Book: Petraeus almost quit over Afgha...

Book: Petraeus almost quit over Afghan drawdown

There are 63 comments on the The Kansas City Star story from Dec 29, 2011, titled Book: Petraeus almost quit over Afghan drawdown. In it, The Kansas City Star reports that:

Four-star general-turned-CIA director David Petraeus almost resigned as Afghanistan war commander over President Barack Obama's decision to quickly draw down surge forces, according to a new insider's look at Petraeus' 37-year Army career.Petraeus decided that resigning would be a "selfish, grandstanding move with huge political ramifications" and ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Kansas City Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Make America Great Again”

Since: Jun 07

Bring Obama Back!

#1 Dec 29, 2011
That would have been a very stupid and selfish move; I am glad that he decided (correctly) to salute, follow orders and carry on.
think about it

Carol Stream, IL

#2 Dec 29, 2011
Stupid and selfish is what Obama did (& does)Patty cakes!
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#3 Dec 29, 2011
He lives by a different code ...Not the LOONY INSANITY!..the rhetoric of LEFT WING LOONS!........for him ,its "DUTY ,HONOR ,COUNTRY"..a concept all crackpot AH loons will never grasp.NOT A POLITICAL WHORE!...Commanders in Chiefs come and go..like NUMBNUTS SOON.

And through all this welter of change and development, their mission remains fixed, determined, inviolable: it is to win our wars.

However LOONY WACK JOB LEADERS From behind.have to be endured...But with the knowledge they will be gone soon!...With their Money ill begotten,their egos,and their place in history..Not always noble!

for the Military its always DUTY,HONOR,COUNTRY!!
The Long Grey line has never failed us yet...Even with an INCOMPETENT like OBAMA....!

"Let civilian voices argue the merits or demerits of our processes of government; whether our strength is being sapped by deficit financing, indulged in too long, by federal paternalism grown too mighty, by power groups grown too arrogant, by politics grown too corrupt, by crime grown too rampant, by morals grown too low, by taxes grown too high, by extremists grown too violent; whether our personal liberties are as thorough and complete as they should be. These great national problems are not for your professional participation or military solution. Your guidepost stands out like a ten-fold beacon in the night: Duty, Honor, Country."
Gravediggers

United States

#4 Dec 29, 2011
Politics should not enter soldiering. Unfortunately, too many generals are now politicians instead soldiers.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#5 Dec 29, 2011
SHOCK POLL: ROMNEY 45% OBAMA 39%

THE LOONY NIGHTMARE MAY BE OVER SOON!!

Then it will be GOD BLESS AMERICA,and not HUSSIENS GOD DAM AMERICA!!

Since: Dec 07

Murchison, TX

#6 Dec 29, 2011
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
That would have been a very stupid and selfish move; I am glad that he decided (correctly) to salute, follow orders and carry on.
You're just glad he didn't resign and run against nobama. We'd have had our candidate picked by now and nobama would be returning to chicago, hawaii or where ever he's from in one year.

“Freedom Demands Responsibility”

Since: Aug 09

21st Century

#7 Dec 29, 2011
Woof, The timing of this news story is very interesting. David Petraeus is to many a very real candidate for President. The only question is why he did not question the idiocy emerging from the Oval Office. This shows he did, but as a true soldier placed honor above self.

Romney is out of the mold of Dole and McCain. The others are like the Seven Dwarfs. There is still time for David Petraeus to answer the call of his Country. He knows he is needed. I believe this is the first shot.
Sons of Liberty

United States

#8 Dec 29, 2011
We have not even had a celebration for our returning soldiers and Iraq is already escalating into violence! The lives of our solders and what we have done in Iraq for nothing as Petraeus outlined all for obama's campaign!!
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#9 Dec 29, 2011
Sons of Liberty wrote:
We have not even had a celebration for our returning soldiers and Iraq is already escalating into violence! The lives of our solders and what we have done in Iraq for nothing as Petraeus outlined all for obama's campaign!!
ITS NOT OVER TILL ITS OVER!...Only The dead Have Seen The End Of War!
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#10 Dec 29, 2011
The war in Afghanistan isn't much of a war, but
it's all that's going right now and the generals hate to see it end. But don't worry, if the Repubs
get back into the White House we'll be in another
costly shooting war in no time.

