Rob Reiner to Direct Film on Prop 8 T...

Rob Reiner to Direct Film on Prop 8 Trial

There are 18 comments on the EDGE story from Nov 8, 2011, titled Rob Reiner to Direct Film on Prop 8 Trial. In it, EDGE reports that:

Proponents of Proposition 8, the anti-gay California ballot initiative that stripped gay and lesbian families in California of their then-existing right to wed in 2008, were successful in stopping the ensuing federal court case from being broadcast on YouTube and to courthouses around the country via closed-circuit television.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Frank Stanton

Omaha, NE

#1 Nov 8, 2011
oooooh yea, a movie about tax-paying, gay, u.s. citizens. i hope it's funny. the gays should be dead, but they are funny.
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Nov 8, 2011
Frank Stanton wrote:
oooooh yea, a movie about tax-paying, gay, u.s. citizens. i hope it's funny. the gays should be dead, but they are funny.
WTF are you talking about? Thank you Rob Reiner for bringing this to peoples attention

“Married 6/17/08”

Since: Feb 07

Porterville, CA

#3 Nov 8, 2011
Disgusted American wrote:
<quoted text>WTF are you talking about? Thank you Rob Reiner for bringing this to peoples attention
My hope is that the "Religious Reich" will raise as much Hell about it as they did about "Brokeback Mountain" thereby making it a success.

“WOOF !”

Since: Jul 11

Libertarian

#4 Nov 8, 2011
Since we are supposed to have trials open to the public in this country, I don't understand why the judge wouldn't allow the trial to be broadcast.

After all, whe had wall to wal coverage of the O.J. Simpson trials (sic), and the Conrad Murray trial.

So why not Prop 8 ?
Duped no more

Lewes, DE

#6 Nov 8, 2011
Fred ABQ wrote:
Since we are supposed to have trials open to the public in this country, I don't understand why the judge wouldn't allow the trial to be broadcast.
After all, whe had wall to wal coverage of the O.J. Simpson trials (sic), and the Conrad Murray trial.
So why not Prop 8 ?
There's a difference between a trial being open to the public vs. broadcasting a trial. The judge in the case was planning on broadcasting the trial, but the anti-gay groups behind Prop8 went to the Supreme Court, saying that broadcasting would put their poor little witnesses in danger, and the Supreme Court agreed and forbid it from being broadcast.

Then the proponents only managed to scrape up two witnesses, both of whom had been publicly anti-gay all along anyway.

It all boils down to the fact that the anti-gay forces behind Prop8 realize that if the trial is shown, regular people will realize how dumb and how ungrounded all their talk was. As one of the attorneys arguing against Prop8 said, it's one thing to air 30-second TV commercials and print advertisements, but it's another thing altogether to have to stand in a court of law, swear to tell the truth, and be subject to cross examination.

“WOOF !”

Libertarian

#7 Nov 8, 2011
Duped no more wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a difference between a trial being open to the public vs. broadcasting a trial. The judge in the case was planning on broadcasting the trial, but the anti-gay groups behind Prop8 went to the Supreme Court, saying that broadcasting would put their poor little witnesses in danger, and the Supreme Court agreed and forbid it from being broadcast.
Then the proponents only managed to scrape up two witnesses, both of whom had been publicly anti-gay all along anyway.
It all boils down to the fact that the anti-gay forces behind Prop8 realize that if the trial is shown, regular people will realize how dumb and how ungrounded all their talk was. As one of the attorneys arguing against Prop8 said, it's one thing to air 30-second TV commercials and print advertisements, but it's another thing altogether to have to stand in a court of law, swear to tell the truth, and be subject to cross examination.
Well hopefully the recordings of the trial will be released at some point in the NEAR future.

