Challenging the council

Challenging the council

There are 44 comments on the Vallejo Times-Herald story from Feb 9, 2009, titled Challenging the council. In it, Vallejo Times-Herald reports that:

This is a direct challenge to the Vallejo City Council: Tesla Motors can't set up shop in San Jose, because with the economy the way it is, they can't build the building for it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Vallejo Times-Herald.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Vallejo Voter

San Mateo, CA

#1 Feb 9, 2009
I second that direct challenge!! But reality is the council do not have the skills or ability to bring a Wal-Mart into Vallejo. Tesla in Vallejo might as well be another pipe dream for Vallejo.
Spook

Vallejo, CA

#2 Feb 9, 2009
There are three big ticket items on Vallejo's doorstep. Tesla, clean tech/green, and heavy marine industries. There are easily more jobs in these than have been delivered in 13 years on Mare Island. Joblessness is at an all time high. What will it take to go after these aggressively? Timing is everything.
Spook

Vallejo, CA

#3 Feb 9, 2009
Like they say on TV, "But wait, there's more!". Department of Labor reference materials indicate more small business growth opportunities follow big business enterprises into an area. Depending on the type of large business, especially in the manufacturing sector, ancillary business and jobs growth can range from 1:1 to as high as 7:1 additional jobs!
tramky

Vacaville, CA

#4 Feb 9, 2009
Yes, Tesla Motors may be a good thing to bring to Mare Island & Vallejo. The devil is in the details. I will tell you one thing about potential developments like this--money backing up the enterprise had better be there.

There is no lack of people and business with great ideas. But what you discover is that these people often have no money, or too little money, to make their idea into a productive reality.

There IS such a thing as under-capitalization, which related directly to sustainability of a business once it begins operating. If the business does not have enough money to fund itself until it builds up the business and its cash flow, it will quickly fold before really getting started and become just another failed great idea, leaving everyone to wonder "What happened."

Still, Tesla Motors could be great addition to the Vallejo business scene and I would encourage the City, Lennar & everyone else to give it a shot.
Business As Usual

Benicia, CA

#5 Feb 9, 2009
They are right. Too many "new Vallejo" thinkers infest the local politics of "let's be careful" or "this isn't right for our town" whenever industry is mentioned for Mare Island.
If the "new" Vallejo wanted any of this, it would have been here by now. So many revenue opportunities have been disgarded in the name of "image". Yeah, we have one now, that's for sure.
heres your cheese

Daly City, CA

#6 Feb 9, 2009
Business As Usual wrote:
They are right. Too many "new Vallejo" thinkers infest the local politics of "let's be careful" or "this isn't right for our town" whenever industry is mentioned for Mare Island.
If the "new" Vallejo wanted any of this, it would have been here by now. So many revenue opportunities have been disgarded in the name of "image". Yeah, we have one now, that's for sure.
far too much faith is put into touro alone being some sort of salvation for vallejo. very few of the jobs in this cancer center will be suited for the educational demographics of our town, but i suppose they will need janitors like everyone else.
gun metal blue

Vallejo, CA

#7 Feb 9, 2009
now lets see, who runs mare island the council or lennar? right, the council is a rubber stamp and fails to lead follow or get out of the way. they only indebit the taxpayers for things the taxpayer can not vote on or have any say in. oh, right, we can say something but the deaf council can not hear other then the sacred cows that direct their every move. the council is fanous for driving out business and their claim to fame is commiting the city to debits beyond the cities ability to pay. they never have been accused of being able to lead at all. where this city is today is proof of that

Since: Mar 08

Vallejo

#8 Feb 10, 2009
Business As Usual wrote:
Actually, if you're referring to Stephanie Gomes and her supporters, she is quite interested in bringing Tesla to Mare Island.

http://stephaniegomes.com/2009/02/tesla-motor...

So much for the lie that she is "anti-business." That's a myth that is propagated by her political enemies.
did i say that

Daly City, CA

#9 Feb 10, 2009
Vallejo Heights wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, if you're referring to Stephanie Gomes and her supporters, she is quite interested in bringing Tesla to Mare Island.
So much for the lie that she is "anti-business." That's a myth that is propagated by her political enemies.
well, sure, now that she sees it is a popular notion, been on these threads for over 10 days now. finally, something on m.i. she is for besides more "fabulous houses" in a "vibrant community", lol.
still she and schively are putting all their energy into the b.a. sideshow to try and make the other members look bad.
there are more of us, yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
shANUS n traiTARDs ghost