“Your Own Peace Prize Inside”

Since: Mar 07

Hyannis, Mass

#11 Dec 29, 2011
He's right - Obama is nothing but a "sound-bite" president.
Everything is done to put him in a positive light and on TV.

He has no idea of the long term consequences of his military dicisions... Except that, he'll be out of office when the crap hits the fan.

Since: Dec 07

Murchison, TX

#12 Dec 29, 2011
Gary wrote:
The war in Afghanistan isn't much of a war, but
it's all that's going right now and the generals hate to see it end. But don't worry, if the Repubs
get back into the White House we'll be in another
costly shooting war in no time.
Well isn't that strange. Our costliest wars were all started when a dem was President.

WWI
WWII
Korea
Vietnam

Carter and Clinton letting our enemies getting away with anything they wanted.

Maybe it's the republicans preventing the more costly wars, jughead.

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#13 Dec 29, 2011
FreeDog wrote:
Woof, The timing of this news story is very interesting. David Petraeus is to many a very real candidate for President. The only question is why he did not question the idiocy emerging from the Oval Office. This shows he did, but as a true soldier placed honor above self.
Romney is out of the mold of Dole and McCain. The others are like the Seven Dwarfs. There is still time for David Petraeus to answer the call of his Country. He knows he is needed. I believe this is the first shot.
The call of his country??? more like the call of inept conservatives who want anybody but Romney, and of those who hate Obama.

Not too many pine for a President Petraeus, most notably Petraeus himself. Mitt will be your nominee; good luck with that.

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#14 Dec 29, 2011
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
Well isn't that strange. Our costliest wars were all started when a dem was President.
WWI
WWII
Korea
Vietnam
Carter and Clinton letting our enemies getting away with anything they wanted.
Maybe it's the republicans preventing the more costly wars, jughead.
Why not say our costliest wars were all started when a white male was President?

Unless you demonstrate how Democrats caused those wars, it may be your most stupid post ever. And that's quite an accomplishment for you...

“Freedom Demands Responsibility”

Since: Aug 09

21st Century

#15 Dec 29, 2011
PooPoo Platter wrote:
<quoted text>
The call of his country??? more like the call of inept conservatives who want anybody but Romney, and of those who hate Obama.
Not too many pine for a President Petraeus, most notably Petraeus himself. Mitt will be your nominee; good luck with that.
Woof, Crap Plate, Democrats are doing everything they can think of to convince Country Club Republicans that Romney has them terrified. Only the Establishment Republicans would be stupid enough to believe this. Unfortunately we have a two party system and it has morphed into one lead by led by Leftists with absolutely no Ethics, and the other controlled by Eastern Moderates with absolutely no Courage. Do not doubt there is a battle engaged for control of the later party. Conservatives will oust the Establishment Republicans from control. The only question is if they can do this and win the Presidency at the same time.

There are no really good Conservative leaders currently in the running. If David Petraeus engages, Obama is through. Romney is a sacraficial lamb.

Since: Dec 07

Murchison, TX

#16 Dec 29, 2011
PooPoo Platter wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not say our costliest wars were all started when a white male was President?
Unless you demonstrate how Democrats caused those wars, it may be your most stupid post ever. And that's quite an accomplishment for you...
Apparently, your knowledge of history is idiotic. Those dem presidents sat on their asses and allowed the conflicts to esclalate to a point where it was nearly too late, espeically FDR.

Ignoring the facts isn't going to change them, dumbass.

