TCF's Cooper back on salary: $950K a year

There are 108 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Aug 4, 2009, titled TCF's Cooper back on salary: $950K a year. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

After "volunteering" his services for the past year, TCF Financial Corp. CEO Bill Cooper will soon get a hefty paycheck.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Good

Shakopee, MN

#1 Aug 4, 2009
Good for him. He deserves it.
billybob

Cumberland, WI

#2 Aug 4, 2009
nobody's worth that. were's that money cummin from
Bob Hope

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Aug 4, 2009
Cooper is worth every penny of it! Plus you have to love a guy who told the gov't to take their TARP money and stick it.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Aug 4, 2009
Why is it anybody's business what Bill Cooper makes? Maybe the reporter wants to tell us what he makes.
calvin

Minneapolis, MN

#5 Aug 4, 2009
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
Why is it anybody's business what Bill Cooper makes? Maybe the reporter wants to tell us what he makes.
Ever hear of the Securities and Exchange Commission?
Mr Secant

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Aug 4, 2009
$5277.78 an hour for his service or $5269.32 more than the custodian who works 3 times as hard and 4 times longer each day!
Incredible

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Aug 4, 2009
Come on people...everyone needs to jump onboard and say things like 'no one is worth that', or 'rich jerk', or 'overpaid conservative'.

Guess what...he knows what he is doing, and made the bank lots of money this past year. Anyone else on here who claims they could do his job is delusional.

So go back to putting your money inside your mattress...
deepThinker

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Aug 4, 2009
billybob wrote:
nobody's worth that. were's that money cummin from
Two places:

Overdraft fees

ATM Fees

*Note: There are only a hand full of gas stations that have TCF ATMs, good luck hunting.
calvin

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Aug 4, 2009
Incredible wrote:
And show a 30% improvement on your investments over the past year...
Middle Class Man

Plymouth, MN

#13 Aug 4, 2009
Get ready to pay NSF fee’s out you @$$.
NoDOoubt

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Aug 4, 2009
Incredible wrote:
Come on people...everyone needs to jump onboard and say things like 'no one is worth that', or 'rich jerk', or 'overpaid conservative'.
Guess what...he knows what he is doing, and made the bank lots of money this past year. Anyone else on here who claims they could do his job is delusional.
CEO's play golf, eat excessively, drink like fish, lie for a living, deligate the work to subordiantes, tell great stories and sit on boards to inflate their brethrens salaries.
Dont hate the rich guy

Truman, MN

#15 Aug 4, 2009
If you do the real math (not what Mr. Secant did)
he is making $315 buck an hour.
I did this by taking a 50 week year (even a workaholic like this guy will take a couple week off)
and factored 10 hour days for 6 days a week (probably a little on the light side but easy to use for math purposes)
That's 3,000 hours in a year.
take 950,000 divided by 3,000 and you get 316.66/hr.
this guy is worth that (and all the options he gets) and then some.
Whereas the janitor provides for a nice clean bathroom, this guy generates and produces massive amounts of profit and money-
IrishMN

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Aug 4, 2009
Dont hate the rich guy wrote:
I did this by taking a 50 week year (even a workaholic like this guy will take a couple week off)
and factored 10 hour days for 6 days a week (probably a little on the light side but easy to use for math purposes)
Whereas the janitor provides for a nice clean bathroom, this guy generates and produces massive amounts of profit and money-
Baloney on the amount of working time. How many rounds of golf a year are included there? Or days on the bank's yacht? And how about his time at the beach house in Florida? Or the ski resort in Vail? Or the fishing lodge in Canada?

This overpaid buffoon is another of the Bushco cronies that is making millions off of the backs of the poor. It is about time we put wage controls on all of those obscenely rich CEO's and make them work for the amount of the lowest paid employee on their staff.

This truly is a great example of how we need to change the way business executives are compensated in this country. They should be paid based on the amount of good they do for their fellow man, not on the amount of profits they steal from the poor working man or woman.
mike in iowa

Spirit Lake, IA

#17 Aug 4, 2009
I opened my first bank account with TCF when I was 12 years old in 1972. When I was 28 years old with over $3000.00 in savings and a professional career in 1988...not to mention the fact htat I had been a loyal TCF customer for about 16 years...dutifully paying hundreds of dollars of overdarft fees during my college years...I was shocked when TCF turned me down for a car loan that year.

So I closed my account that day in 1988 and joined the Saint Paul City and County Employees Credit Union and got a loan for that car the next day.

It doesn't surprise me at all that TCF is paying its CEO an outrageous salary.

What surprises me more is why anyone would bank there unless of course you live on Lake Minnetonka and need to keep up appearances at the expense of young people whose only income may be a paper route.
the golden eel

United States

#18 Aug 4, 2009
IrishMN wrote:
<quoted text>
Baloney on the amount of working time. How many rounds of golf a year are included there? Or days on the bank's yacht? And how about his time at the beach house in Florida? Or the ski resort in Vail? Or the fishing lodge in Canada?
This overpaid buffoon is another of the Bushco cronies that is making millions off of the backs of the poor. It is about time we put wage controls on all of those obscenely rich CEO's and make them work for the amount of the lowest paid employee on their staff.
This truly is a great example of how we need to change the way business executives are compensated in this country. They should be paid based on the amount of good they do for their fellow man, not on the amount of profits they steal from the poor working man or woman.
I love posts like this!

I agree!!!

Who does this CEO think he is? Providing jobs for TCF employees and banking services for private citizens who decide to use TCF bank... We need to get rid of all successful people who run companies that employ people! Who do they think they are?!?!
demguy

Plymouth, MN

#19 Aug 4, 2009
If you don't like what the man is making, don't bank there.
G Man

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Aug 4, 2009
Middle Class Man wrote:
Get ready to pay NSF fee’s out you @$$.
I have been a TCF customer for 15+ years and never paid a NSF. Perhaps you should be accountable for your own actions.
Incredible

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Aug 4, 2009
NoDOoubt wrote:
<quoted text>
CEO's play golf, eat excessively, drink like fish, lie for a living, deligate the work to subordiantes, tell great stories and sit on boards to inflate their brethrens salaries.
I bet they can spell too! I would ask how much you make per hour, but your post pretty much shows that you got a raise last week when the minimum wage went up...
TTT

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Aug 4, 2009
Dont hate the rich guy wrote:
Are you drunk? 6 days-10 hours/day... right! Mr. Bigshot works that hard. Probably comes to the office 3 times a week and sit in 1 hour meeting then leaves on a "business" trip to the bahamas to "entertain" business partners. He's such a hard worker.
Bah Humbug

Saint Paul, MN

#23 Aug 4, 2009
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
Becaust TCF is a publicly traded company. That's why.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

TCF Financial Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Minnesota's three biggest banks say woes might ... (Jul '09) Oct '11 Wayne 2
News Bank Takes Swipe at Proposed Debit Card Rules i... (Apr '11) Apr '11 crayz ox3thongee 5
News Judge to hear motions in TCF debit fee lawsuit (Apr '11) Apr '11 butch 6
News Debit card issuer sues Fed chairman over fees (Oct '10) Feb '11 Cky 64
News TCF posts earnings gain, hunts for new customers (Jan '11) Jan '11 Cathy 4
News TCF stock tumbles on its third-quarter showing (Oct '10) Oct '10 RomeoHitman 6
News TCF will possess Hecker's stuff (Sep '10) Sep '10 The Doors 1
More from around the web