Pleasant Hill, CA

#10 Feb 10, 2009
Imagine that someone that sees that we need to deal with expenditures and revenue. So now our famous slackers think that trying to remove a major cause of expenditures (binding arbitration) is wasted energy. Sounds like you fellows just want the Council to give you want you want. What you want has been the standard of operation in this city for decades at the expense of those of us that live here.
ItsaShow

United States

#11 Feb 10, 2009
did i say that wrote:
<quoted text>well, sure, now that she sees it is a popular notion, been on these threads for over 10 days now. finally, something on m.i. she is for besides more "fabulous houses" in a "vibrant community", lol.
still she and schively are putting all their energy into the b.a. sideshow to try and make the other members look bad.
there are more of us, yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
Maybe she will report tonight that she paid Tesla a personal visit, similar to how she went running over to ALCO to ask them to move so the new Touro neighborhood would not be blighted with worker bees sorting scrap metals.
DecideNow

Alameda, CA

#12 Feb 10, 2009
Yesterday, I watched president Obama conduct a town hall meeting in Elkhart, Indiana in the morning and a primetime news conference later in the day at the White House in order to push his stimulus package to the American people. Why can't our leaders starting with Mayor Davis and the City Council follow his example, I'm not asking for a daily update of their projects for Vallejo's recovery from bankruptcy but I certainly expect them to provide this city with weekly or biweekly progress reports on the various projects on the agenda towards attracting business and industry in the city specially Mare Island.

If there is indeed a chance that Vallejo will be awarded an equal share of the stimulus package aid, it will happen because our leaders have demonstrated that they are actively pursuing programs that are in line with the president's policies and not because they have been sitting around just waiting for the handout .

It is very disappointing the see nothing in the news that will give Vallejoans an indication that our city is prepared to present to the Obama administration several programs that will create jobs, promote energy conservation and attract industries that will reduce our dependence on fossil fuel.
interesting

Napa, CA

#14 Feb 10, 2009
shANUS n traiTARDs ghost wrote:
Imagine that someone that sees that we need to deal with expenditures and revenue. So now our famous slackers think that trying to remove a major cause of expenditures (binding arbitration) is wasted energy. Sounds like you fellows just want the Council to give you want you want. What you want has been the standard of operation in this city for decades at the expense of those of us that live here.
Alun, you are nothing but an annoying speedbump in the way of the future of Vallejo. You place yourself in the path of all ideas and inspiriations to improve the lot of the city, and for all of us, with the sole intent of slowing everything down. You think you're a voice of reason- you're a brick wall in the way of progress. Or perhaps just a brick.

Bringing businesses to Mare Island has nothing to do with employee pay, or benefits- those are a separate issue. Many of us, myself included, have tried to find ways to improve the present and secure the future of our city. You have no interest in doing anything but attacking the city employees. If you can't lead, get out of the way.
shANUS n traiTARDs ghost

Pleasant Hill, CA

#15 Feb 10, 2009
interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
Alun, you are nothing but an annoying speedbump in the way of the future of Vallejo. You place yourself in the path of all ideas and inspiriations to improve the lot of the city, and for all of us, with the sole intent of slowing everything down. You think you're a voice of reason- you're a brick wall in the way of progress. Or perhaps just a brick.
Bringing businesses to Mare Island has nothing to do with employee pay, or benefits- those are a separate issue. Many of us, myself included, have tried to find ways to improve the present and secure the future of our city. You have no interest in doing anything but attacking the city employees. If you can't lead, get out of the way.
You are dim sort of fellow, that cannot grasp the concept of a balance sheet on. On one side we have revenues and on the other expenditures. You supported signing contracts that guarantee expenditures without the needed revenues to support them.

For months we have been bored to a coma reading your posts about bad council decisions then in a typical about turn you embrace this bad decision. Your suggestions for revenues are arcane in your dungy little mind. When will you admit that revenue dreams with caviar expenses leaves an empty purse which is not what I call "securing the future of the city" it is more like "selling the future of the city", and Ozzy along with the funded four have done just that.
blimey limey

Daly City, CA

#16 Feb 10, 2009
alun, surely no one will ever accuse you of being an optimist, but you have secured a legacy in our community as "town crier", lol!!!
interesting

Napa, CA

#17 Feb 10, 2009
<quoted text>You are dim sort of fellow, that cannot grasp the concept of a balance sheet on. On one side we have revenues and on the other expenditures. You supported signing contracts that guarantee expenditures without the needed revenues to support them.
For months we have been bored to a coma reading your posts about bad council decisions then in a typical about turn you embrace this bad decision. Your suggestions for revenues are arcane in your dungy little mind. When will you admit that revenue dreams with caviar expenses leaves an empty purse which is not what I call "securing the future of the city" it is more like "selling the future of the city", and Ozzy along with the funded four have done just that.
Bored to a coma? Funny, you've still been able to type your vitriolic responses. And you've kept reading my postings, now haven't you? Don't like what I say? Don't read what I write. See how simple that is, Alun?

