Insider account of Petraeusa rise and...

Insider account of Petraeusa rise and how he nearly stepped down over Obamaa s Afghan drawdown

There are 17 comments on the Penticton Herald story from Dec 29, 2011, titled Insider account of Petraeusa rise and how he nearly stepped down over Obamaa s Afghan drawdown. In it, Penticton Herald reports that:

Four-star general-turned-CIA director David Petraeus almost resigned as Afghanistan war commander over President Barack Obama's decision to quickly draw down surge forces, according to a new insider's look at Petraeus' 37-year Army career.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Penticton Herald.

Don Joe

Maple Grove, MN

#1 Dec 29, 2011
I suppose he has to try to defend his complete lack of integrity and his constant failures. It might be interesting to see how he twists and turns all the facts of his life.

“"Beau-Se'ant”

Since: Jan 09

Manchester

#2 Dec 29, 2011
He should have stepped down. Imagine having to take your orders from a community organizer who has failed the US on so many fronts?

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#3 Dec 29, 2011
Career officers know how the dems feel about them, and I'm sure it takes a lot of effort for a career soldier to take orders from, and play along with the typical dem, like obama and Clinton, two guys who couldn't hit the water if they fell out of a boat.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#4 Dec 29, 2011
He lives by a different code ...Not the LOONY INSANITY!..the rhetoric of LEFT WING LOONS!........for him ,its "DUTY ,HONOR ,COUNTRY"..a concept all crackpot AH loons will never grasp.NOT A POLITICAL WHORE!...Commanders in Chiefs come and go..like NUMBNUTS SOON.

And through all this welter of change and development, their mission remains fixed, determined, inviolable: it is to win our wars.

However LOONY WACK JOB LEADERS From behind.have to be endured...But with the knowledge they will be gone soon!...With their Money ill begotten,their egos,and their place in history..Not always noble!

for the Military its always DUTY,HONOR,COUNTRY!!
The Long Grey line has never failed us yet...Even with an INCOMPETENT like OBAMA....!
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#5 Dec 29, 2011
SHOCK POLL: ROMNEY 45% OBAMA 39%

THE LOONY NIGHTMARE MAY BE OVER SOON!!

The latest national telephone survey finds that 45% of Likely U.S. Voters favor the former Massachusetts governor, while 39% prefer the president. Ten percent (10%) like some other candidate in the race, and six percent (6%) are undecided.

Then it will be GOD BLESS AMERICA,and not HUSSIENS GOD DAM AMERICA!!
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#6 Dec 29, 2011
From the article:

"Director Petraeus has publicly stated that he never contemplated resignation," CIA spokeswoman Jennifer Youngblood said Thursday."

Slow news day, huh?
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#7 Dec 29, 2011
The Last Templar wrote:
He should have stepped down. Imagine having to take your orders from a community organizer who has failed the US on so many fronts?
"fronts" like....

Killing Bin Laden?
Ousting Ghaddaffi?
Ending the Iraq War)
Passing the START treaty?
Getting the toughest sanctions ever on Iran?

Yeah, I think Romney should make this election a referendum on Obama's foreign policy.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#8 Dec 29, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
"fronts" like....
Killing Bin Laden?
Ousting Ghaddaffi?
Ending the Iraq War)
Passing the START treaty?
Getting the toughest sanctions ever on Iran?
Yeah, I think Romney should make this election a referendum on Obama's foreign policy.
CLAP TRAP LOONY PROPAGANDA.....Its the JOBS STUPID....JOBS,JOBS JOBS...no one gives a crap about your list...IT DOES NOT PUT A BUCK in yer POCKET....No JOBS HERE?...just HUSSIEN KOOLAID for LOONS!!

OBAMA a WAR president??? GIVE REALITY A BRAKE....This INCOMPETENCE had the likes of Gen. Petraeus ,and the BUSH WAR COUNCIL INTACT.,along with GITMO..Hello! GITMO???..WAKE UP! Stop Playing with yer self..IRAN?? OBAMA is Playing Golf...and they are blocking the Strait of Hormuz,TODAY!!.GET REAL LOON!

Unemployment rate in Illinois 11.5 percent..Higher than the national average...Mabey GADDAFI,gone, will help you.get a job!.LOONY NITWIT!

ITS THE JOBS ,JOBS,JOBS,STUPID!!..Whats in yer Wallet!!
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#9 Dec 29, 2011
CHECK SIX wrote:
<quoted text>
CLAP TRAP LOONY PROPAGANDA.....Its the JOBS STUPID....JOBS,JOBS JOBS...no one gives a crap about your list...IT DOES NOT PUT A BUCK in yer POCKET....No JOBS HERE?...just HUSSIEN KOOLAID for LOONS!!
OBAMA a WAR president??? GIVE REALITY A BRAKE....This INCOMPETENCE had the likes of Gen. Petraeus ,and the BUSH WAR COUNCIL INTACT.,along with GITMO..Hello! GITMO???..WAKE UP! Stop Playing with yer self..IRAN?? OBAMA is Playing Golf...and they are blocking the Strait of Hormuz,TODAY!!.GET REAL LOON!
Unemployment rate in Illinois 11.5 percent..Higher than the national average...Mabey GADDAFI,gone, will help you.get a job!.LOONY NITWIT!
ITS THE JOBS ,JOBS,JOBS,STUPID!!..Whats in yer Wallet!!
"The unemployment rate fell by 0.4 percentage point to 8.6 percent in November, and
nonfarm payroll employment rose by 120,000, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
reported today. Employment continued to trend up in retail trade, leisure and
hospitality, professional and business services, and health care. Government
employment continued to trend down."

