Marshalls plans $926,000 makeover for new store in Santa Cruz

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Construction crews have begun work on a $926,000 project for discount retailer Marshalls at the former Circuit City store at 1664 Commercial Way.
Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Sep 9, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ray Gwyn Smith

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

It would be nice to know what Marshalls stores sell?(details...details!)
Maybe Council could

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

request local business/contractors collectives could have the information ready to provide truly legal, local manpower. Now that is something that would benefit the community. Yes, there are lots of ways then to delete those using illegals, etc.
Dig Deep

Pacifica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Spending just under a million dollars on remodel of existing facility next to T R Us. This chain of stores operates on OPM. Other peoples money and they will not survive whats coming.
Marshals who cares ?
Great

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Marshalls will survive in a town like this. It's like Ross. They have great deals on clothing, houseware, etc. I am thrilled that they are opening. We need more discount stores where we can buy name brand products for cheap, especially with Mervyn's, Gottshalks and K-Mart leaving the area.
Union

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Maybe.... maybe they are avoiding over paid union workers. Time for union workers to wake up.
Concerned driver

Vallejo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

I've shopped at other Marshalls. It is a discount department store like Ross. However, the difference I notice is that they tend to have more "high end name brands" than Ross ... Ross items seem to orignate at stores like Sears and JC Pennys (and formerly Mervyns) while Marshalls carries things that seem more likely to have originated at Macys or Nordstrom. Of course, this may be my imagination!
I'm looking forward to it personally. We lack clothing store options in Santa Cruz. And, I am just glad they are getting a tenant into that existing building. Too bad they missed out on local labor/contractors though.
DEBORAH WEST

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

WE NEED JOBS HERE I WELCOME MARSHALS HERE AS WE NEED JOBS I HAVE BEEN DOING ADMIN WORK BUT I WILL APPLY TO WORK THERE AS I HAVE BEEN OUT OF WORK FOR A YEAR NOW. I LOVE MARSHALS AND THE FACT I DONT HAVE TO DRIVE OVER THE HILL TO SHOP. OUR MALL HERE IS SOOOO DEAD THANK YOU MARSHALS
DEBORAH WEST

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Welcome marshals to Santa Cruz we need jobs here I have been out of work for a year and I cant wait to apply for a job I am starving to get back to work. No more driving over the hill to shop even better.
a girl in capitola

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

DEBORAH WEST wrote:
WE NEED JOBS HERE I WELCOME MARSHALS HERE AS WE NEED JOBS I HAVE BEEN DOING ADMIN WORK BUT I WILL APPLY TO WORK THERE AS I HAVE BEEN OUT OF WORK FOR A YEAR NOW. I LOVE MARSHALS AND THE FACT I DONT HAVE TO DRIVE OVER THE HILL TO SHOP. OUR MALL HERE IS SOOOO DEAD THANK YOU MARSHALS
Why are you yelling at me?
a girl in capitola

Santa Cruz, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Marshalls is just an overpriced Ross.
New jobs but shop ovrhill

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Need jobs here, but drive over hill to shop.
Repeat 20 times and see if a light comes on!
Soquel Local

Marina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Just wondering how long the county held up Marshall's construction and the eventual jobs by their Draconian permit process? How many jobs never come to the community because it is so hard to build/remodel/open a business? 1,000? 2,000? Remember the shopping center planned for between the freeway and Nob Hill in Capitola? Ten years later and all we have is an ugly dirt lot, run down senior center and some decrepit buildings. Again, how many jobs and taxes for Capitola were lost because the selfish behavior of a few NIMBYs in Capitola?
Good News maybe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

I'm so glad to hear that a Marshall's is coming here! I'm hoping that it will be better managed than the filthy and messy Ross stores. If you manage the store well and keep it orderly, Marshall's managers, you will have my money. If I go in there and find merchandise falling off of hangers, packages opened, clothing soiled (all of this is true at Ross), you will never see me again.
Good News maybe

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Great wrote:
Marshalls will survive in a town like this. It's like Ross. They have great deals on clothing, houseware, etc. I am thrilled that they are opening. We need more discount stores where we can buy name brand products for cheap, especially with Mervyn's, Gottshalks and K-Mart leaving the area.
I'm sick of the SC area being tagged as bargain-basement-land. We need a good, full-priced store like Nordstrom. Marshalls has its place, and even Nordstrom Rack has its place. But we need a bit of dignity, too.
Billy Bones

Felton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Concerned driver wrote:
I've shopped at other Marshalls. It is a discount department store like Ross. However, the difference I notice is that they tend to have more "high end name brands" than Ross ... Ross items seem to orignate at stores like Sears and JC Pennys (and formerly Mervyns) while Marshalls carries things that seem more likely to have originated at Macys or Nordstrom. Of course, this may be my imagination!
I'm looking forward to it personally. We lack clothing store options in Santa Cruz. And, I am just glad they are getting a tenant into that existing building. Too bad they missed out on local labor/contractors though.
We need more clothing store options?