You have a myopic focus on attacking the city employees, and this is preventing you from seeing any of the possibilites on the horizon for Vallejo. If you want to attack the city employees, fine. But inserting that into a converstation about stimulating the local economy and building Vallejo's future, you're just being an obstructionist. Get out of the way, Alun, we're trying to move the city forward.
shANUS n traiTARDs ghost

Pleasant Hill, CA

#18 Feb 10, 2009
interesting wrote:
<quoted text>
Bored to a coma? Funny, you've still been able to type your vitriolic responses. And you've kept reading my postings, now haven't you? Don't like what I say? Don't read what I write. See how simple that is, Alun?
You have a myopic focus on attacking the city employees, and this is preventing you from seeing any of the possibilites on the horizon for Vallejo. If you want to attack the city employees, fine. But inserting that into a converstation about stimulating the local economy and building Vallejo's future, you're just being an obstructionist. Get out of the way, Alun, we're trying to move the city forward.
Your snivelling on this subject is most amusing, as your dim vision for the rejuvination of Vallejo.

Your ideas amount to a trip in the way back machine when our only priority was taking care of employees which is exactly why you call any inquiry about their compensation and attack. Sorry old boy but 90 percent of our general fund revenues are tied up in salaries and benefits, and you are being quiet myopic in ignoring that fact when while trying to move thie city forward.
Was Up Wid Dat

Alameda, CA

#19 Feb 10, 2009
Vallejo Heights wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the article, Ms. Gomes does not say she has done anything to bring Tesla here. She merely points out the efforts made by city staff to assure people that read the VIB that something has been done to go after Tesla. I notice she did not put anything in her article about the letters the mayor sent to Tesla last year.
Anonymous

San Francisco, CA

#20 Feb 10, 2009
Was Up Wid Dat wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the article, Ms. Gomes does not say she has done anything to bring Tesla here. She merely points out the efforts made by city staff to assure people that read the VIB that something has been done to go after Tesla. I notice she did not put anything in her article about the letters the mayor sent to Tesla last year.
If you read Ms Gomes article you will see that talks with City/Tesla/Lennar have been taking place since 2006. Thats 3 years ago. So now Tesla needs a brownfield to get capital investments from the government,while the SJ venture capitalists dough is drying up, Mare Island is on their radar.

Good job City Council, City Staff and Lennar. As these critics deride you, quietly you have been making connections all along.

I bet the Chamber of Horrors and the good ol boys had nothing to do with this. They don't want real business here, they want the status quo, since good businesses will bring smart people who will not put up with Vallejo's business as usual.
interesting

Napa, CA

#21 Feb 10, 2009
<quoted text>Your snivelling on this subject is most amusing, as your dim vision for the rejuvination of Vallejo.
Your ideas amount to a trip in the way back machine when our only priority was taking care of employees which is exactly why you call any inquiry about their compensation and attack. Sorry old boy but 90 percent of our general fund revenues are tied up in salaries and benefits, and you are being quiet myopic in ignoring that fact when while trying to move thie city forward.
Alun, you're an insufferable boob. No one will ever bring a business to a bankrupt city which is losing its employees on a daily basis. Stabilizing the situaiton with the employees is critical to the future of the city, as well.

On the revenue side, I don't particularly care if you agree with any of my ideas. You don't want to see any money moving into the general fund, because that would mean the city could make its way out of bankruptcy. As a result, you're against any idea that might actually improve the situation in this city. I think you're a myopic old coot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tesla Motors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Wozniak on Tesla: 'I don't believe anything' El... Feb 1 Solarman 1
News National solar installation numbers down after ... Dec '17 Solarman 1
News Patent Applications Hint At Tesla's Forthcoming... Nov '17 Robert Thomas 2
News $500k windfall for Dartmouth firm Aug '17 Solarman 1
News Will the Electric Car Revolution Sink Platinum ... (Aug '17) Aug '17 Solarman 1
News How Tesla and batteries could recharge Houston'... (Aug '17) Aug '17 Concave 1
News Market Street - The Woodlands get refinanced (May '17) May '17 Stacey Luv 1
More from around the web