I think a tipping point has been reached, and that our right to marry WILL be recognized by SCOTUS in 5 - 7 years. Even Justice Scalia, a staunch Roman Catholic, conservative, and certainly no friend to gay and lesbian Americans, has pretty much said as much publicly.
Duped no more

Lewes, DE

#8 Nov 8, 2011
Fred ABQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Well hopefully the recordings of the trial will be released at some point in the NEAR future.
I think a tipping point has been reached, and that our right to marry WILL be recognized by SCOTUS in 5 - 7 years. Even Justice Scalia, a staunch Roman Catholic, conservative, and certainly no friend to gay and lesbian Americans, has pretty much said as much publicly.
There are complete transcripts of the trial available online - every last word. I was downloading them from AFER (Amer Foundation for Equal Rights) while the trial was going on, they are probably still there. Be warned, each day's transcript is probably 200 pages long...and for that very reason, not many people are going to try to wade through them.

“WOOF !”

Libertarian

#9 Nov 8, 2011
Duped no more wrote:
<quoted text>
There are complete transcripts of the trial available online - every last word. I was downloading them from AFER (Amer Foundation for Equal Rights) while the trial was going on, they are probably still there. Be warned, each day's transcript is probably 200 pages long...and for that very reason, not many people are going to try to wade through them.
Yeah, I'm aware they're available and aware that they run to hundreds of pages which is why I didn't download them. Call Reader's Digest !
Hi Tech Lipsynching

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Nov 8, 2011
Duped no more wrote:
<quoted text>
There are complete transcripts....
I wonder what sort of poster would actually reply directly to a racist, Lawrooshite pedo, imo, who is assumedly crazier than Michele Bachmann and spews just as much nonsense.

Get a clue, already.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#11 Nov 8, 2011
I'm looking forward to seeing this.
SLIF

Toronto, Canada

#12 Nov 8, 2011
Just join the underground gay railroad and move to Canada.

“WOOF !”

Libertarian

#13 Nov 8, 2011
SLIF wrote:
Just join the underground gay railroad and move to Canada.
"underground gay railrod" ???

speaking of railroads (YOU brought it up), I've been into Ferroequinology for the past 50 years, and this past Saturday I drove 200 miles to see Union Pacific # 844 which is making a tour, in part to celebrate New Mexico's 100th anniversary of joining the union.

Although I have seen static steam locomotives, this is the ONLY time in my life that I have seen an OPERATING steam locomotive moving on the rails. It had a 10 car train with many people on board.

The weather was 40 degrees with 60 mph winds, but it was worth it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_84...

http://nmcentennial.org/events/union-pacific-...

http://www.up.com/aboutup/special_trains/stea...

Location hidden

#14 Nov 9, 2011
Check out the RR museum in Portola, California. 4 types of locomotive engine and miles of track to run them on. Engines and track are rentable for group parties. Competent renters are allowed to engineer with supervision.

“WOOF !”

Libertarian

#15 Nov 9, 2011
snyper wrote:
Check out the RR museum in Portola, California. 4 types of locomotive engine and miles of track to run them on. Engines and track are rentable for group parties. Competent renters are allowed to engineer with supervision.
What's the name of it ? I worked for the New York City Transit Authority, and operated subway trains.(Not steam obviously).

Location hidden

#16 Nov 10, 2011
Fred ABQ wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the name of it ? I worked for the New York City Transit Authority, and operated subway trains.(Not steam obviously).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Pacific_...

“WOOF !”

Libertarian

#17 Nov 10, 2011
snyper wrote:
tks
SLIF

Toronto, Canada

#18 Nov 12, 2011
The Red Shoes(1948),and The Wizard Of Oz(1939),are my favourite movies.Not violent(straight) warmonger,(straight)soap opera sob stories.

“WOOF !”

Libertarian

#19 Nov 12, 2011
My FAV movies of all time are "ALIENS" and "Barry Lyndon".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Hollywood Reporter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bisexual author Roxane Gay has offered to write... Mar '18 Rebbeca 3
News Michael Wolff on His White House - Cloak of inv... Jan '18 Poster Child for ... 2
News How Trump was going to end the Cold War in the ... (Jun '17) Jun '17 arrron7788 2
News Donald Trump says Clinton is a 'fraud,' calls C... (Aug '15) Apr '17 Marlas Div Attorney 11
News James Franco's gay drama 'I Am Michael' gets th... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Newt G s Next Wife 1
News Making Sense of Michael Jackson Estate's Tax Tr... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Amused Octopus 1
News The Weird - Weirder? - Thing About The Ferrell-... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Emerald 3