White male president? LMAO

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#17 Dec 29, 2011
Bluebonnets-Thistle wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, your knowledge of history is idiotic. Those dem presidents sat on their asses and allowed the conflicts to esclalate to a point where it was nearly too late, espeically FDR.
Ignoring the facts isn't going to change them, dumbass.
White male president? LMAO
Among your many problems, you cannot distinguish between knowledge and your empty, ignorant assertions. So far, you failed to make the connection between Democratic Presidents and wars.

Present the facts you say I'm ignoring. Let's hope nobody holds their breath waiting on you to pull it off...

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#18 Dec 29, 2011
FreeDog wrote:
<quoted text>
Woof, Crap Plate, Democrats are doing everything they can think of to convince Country Club Republicans that Romney has them terrified. Only the Establishment Republicans would be stupid enough to believe this. Unfortunately we have a two party system and it has morphed into one lead by led by Leftists with absolutely no Ethics, and the other controlled by Eastern Moderates with absolutely no Courage. Do not doubt there is a battle engaged for control of the later party. Conservatives will oust the Establishment Republicans from control. The only question is if they can do this and win the Presidency at the same time.
There are no really good Conservative leaders currently in the running. If David Petraeus engages, Obama is through. Romney is a sacraficial lamb.
I'll agree there is a battle for control of the GOP. Though the tea party darlings cannot match the moderates for fund raising. While you guys are having tea parties, corporate types, the Koch's, et al will be chomping cigars and laughing at you.

And there is a question if the far right conservatives can win control & win the Presidency, though that's a very easy question. If the GOP becomes the party of Bachmann, Sanatorium, Perry, or Ron Paul, it won't be worth much because independent voters won't accept it.

“Freedom Demands Responsibility”

Since: Aug 09

21st Century

#19 Dec 29, 2011
PooPoo Platter wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll agree there is a battle for control of the GOP. Though the tea party darlings cannot match the moderates for fund raising. While you guys are having tea parties, corporate types, the Koch's, et al will be chomping cigars and laughing at you.
And there is a question if the far right conservatives can win control & win the Presidency, though that's a very easy question. If the GOP becomes the party of Bachmann, Sanatorium, Perry, or Ron Paul, it won't be worth much because independent voters won't accept it.
Woof, Crap Plate, although many concepts make up the political spectrum, let's assume we can spread the voting populace over a "Normal Curve" from Left to Right. Currently, the Power base dominating the Democrat Party displays the concepts one would find close to the line between the second and the third standard deviations to the LEFT. The Republican Party is controlled by concepts and actions eminating from the middle of the first standard deviation to the right. True Conservatives, including most TEA Party sympathizers occupy the second standard deviation to the right. Libertarians, including Ron Paul, are in the third standard deviation to the right.

If you understand statistics, you know that the majority of cohorts occupy the middle standard deviations. The battle on the right is to pull the middle toward the right fiscally. Most True Conservatives while holding social values do not want to fall on those swords, including abortion, gay rights, etc.

As for the left, the Middle has been usurpt by the second generation. They have lost control fiscally, because all their concerns fall to every minor desperate group's special demands.

The entire "Mean" of concepts will move rightward fiscally, but not to the hard right socially.

“Freedom Demands Responsibility”

Since: Aug 09

21st Century

#20 Dec 29, 2011
Woof, Crap Plate, Correction, Third paragraph, "As for the left, the Middle has been usurpt by the second (standard deviation)..."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Washington Post Company Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News White House rebuts Washington Post report of Tr... 5 hr democrat punisher 914
News Just don't call it 'climate change': How the go... 19 hr USA Today 1
News If FBI wants to talk to Jared Kushner about Rus... Sun spud 3
News Rep. Maxine Waters takes impeachment campaign t... May 26 slick willie expl... 21
News Republicans can pretend all they want. Health-c... May 26 RiccardoFire 41
News Watching the downfall of a generation of Washin... May 21 Putins Glock Holster 7
News Some claim Clarke unqualified Friday, May 19 May 19 USA Today 1
More from around the web