With Tesla out, what's next for Downe...

With Tesla out, what's next for Downey and Long Beach sites?

There are 18 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from May 27, 2010, titled With Tesla out, what's next for Downey and Long Beach sites?. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Building 290 on the lot of Downey Studios, seen in 2009, once a possible site for Tesla Motors.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#1 May 27, 2010
Well they obviously needed to be in a classier city... Downy? Yuk...
Heidi

Long Beach, CA

#2 May 27, 2010
I am sure the Lady GAGA video.will create thousands of jobs for the city of Downey, better make a strip mall on that site
Concerned American

Bakersfield, CA

#3 May 27, 2010
How about using them as deportation staging centers for all the illegal aliens that live in the areas surrounding both Downey and Long Beach? Funding to cover costs could come from Obama's "stimulus" package. Just think of how many private sector jobs that Americans WILL do would be opened up if we took illegal immigration seriously in California. Now that would be real stimulus.
Kennebreath

Long Beach, CA

#4 May 27, 2010
Concerned American wrote:
How about using them as deportation staging centers for all the illegal aliens that live in the areas surrounding both Downey and Long Beach? Funding to cover costs could come from Obama's "stimulus" package. Just think of how many private sector jobs that Americans WILL do would be opened up if we took illegal immigration seriously in California. Now that would be real stimulus.
It's good you're not getting stuck on one issue and allowing that issue to cloud your thoughts as to questions regarding other challenges facing society. Oh wait, that's exactly what you're doing....my mistake.
Croak

Fort Worth, TX

#5 May 27, 2010
massive indoor swap meets?
Croak

Fort Worth, TX

#6 May 27, 2010
@Concerned

You may be on the right track. Remember the huge detention center building in the movie The Visitor, located somewhere in New York. No reason a couple of those can't be built in LB and Downey.
excellentsuggest ion

Downey, CA

#7 May 27, 2010
I suggest they paint over the "Downey" and paint in "ICE Holding Station." The market for services in that demographic is hot as a chili pepper.
letsdothis

Downey, CA

#8 May 27, 2010
I think I'm thinking what everyone else in Downey is thinking. Disney has made vast improvements in animatronics in the last decade. The building should be converted to facilitate an onslaught of visitors, and rechristened, "The Karen Carpenter Experience & Aquarium."
Sweet Kay

Long Beach, CA

#11 May 31, 2010
Concerned American wrote:
What jobs are you referring to? farming, landscaping, construction, hotel, paralegal, doctor, accountant? Are you looking for a job that an illegal currently has? How do you know if that person is here illegally? Did you report him/her to your manager?
Tom

Long Beach, CA

#12 May 31, 2010
Movie studios? Why chase a declining industry? With labor costs so high in California, an ever increasing share of movies are recorded outside of the state. The owners of these properties need to come up with better ideas or this will be yet another short term fix/long term pipe dream.
honu

Long Beach, CA

#13 May 31, 2010
Rather than chasing a single company, a basket into which to put all the city's eggs, perhaps Long Beach could encourage smaller businesses to move into the area.

The two major problems with having so much invested in the "one" venture to save the city is that, One... the venture will fail and all the capitol the city invested is gone or, Two... the business becomes such a success that it starts calling the shots in it's dealing with the city.

Long Beach should look to diversify it's business tax base so that the failure of one company, doesn't send it into an economic tailspin. Another benefit of a larger, business oriented tax base is that it lessens the dependence on the residential taxpayers.

We've seen what happened when our two largest employers folded up and left town. Smaller businesses are the life blood of the American economy and employ the vast majority of American workers.

