Jump at this chance

I have just heard that Tesla Motors, the electric car company, Go Green, is looking at Vallejo, along with other cities, for their new plant. Full Story
Harvey Mandel

Daly City, CA

#1 Sep 22, 2008
The just cut a big deal down in San Jose, and when I saw it on the news, my immediate reaction as well was this is something that could have been lured to Vallejo somehow, but I don't know if we tried or just let it pass like everything else.
GEE

San Francisco, CA

#2 Sep 22, 2008
Yes indeed, this was reported in a big way on all TV channels. The San Jose mayor was all smiles, rightfully so, and drove off in a snazy Tesla.
This obviously is a big loss to San Bruno and a mighty gain for San Jose with building completed by 2010.
Has anyone checked on Levi Strauss? They were looking for new Headquarters. Vallejo economic development has to be discussed at every council meeting. Have some forsight and put it on the agenda, if there is nothing to report, which is usually the case, say so and move on! There is always something to report, may it result in bringing commerce to Vallejo or not.

Since: Mar 08

Vallejo

#3 Sep 22, 2008
Funny that the T-H would print this now -- it's old news that Tesla selected San Jose for their manufacturing plant. San Jose offered them about 90 acres, rent free for the first decade, so it may not have been an offer Vallejo could have matched anyway.

We have a city manager with a good track record of economic development. I hope the bankruptcy is resolved soon so that he can spend more of his time in this area, though I am not optimistic that it will happen quickly since the unions appear unwilling even now to negotiate in good faith.

At least the Touro project is moving forward. That will create good publicity and additional interest from the business community in the Bay Area.
gun metal blue

Vallejo, CA

#4 Sep 22, 2008
there are buildings large enough to be converted to produce autos on mare island. too bad lennar only thinks of homes and the city fathers are too busy doing nothing to bring in businesses.
interesting

Napa, CA

#5 Sep 22, 2008
I believe San Jose was involved with getting Tesla to California originally, when the state was luring them here. This type of proactive business recruitment is what Vallejo needs. I too thought the Tesla plant would have been perfect for Vallejo-perhaps at the old Kaiser steel yard at Sonoma and Curtola. Another opportunity that passes Vallejo by because the CM and Council are too busy looking at attacking the public safety unions, instead of looking up toward the future.
captain

San Ramon, CA

#6 Sep 22, 2008
interesting wrote:
I believe San Jose was involved with getting Tesla to California originally, when the state was luring them here. This type of proactive business recruitment is what Vallejo needs. I too thought the Tesla plant would have been perfect for Vallejo-perhaps at the old Kaiser steel yard at Sonoma and Curtola. Another opportunity that passes Vallejo by because the CM and Council are too busy looking at attacking the public safety unions, instead of looking up toward the future.
Both Lennar and Vallejo were pursing Tesla.
GEE

San Francisco, CA

#7 Sep 22, 2008
captain wrote:
<quoted text>
Both Lennar and Vallejo were pursing Tesla.
If that was the case why is this not reported during council meetings? That way residents would be made aware that our employees are working on behalf of Vallejo. I often wonder if my tax pennies are actually at work and not just collected.
Harvey Mandel

Daly City, CA

#8 Sep 22, 2008
GEE wrote:
<quoted text>
If that was the case why is this not reported during council meetings? That way residents would be made aware that our employees are working on behalf of Vallejo. I often wonder if my tax pennies are actually at work and not just collected.
Yeah, well, they must have been trying with back channel tactics like everything else, because I do not recall any spirited effort to get them here. I remember a whole different approach way back when we were trying to get Marine World. Tesla, Levi Strauss, Solar companies. You think it's an image problem?
captain

San Ramon, CA

#9 Sep 22, 2008
GEE wrote:
<quoted text>
If that was the case why is this not reported during council meetings? That way residents would be made aware that our employees are working on behalf of Vallejo. I often wonder if my tax pennies are actually at work and not just collected.
I don't know.
WAZ UP WID DAT

Fairfield, CA

#10 Sep 22, 2008
Its should not come as a surprise that lots of businesses that wanted to come to Vallejo, were actively passed along to the Fairfield mall. Want to know why? Vallejo investors had their fingers in pieces of the FairField Mall pie, not to mention former Vallejeons (now living in Green Valley.) So, bookstores, micro breweries, and the like were sent up county to Fairfield, they counted on us all getting in our vehicles and making the drive. Wrong! times have changed, the biggest city in Solano County is going to demand its right to good shopping, eating and entertainment. Viva Vallejo!
tramky

Vacaville, CA

#11 Sep 22, 2008
It does seem to be the case that the 'pursuits' of prospective business to come into Vallejo are done in secret. The only time the citizens of Vallejo hears about it is when some spokesman says "So-and-so company has decided to establish their plant/headquarters/campus in so-and-so town".

And that second so-and-so is a city OTHER than Vallejo.
The Sweede

Vallejo, CA

#12 Sep 23, 2008
GEE wrote:
Yes indeed, this was reported in a big way on all TV channels. The San Jose mayor was all smiles, rightfully so, and drove off in a snazy Tesla.
This obviously is a big loss to San Bruno and a mighty gain for San Jose with building completed by 2010.
Has anyone checked on Levi Strauss? They were looking for new Headquarters. Vallejo economic development has to be discussed at every council meeting. Have some forsight and put it on the agenda, if there is nothing to report, which is usually the case, say so and move on! There is always something to report, may it result in bringing commerce to Vallejo or not.
Levi went overseas, like every other American tradition!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tesla Motors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Energy storage seen as next spark for 'green' p... (Jun '14) Nov 22 Green -cash- Cons... 48
Michigan weighs whether to bar Tesla Oct '14 reality is a crutch 1
St. Louis shooting reignites anger among activists Oct '14 barefoot2626 142
Musk's Tesla D Intrigue Stokes Rally in Mobiley... Oct '14 amineunited 2
Visa Inc (V) and Mastercard Inc (MA) Stocks Hav... Sep '14 Philip Cohen 1
Why Tesla (TSLA) Stock Is Rising Today Sep '14 Marc 1
California evades massive giveaway to Tesla: Th... Sep '14 Solarman 1
More from around the web