasing a toll brothers home in Poughkeepsie,NY (arlinghton) i basically fell in love with their homes.. however i am not too keen on the blogs i have read so far.. also i am not so feeling poughkeepsie, ny.. my wife loves the entire idea, home etc.. but i would like to know if i have already signed the contract, made deposits etc.. is there a way to cancel.. i visited the site and there's only foundation done..
any suggestions?? "

Take advice of attorney at earliest. Not usre if you have signed for any notes. They have got me signed notes which I realised after cancelling my contract. now they are demanding extra 5% of house value as i have signed notes. not to mention I already lost my 5% in deposite.

It was tool late I started looking web site for toll and found all this information. Toll suck
burn with toll

Ashburn, VA

#16 Dec 18, 2006
Check this topic also about toll contract. They are now demanding extra 5 % of notes which not ethical. no other builder ask for extra 5% of cancelled contract.

Cancelled contract - now Toll wants the Note
Rich Penner

La Crosse, WI

#17 Dec 27, 2006
Tom, I have a question about Toll and live in Charlotte and would appreciate a call at my office. I work for Trane on South Tryon. Thanks Rich
Tom Reems wrote:
It appears the scam that Toll Brothers has been using to boost there perseved profits will finally strat to fall in aroud them. I have worked for Toll and it is clear what they are doing. They are a land bank. Toll purchases land, develops the land, and inflates the value of the land for the shareholders. The shareholders look at the assets as a total, never to know the inflated value of the developed lots is based on inhouse apprassials from Toll Brothers. In the Charlotte, NC market, Toll valued vacant lots for $100,000.00. Doesn't sound bad unless you look at the price point for the neighborhood being $300,000 to $400,000. I once talked to an estimator who pointed out, if everything goes right Toll would only loose $10,000.00 per house. To counter this loss, Toll increased their land holdings in Charlotte, inflate the cost of the land, and guess what.... the Charlotte office is profitable. When housing sales fall then Toll will have to scale back their land purchases, and their scam will be exposed. Will Toll be the next Zaring Homes?
Rich Penner

La Crosse, WI

#18 Dec 27, 2006
Tom Reems. I have a question about Toll and live in Charlotte. Could you give me a call at my office 7045259600x1509.
Angie

United States

#19 Dec 28, 2006
Does anyone know anything about Toll Brothers in AZ? We are interested in purchasing a model home in their Aviano developement.
Resident of NJ

Pompton Lakes, NJ

#20 Dec 30, 2006
I am a resident of New Jersey for many decades. Most people think we are really built up here, but we aren't (at least we weren't.) I live in Morris County, NJ. It's quite beutiful with many nice places, but if you want to buy a Toll Brothers home here, DON'T. They are overbuilding here with taxes off the roofs and Toll Brothers has built so many homes, a new school may have to be built. Do us a favor in Morris County when you are looking to purchase one of their homes, please don't. It will do us a lot of good. Many officials are trying to stop them in many areas, but they won't give up. So, please don't buy a Toll Brothers home in Morris County. The only people benefiting are the people who own the company.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Toll Brothers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 3 Homebuilders To Avoid, 1 To Consider Now (Feb '12) Nov 17 heil dalsimer 16
Quality (May '16) May '16 Steeplechase Resi... 1
News Toll Brothers Given BBB- Credit Rating (Apr '15) Apr '15 Mimi 1
Cancelled contract - now Toll wants the Note (Nov '06) Dec '14 Mimi 75
Toll Mortgage Commitment Clause (Jun '11) Dec '14 Mimi 19
News Toll Brothers Assigned "BBB-" Credit Rating by ... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Mimi 1
News Toll Brothers Ranked 1st Among Home Building Co... (Mar '10) Feb '14 Nothing better to do 16