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.ht...
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#10 Dec 29, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
"The unemployment rate fell by 0.4 percentage point to 8.6 percent in November, and
nonfarm payroll employment rose by 120,000, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
reported today. Employment continued to trend up in retail trade, leisure and
hospitality, professional and business services, and health care. Government
employment continued to trend down."
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.ht...
WOW! What an accomplishment by OBAMA....GREAT!..CHANGE YA CAN BELIEVE IN!....He will have to run on that!...Tell this to the UNEMPLOYED,HOMES UNDER WATER,US LOUSY CREDIT RATING,HUGE National Debt..and TODAY he raises it by two TRILLION!...what a DAM LYING HYPOCRITE!.....In his 2008 speech s calling BUSH UN PATRIOTIC for increasing the debt...BUSHS CREDIT CARD WITH THE CHINKS.he ranted!....Meanwhile this lying WEASEL TRIPLED spending in just three years...RUN ON THAT!

ITS JOBS JOBS JOBS,and the ECONOMY STUPID....no amount of Campaigner BS will change that!!....Only Political Junkies .can think a dead GADDAFI will create JOBS....Reality is CAR PAYMENTS HIGH COST OF LIVING HIGH ENERGY..and the Destruction of the middle class...Ben Ladin??? WHO GIVES A CRAP??.a Fleeting Mini sec on the UNEMPLOYMENT LINE!!

Obama will NOT be reelected...HONESTLY that is...With ACORN out of the picture,as far as we know,and Donald Duck,and Mickey Mouse not Voting ....HOSTER LA VISTER HOMBRE HUSSIEN!

ALLAH WILLS IT!!

“"Beau-Se'ant”

Since: Jan 09

Manchester

#11 Dec 29, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
"fronts" like....
Killing Bin Laden?
Ousting Ghaddaffi?
Ending the Iraq War)
Passing the START treaty?
Getting the toughest sanctions ever on Iran?
Yeah, I think Romney should make this election a referendum on Obama's foreign policy.
1. Any American, man, woman, or child, would have given the order to off Bin Laden. Thanks to Bush intelligence, he was given the opportunity.
2. Ghaddaffi ( Qaddaffi ) was declared by our own Secretary of Defense, Gates, as neither a security threat nor a strategic interest of the United States. Now the flag of Al Qaeda is flying over Tripoli.
3. Ending the Iraq war, via abject failed diplomacy by Obama, and yielding to political concerns of his far-left whacko base, pulling troops way too soon. Now we have the Sunni's whacking the Shiites again, and more IED and car-bombings in the last week than in the previous two years.
4. START treaty was a complete win for the Russians, and a complete loss of any strategic gains we ever made in the European theater. Virtually every expert on foreign strategic initiative has declared it an enormous step backward and complete capitulation.
5. Tougher sanctions on Iran? Are you kidding? Nuclear proliferation CONTINUES TO THRIVE in Iran, and they have recently, brazenly, threatened to close the Straits of Hormuz, and have bragged about having complete control of the Gulf of Oman.

This is the weakest foreign policy and the worst failure of diplomatic benefit to the US and it's allies in history.
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#12 Dec 29, 2011
The Last Templar wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Any American, man, woman, or child, would have given the order to off Bin Laden. Thanks to Bush intelligence, he was given the opportunity.
2. Ghaddaffi ( Qaddaffi ) was declared by our own Secretary of Defense, Gates, as neither a security threat nor a strategic interest of the United States. Now the flag of Al Qaeda is flying over Tripoli.
3. Ending the Iraq war, via abject failed diplomacy by Obama, and yielding to political concerns of his far-left whacko base, pulling troops way too soon. Now we have the Sunni's whacking the Shiites again, and more IED and car-bombings in the last week than in the previous two years.
4. START treaty was a complete win for the Russians, and a complete loss of any strategic gains we ever made in the European theater. Virtually every expert on foreign strategic initiative has declared it an enormous step backward and complete capitulation.
5. Tougher sanctions on Iran? Are you kidding? Nuclear proliferation CONTINUES TO THRIVE in Iran, and they have recently, brazenly, threatened to close the Straits of Hormuz, and have bragged about having complete control of the Gulf of Oman.
This is the weakest foreign policy and the worst failure of diplomatic benefit to the US and it's allies in history.
1) total bullshit.
2) bullshit.
3) If our goal in Iraq was a sovereign nation, WHY would we refuse to leave when they asked us to? On what legal grounds could we continue our presence, when told to go? More importantly, it was obvious since the day Hussein fell that our ultimate departure would result in partisan attacks, and probably civil war. Whether we stayed 10 years or a hundred, that would be the case.
4) bullshit.
5) and WHY is Iran rattling the saber now? Because the sanctions are impacting them. For the first time EVER we have Russia and China participating in real sanctions against Iran... all thanks to Obama and Secretary Clinton.