...or maybe not.
Kennebreath

Long Beach, CA

#14 Jun 1, 2010
honu wrote:
Rather than chasing a single company, a basket into which to put all the city's eggs, perhaps Long Beach could encourage smaller businesses to move into the area.
The two major problems with having so much invested in the "one" venture to save the city is that, One... the venture will fail and all the capitol the city invested is gone or, Two... the business becomes such a success that it starts calling the shots in it's dealing with the city.
Long Beach should look to diversify it's business tax base so that the failure of one company, doesn't send it into an economic tailspin. Another benefit of a larger, business oriented tax base is that it lessens the dependence on the residential taxpayers.
We've seen what happened when our two largest employers folded up and left town. Smaller businesses are the life blood of the American economy and employ the vast majority of American workers.
...or maybe not.
You raise some very good questions and point out problems that have plagued this city for quite some time. It's refreshing to see a well informed posting on these forums. Nice one.
ctj

AOL

#15 Jun 1, 2010
Boeing is the last big aerospace company left, and it is because of gov't monies, direction and contracts. California became high tech and a great place to live with a massive aerospace economy back in the day, all through gov't contracts and money. Then private companies can come into existence, with cheap credit, to do the specialty and other work in combination and support of the bigger gov't directed projects. The freeways, colleges, hospitals, electical generating plants, water delivery systems, military bases, space technology, etc, all is done this way.

Maybe, the city can get federal monies to get someone to build windmills and solar panels at the old Boeing and Downey sites, since this is a priority of this administration. Then, we can export them cheaply, since we are near to a port, to low industrial countries, oh, and I suppose to ourselves also.
Sarah

AOL

#16 Jun 1, 2010
Downey is not bad place now. People there have been seen doing the "downey shuffle".
Shawn

Garden Grove, CA

#17 Jun 3, 2010
ctj wrote:
Boeing is the last big aerospace company left, and it is because of gov't monies, direction and contracts. California became high tech and a great place to live with a massive aerospace economy back in the day, all through gov't contracts and money. Then private companies can come into existence, with cheap credit, to do the specialty and other work in combination and support of the bigger gov't directed projects. The freeways, colleges, hospitals, electical generating plants, water delivery systems, military bases, space technology, etc, all is done this way.
Maybe, the city can get federal monies to get someone to build windmills and solar panels at the old Boeing and Downey sites, since this is a priority of this administration. Then, we can export them cheaply, since we are near to a port, to low industrial countries, oh, and I suppose to ourselves also.
I got an idea! How about Boeing take up the site and start building another plane there sort of like the C17 Globemaster..... Ooooh wait, I forget... their union workers are currently on strike there and doubt Boeing will want to continue doing business in California after this episode and pack up and leave the state once their last plane rolls out. Unions....Hmmmmm... I wonder if that is one of the things that discouraged Tesla from setting up shop here in Long Beach?
Nate

Long Beach, CA

#18 Jun 25, 2010
ctj wrote:
Do you mean in California or in the US? I'm confused because in the US there are still Northrop Grumman and Ratheon, which are defense companies that compete with Boeing in defense/aerospace and they are relatively large. Although if you are talking about Commercial airplanes well then its really just Boeing, although outside the US there is Airbus. Also most aerospace companies merged at some point there used to be about 15 or so i beleive.
Multipurpose Halls

Long Beach, CA

#19 Jun 26, 2010
Those sites can be easily converted into banquet and reception halls. Quincianeras, wedding receptions, divorce celebrations, family reunions, whatever is needed can be held there. Lots of parking space outside for guests, as well as space for having drunken-rage fights, both the fatal and nonfatal kinds. Those fights need not be limited to the parking area, however, they can also be held inside the main hall, providing that the gunfire is kept at a reasonable level.
Chewbaccapits

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Jul 20, 2010
Nice to know many racist read the Press-Telegram...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tesla Motors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Electric-car battery costs: Tesla $190 per kwh ... Apr 28 Solarman 1
News Can Tesla shock N.W.T. mining to life? Apr 17 Solarman 1
News Tesla fans lining up to preorder $35,000 Model ... Mar '16 Solarman 1
News What Secrets Are Behind Tesla's Model 3? Bloomb... Mar '16 Solarman 1
News Inside the Tesla Gigafactory, Elon Musk's secre... Mar '16 Solarman 1
News Elon Musk Learning Hard Lessons in Energy Stora... Mar '16 Solarman 1
News Even Audi Thinks Tesla Motors Nailed It Strateg... Mar '16 Solarman 1
More from around the web