Just look at the way most folks in Santa Cruz dress & that should tell you all you need to know about how little people here care about their appearances.

Weed is far more important here.

It's cool in Santa Cruz to traipse around in blown out Guatemalan gypsy rags or surf duds.

Manhattan, Barcelona it ain't!
Lowest Prices Always

Felton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Remember when America used to be run by Mom & Pop stores that met the needs of the market?

They were able to work hard & create a sustainable middle class lifestyle, raise a family & buy a house. They were the backbone of U.S. society & no company or outfit was any more important than any other.

Later, as America lost its moral compass, the "too big to fails" took over Congress with lobbyists, and they received special treatment & bigger tax breaks, especially when they off-shored millions of U.S. jobs all for the sake of the bottom line.

There's a positive feedback loop in concentrating wealth & political power; the more money one acquires, the more political power they can purchase, which enables the accumulation of even more wealth as the state/financial elites shower each other with benefits.

Now we're left with a two-tiered society: the have's & the have nots.

Today, Mom & Pop work at Wal-Mart, with zero health insurance, are paid a butt low wage stocking shelves at 2 am & live in Section 8 Housing. They're incomes are in fact so low that they qualify for ultra low income health care all paid for not by Wal-Mart but by the tax payers themselves. Pretty sweet deal.

Just imagine, making my last point, is if people were offered a living wage, maybe they wouldn't need to buy garbage that will only last one year made in China at big box stores.

I say reinvest in your community, those are the people who are your neighbors, not the "too big to fails" who are depending on you to purchase their cheap crap so they can send their kids on safaris every summer to Kenya.

Most people don't care about quality, this is why they stuff their faces with vast quantities of corporate garbage "food", can't get out of their Lazy Boy loungers to save their lives let alone make it 100 yards down the street w/out going into cardiac arrest, & have their eyes glued to American Idol or Jersey Shore for hours on end.
Big Hecock

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Does anyone know exactly what that smell in Goodwill is?
Grumpy1

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Billy Bones wrote:
<quoted text>
We need more clothing store options?
Just look at the way most folks in Santa Cruz dress & that should tell you all you need to know about how little people here care about their appearances.
Weed is far more important here.
It's cool in Santa Cruz to traipse around in blown out Guatemalan gypsy rags or surf duds.
Manhattan, Barcelona it ain't!

I couldn't agree more.Maybe Marshalls is a bit TOO high end for S.C.?
Grumpy1

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Judged:

Lowest Prices Always wrote:
Remember when America used to be run by Mom & Pop stores that met the needs of the market?
They were able to work hard & create a sustainable middle class lifestyle, raise a family & buy a house. They were the backbone of U.S. society & no company or outfit was any more important than any other.
Later, as America lost its moral compass, the "too big to fails" took over Congress with lobbyists, and they received special treatment & bigger tax breaks, especially when they off-shored millions of U.S. jobs all for the sake of the bottom line.
There's a positive feedback loop in concentrating wealth & political power; the more money one acquires, the more political power they can purchase, which enables the accumulation of even more wealth as the state/financial elites shower each other with benefits.
Today, Mom & Pop work at Wal-Mart, with zero health insurance, are paid a butt low wage stocking shelves at 2 am & live in Section 8 Housing. They're incomes are in fact so low that they qualify for ultra low income health care all paid for not by Wal-Mart but by the tax payers themselves. Pretty sweet deal.
Just imagine, making my last point, is if people were offered a living wage, maybe they wouldn't need to buy garbage that will only last one year made in China at big box stores.
I say reinvest in your community, those are the people who are your neighbors, not the "too big to fails" who are depending on you to purchase their cheap crap so they can send their kids on safaris every summer to Kenya.
Most people don't care about quality, this is why they stuff their faces with vast quantities of corporate garbage "food", can't get out of their Lazy Boy loungers to save their lives let alone make it 100 yards down the street w/out going into cardiac arrest, & have their eyes glued to American Idol or Jersey Shore for hours on end.
You're dreaming of an America that never was.I hate the big box stores and crappy chains as much as anybody but the fact is:the American standard of living has improved.I had relatives who owned those cute lil mom and pop stores.They were a lousy way to make a living.
roughrider

Scotts Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2010

Lowest Prices Always wrote:
That's pretty funny, any neighbors owning clothing stores here are found on Pacific Ave., who can afford to buy their clothing in these stores on Santa Cruz wages. That's a rhetorical question.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent TJX Companies Discussions

Search the TJX Companies Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Dawn Lepore joins TJX board (Nov '13) Nov '13 Pete 1
tjx background check (Aug '13) Aug '13 anynonmous 1
9 retailers with the worst customer service (Mar '13) Mar '13 Diane 5
9 Retailers With Worst Customer Service (Mar '13) Mar '13 Diane 4
Nine retailers with the worst customer service (Mar '13) Mar '13 Diane 48
Walmart wins with a back-to-basics approach (Feb '12) Feb '12 TarGut 3
Time to Marshall your shopping bags (Sep '11) Sep '11 HBC 1
•••
•••