I don't doubt you view Obama's as the "weakest foreign policy" ever, because you are a partisan hack of the first order. But I can, and will, call you out on your absurd and false claims.

“"Beau-Se'ant”

Since: Jan 09

Manchester

#13 Dec 29, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
1) total bullshit.
2) bullshit.
3) If our goal in Iraq was a sovereign nation, WHY would we refuse to leave when they asked us to? On what legal grounds could we continue our presence, when told to go? More importantly, it was obvious since the day Hussein fell that our ultimate departure would result in partisan attacks, and probably civil war. Whether we stayed 10 years or a hundred, that would be the case.
4) bullshit.
5) and WHY is Iran rattling the saber now? Because the sanctions are impacting them. For the first time EVER we have Russia and China participating in real sanctions against Iran... all thanks to Obama and Secretary Clinton.
I don't doubt you view Obama's as the "weakest foreign policy" ever, because you are a partisan hack of the first order. But I can, and will, call you out on your absurd and false claims.
Thank you for the typical leftwing radical response. Way to wear your intellect and IQ out on your sleeve, right alongside the mustard and yesterday's mayo.
Chicago Guy

Evanston, IL

#14 Dec 29, 2011
The Last Templar wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the typical leftwing radical response. Way to wear your intellect and IQ out on your sleeve, right alongside the mustard and yesterday's mayo.
I responded to two of your points specifically. The others weren't worthy.

But I notice you attacked me, personally.... but ignored my points.

Typical.
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#16 Dec 29, 2011
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I responded to two of your points specifically. The others weren't worthy.
But I notice you attacked me, personally.... but ignored my points.
Typical.
ya.talk like A LOONY ACORN STREET THUG...CHICAGO STYLE...Always when confronted with facts,logic,History LOONS LIKE YOU with HALF BRAINS JUST CANNOT HELP YOUR SELF.....One thing to disagree civilly..another to be assaulted BY THUGS LIKE YOU.....yer a MAGGOT Fer sure....BUZZ OF Yer a waste of time..BUT ITS TOPIX!..and nobody cares!!

“Here we go!”

Since: Feb 07

Tampa, FL

#17 Dec 30, 2011
You haven't lived on this earth very long have you? If your older than 25 then you've been under a rock.

Iraq was not about making that country a 'sovereign' nation. Sure we want them to govern themselves without killing to many of each other. Hell, for that matter Sadaam kept things pretty tight, til he got to big for his britches.

Iraq was and will remain about the free flow of oil throughout the world. The free flow of oil is of great National Security to the USA, as it should be.

Iran has been rattling her saber since 1979. Russia and China didn't support the latest round of sanctions in the least, but they are caught between a political rock and a hard place. Such are the whims of geopolitics. And the sanctions are pretty toothless, they would have to be to get Russia and China on board...

Regardless of your age, one day you're gonna wake up and wonder what the F*** hit you right between the eyes.
Chicago Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
1) total bullshit.
2) bullshit.
3) If our goal in Iraq was a sovereign nation, WHY would we refuse to leave when they asked us to? On what legal grounds could we continue our presence, when told to go? More importantly, it was obvious since the day Hussein fell that our ultimate departure would result in partisan attacks, and probably civil war. Whether we stayed 10 years or a hundred, that would be the case.
4) bullshit.
5) and WHY is Iran rattling the saber now? Because the sanctions are impacting them. For the first time EVER we have Russia and China participating in real sanctions against Iran... all thanks to Obama and Secretary Clinton.
I don't doubt you view Obama's as the "weakest foreign policy" ever, because you are a partisan hack of the first order. But I can, and will, call you out on your absurd and false claims.
Don Joe

Maple Grove, MN

#18 Dec 30, 2011
The Last Templar wrote:
<quoted text>
...Thanks to Bush intelligence,...
LOL, you can't say that with a straight face. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Washington Post Company Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump rails against press in response to report... Aug 16 Crazy Talk 13
News More evidence of how farther-out communities ar... Aug 15 USA Today 1
News A year after Obama's visit, Ethiopia is in turmoil Aug 9 Anonymous 2
News Boston mayor at Democratic convention: Ia m an ... Jul 26 Le Jimbo 2
News Clinton's VP pick coming, Virginia senator fron... Jul '16 USA Today 1
News Winners and losers from the third night of the ... Jul '16 trump fan 2
News Leaked proposal: US offering Russia military pa... Jul '16 USA Today 1
More from around the web