Obama's Minimum-Wage Gamble

There are 3 comments on the www.theatlantic.com story from Feb 14, 2013, titled Obama's Minimum-Wage Gamble. In it, www.theatlantic.com reports that:

In 2008, the Obama-Biden transition effort promised, as part of the new president's poverty agenda, that "Obama will ... raise the minimum wage to $9.50 an hour by 2011" and "index it to inflation." That didn't happen, and when Obama in his 2013 State of the Union address once again brought up the question of raising the minimum wage -- though to a slightly lower amount -- it took some members of his party by surprise. A minimum-wage hike is a perennial progressive Democratic favorite, but it wasn't on the radar to emerge as a top priority for the president and his party in the year ahead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.theatlantic.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#22 Feb 16, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words more illegal immigration!
I see that Washington likes to use graphs and charts with numbers that are usually manipulated to make their point. In reality what I see and hear is more layoffs and closing companies mostly moving to China. I see friends and neighbor's living off of what ever they can to survive because their unemployment has run it course and they can not find nothing to work at still. Does the unemployment numbers show these people or are they just not counted anymore. It's about time Washington started looking at the
whole picture not just what they want to see with graphs and charts.
Study recent illegal infiltration statistics. You will be pleased.

The companies moving to China is due to ther Bush era tax cuts for offshoring, still preserved by the GOP Congress.

The unemployment rate is different from the total of unemployed.
Martin luther Queen

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#23 Feb 16, 2013
RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not know Asians were noted for their landscape work in NY. But, progressively speaking, increasing minimum wage for illegals will surely slow down illegal immigration AND increase business for guys like Landscaper. A truly progressive solution. You and your progressive leaders have complete control, show us the way.
Rustea! no Asia town in NY butta Russian inda Brooklink UN!!;-00h, do U know how far from Moscow---------Perking!!;-00

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

#24 Feb 21, 2013
"zombie economics"

Numerous studies have shown that when the real minimum wage is pushed above the prevailing market wage for unskilled workers, jobs are lost and others never created. The government can promise a higher wage rate, but if a worker loses her job, her income (hourly wage x hours worked) will be zero.

President Obama is practicing zombie economics when he ignores the law of demand and promises to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $9, so that “no one who works full-time should have to live in poverty.” He believes that “this single step would raise the incomes of millions of working families.” If so, why not increase the federal minimum to $100 an hour and abolish poverty?

James Dorn - Cato Institute

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Washington Post Company Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News And the Most Racist Place in America Is ... Clo... 4 hr Go Blue Forever 27
News Political barbs, celebrity-gazing main course a... Apr 25 Novus Ordo Seclorum 3
News 1Senate reaches deal to vote on confirmation of... Apr 24 ramesh 42
News Hungary Joins Poland In Condemnation Of FBI Chi... Apr 23 50pct-Polski 3
News Israel cana t count on the West Apr 21 tom wingo 2
News Network Silence: Obama Ally, Gay Activist Arres... Apr 9 Nopervs 1
News Rand Paul's 2016 Team Includes Deep DC, Persona... Apr 7 USA Today 1
More from around the web