WaPo to the Less-Educated: Drop Dead: The Washington Posta s editorial . . .
There are 2 comments on the National Review Online story from Feb 7, 2012, titled WaPo to the Less-Educated: Drop Dead: The Washington Posta s editorial . . .. In it, National Review Online reports that:The Washington Post 's editorial writers ought to read their own newspaper. Monday's lead editorial bemoaned the fact that having illegal aliens go to the "back of the line" is deceptive since there is no "line" for them: Granted, Mr.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Review Online.
“Assimilate & Speak English!”
Since: Jan 07
Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL
#1 Feb 7, 2012
Jobs Americans Wonít Do? A Detailed Look At Immigrant Employment By Occupation
This analysis tests the often-made argument that immigrants only do jobs Americans donít want. If the argument is correct, there should be occupations comprised entirely or almost entirely of immigrants. But Census Bureau data collected from 2005 to 2007, which allow for very detailed analysis, show that even before the recession there were only a tiny number of majority-immigrant occupations.
Among the findings:
* Of the 465 civilian occupations, only four are majority immigrant. These four occupations account for less than 1 percent of the total U.S. workforce. Moreover, native-born Americans comprise 47 percent of workers in these occupations.
* Many jobs often thought to be overwhelmingly immigrant are in fact majority native-born:
o Maids and housekeepers: 55 percent native-born
o Taxi drivers and chauffeurs: 58 percent native-born
o Butchers and meat processors: 63 percent native-born
o Grounds maintenance workers: 65 percent native-born
o Construction laborers: 65 percent native-born
o Porters, bellhops, and concierges: 71 percent native-born
o Janitors: 75 percent native-born
* There are 93 occupations in which 20 percent or more of workers are immigrants. These high-immigrant occupations are primarily, but not exclusively, lower-wage jobs that require relatively little formal education.
* There are 23.6 million natives in these high-immigrant occupations (20 percent or more immigrant). These occupations include 19 percent of all native workers.
* Most natives do not face significant job competition from immigrants; however, those who do tend to be less-educated and poorer than those who face relatively little competition from immigrants.
* In high-immigrant occupations, 57 percent of natives have no more than a high school education. In occupations that are less than 20 percent immigrant, 35 percent of natives have no more than a high school education. And in occupations that are less than 10 percent immigrant, only 26 percent of natives have no more than a high school education.
* In high-immigrant occupations the average wages and salary for natives is one-fourth lower than in occupations that are less than 20 percent immigrant.
* Some may believe that natives in high-immigrant occupations are older and that few young natives are willing to do that kind of work. But 33 percent of natives in these occupations are age 30 or younger. In occupations that are less than 20 percent immigrant, 28 percent of natives are 30 or younger.
* It is worth remembering that not all high-immigrant occupations are lower-skilled and lower-wage. For example, 44 percent of medical scientists are immigrants, as are 34 percent of software engineers, 27 percent of physicians, and 25 percent of chemists.
* It is also worth noting that a number of politically important groups tend to face very little job competition from immigrants. For example, just 10 percent of reporters are immigrants, as are only 6 percent of lawyers and judges and 3 percent of farmers and ranchers.
Saint Louis, MO
#2 Feb 7, 2012
There's a line called the U.S. border and the other side is where the line starts.
Add your comments below
|Christian researcher warns rapture will begin S...||10 hr||wichita-rick||8|
|Business Leaders of Color Stand Up For Immigran...||Sep 17||Wildchild||1|
|Trumpa s DACA deal with Democrats is already a ...||Sep 14||Retribution||2|
|'You're Fired' may be harder than Trump thinks ...||Sep 13||Uncle SamLee||7|
|COMMENTARY The Democrats are responsible for Tr...||Sep 10||TerriB1||1|
|The Daily 202: Leading moderate announces retir...||Sep 9||Rubio s Foam Partays||5|
|2017 is on pace for the second-lowest crime rat...||Sep 7||Retribution||11|
Find what you want!
Search The Washington Post Company Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC