Norton 360 crashes daily

Posted in the Symantec Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Richard

Augusta, GA

#1 May 2, 2007
Norton 360 ends spontaneously at some point every day. Tech support suggested I try changes to MSCONFIG, which I did to no avail. Windows XP, basic Microsoft products, 2 gig memory, etc. After 360 closes, Microsoft message is:

This problem was caused by Client and Host Security Platform (ccapp.exe). This program was created by Symantec Corporation. Symantec Corporation does not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported.
Recommendation

For support information and product updates, Symantec Corporation recommends that you go online to the following website:
Symantec Corporation

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Nic

United States

#2 May 11, 2007
I run 360, but with Vista. My Norton will not run. I've uninstalled. Then reinstalled, but ALWAYS, after It goes through a round of LiveUpdates do I get a Microsoft C++, ccApp.exe Runtime Error. I've since spoken through support and asked for a logfile of the error. They hinted it was a bug they're still researching. I have yet to hear of a resolution. I'm very upset. McAfee, I feel is calling my name.
Springckn

AOL

#3 May 15, 2007
Here I sit without any AV protection. Bought Norton 360, and spent three days trying to get it to work. The daily, make that hourly, crashes finally led me to completely uninstall it. And, voila, I can now connect to the internet. I would really like to have protection but Norton doesn't seem to know how to fix the problems. I too have the ccapp.exe failure. Anyone else (since Norton doesn't have it) have suggestions?
David Wolhuter

Brisbane, Australia

#4 May 22, 2007
I have had Norton crashing repeatedly on 3 machimes. All XP Pro all with 1Gig memory. On one machine I got the ccApp error. One machine had to be reformatted and reloaded. I could not uninstall Norton 360 from this machine and it then lost internet connectivity. My home network has also stopped working. A real pain.
Scott

United States

#5 May 26, 2007
I have about the same problem. On my XP Pro machine I get a runtime error when Norton 360's ccApp tries to load, but only on my limited account. It works fine when I run as administrator (which I hadn't been doing). It also worked fine after a reinstall, but quit working again after running Live Update. Fortunately for me, it just leaves me unprotected. It hasn't affected my network or computer in any other way.

Interestingly, unlike Nic, it runs fine on my Vista machine (Home Premium 64-bit). I haven't had a hiccup there.

Still looking for an answer. Good luck.
J-man

Houston, TX

#6 May 30, 2007
Norton 360 is a pooptakular product! I, too am running it in "disabled" mode. Also waiting on a fix from Symantec. I hope it doesn't take forever. I was really hoping they would have some info, such as look at this log file to see what's going on or actually have errors in the Event Viewer. But there you go: nothing! I'm broken & I have nothing to explain it! Ain't it a great product?
radioman

Australia

#7 May 31, 2007
I had the problem where it would only run in Administrator mode, on 3 computers. It also took down some other programs like Adobe 7. I seem to have fixed it as follows:

The apps don't load as two dlls
MSVCP71.DLL
MSVCR71.DLL
in the Windows/system32 directory have had their permissions set so that they are not accessible to a restricted user. Using XP Pro this is easily remedied by right clicking on the file (admin user) and in the security tab add a new set of users 'Users', this will have the default permissions 'Read' and 'Read and Execute'. Do this for both files and all seems OK.

I never had any network problems, but it took my notebook down severely and I did a full reinstall.
norton 360 is crapware

Trenton, NJ

#8 Jun 1, 2007
Norton 360 is bloatware. Not only did it make my three computer crawl but I get a runtime error when trying to run roxio. Caht support was worthless asfter the guy lied to me about being in the US. I guess that it was Kumar from India based on his lack of english skills. I uninstalled this crap and will get my money back. STAY AWAY FROM NORTON 360. I bought it based on a review from PC Mag. Shame on them for not testing this crapware.
EDWARD

Highlands, NC

#9 Jun 2, 2007
Multiple installs and complete removals using Norton Removal Tool plus many online chats led me to absolute proof that blue screen occured on one update, that of Symantec Trusted Applications List. I can replicate it any time. All other updates work. By turning off Automatic Update in Norton 360, and updating manually, all problems are resolved.
applejackll

Singapore, Singapore

#10 Jun 2, 2007
I have the same runtime time error when using a limited account. The tech support guy could only tell me to wait for the live update.(that was one week ago!)

They should STOP selling Norton 360 until the bug is solved.
klwaaldja

Saint Petersburg, Russia

#11 Jun 3, 2007
I have the same problems... shit happens (
David

Toronto, Canada

#12 Jun 6, 2007
I am having the same problem with Internet Security 2007 on a new Dell XP Pro machine. It started about a week ago. Before that all was fine.
radioman

Australia

#13 Jun 10, 2007
Check the access permissions on the following DLLs in the Windows/system32 directory

MSVCP71.DLL
MSVCR71.DLL

They should be accessible to all users. If you use XP Pro it is easy, log on as administrator, use explorer, right click on the file and choose properties, and under the Security tab check that 'Users' are listed with 'Read & Execute' and 'Read' rights. If not, click 'Add' and enter 'Users' as the object to add. The default permissions are OK.

This fixed all my problems. These DLLs are needed for any application built with Microsoft Visual Studio 2003, and there are a lot of them, and they shoudl definitely be available to all users. This update from Norton did this to 3 of my computers, but changing this fixed all three. On my notebook I did a complete operating system reinstall and saw the problem appear (and the permissions of these files change) with the Norton live update. What I don't know is why more people are not affected.
Scott

United States

#14 Jun 18, 2007
Thanks for the info radioman. I checked those two DLLs but found that the permissions were already correct, so they aren't my specific problem. But I think you're sending me on the right track. I have MS Visual Studio 2003 installed on my computer (which may be the part of the problem and the reason so few have it).

I'll attempt some debugging on my own, but if you don't mind me asking, how did you narrow it down to those two files? If I can find a similar problem I'd love to have mine fixed. Thanks again.
Kehua New Zealand

New Zealand

#15 Jun 23, 2007
EDWARD wrote:
Multiple installs and complete removals using Norton Removal Tool plus many online chats led me to absolute proof that blue screen occured on one update, that of Symantec Trusted Applications List. I can replicate it any time. All other updates work. By turning off Automatic Update in Norton 360, and updating manually, all problems are resolved.
Hmm - I'm becoming an EXPERT at uninstall and reinstall. Running through a proxy server - NOT easy with Norton 360 ... Took 8 install attempts (with various cleanups with registry and Norton Removal tool, plus a mess with subscription expired) on the XP pro machine and 3 installs on the XP home machine)... the WIERD thing now is that I cannot connect to LiveUpdate through the LAN/Broadband(wireless) connection on either machine WITHIN Norton 360, but can running LUALL. Fine, BUT - Norton 360 insists that the updates HAVEN'T ever been run ...(but they have via LUALL)- I WAS able to run internally on the machine that has a secondary access via dialup/satellite - that the (censored) Norton 360 recognised .. but NEITHER machine recognises the LUALL updates. Now the Live Chat doesn't work. Either Machine. That REALLY ticked me off.

Finally, Symantec, you've ticked me off enough to consider abandoning Norton/Symantic in favour of a reputable company/products...(have been a loyal user of Norton products since they were first introduced =- yes I know - SLOW learner)
Abhay Robert

Delhi, India

#16 Jun 24, 2007
To install Norton360 first run norton removal tool download it for free on sysmentec website it is about 700 KB only after restart pc and then install Norton 360.
kell

Dallas, OR

#17 Jun 24, 2007
Hi Nic:
I have the same problem. I got Norton working by turning off the User Account Control. Not a great solution and I still have to narrow down just what in UAC is conflicting with Norton, but I hope it helps.
Kell
Nic wrote:
I run 360, but with Vista. My Norton will not run. I've uninstalled. Then reinstalled, but ALWAYS, after It goes through a round of LiveUpdates do I get a Microsoft C++, ccApp.exe Runtime Error. I've since spoken through support and asked for a logfile of the error. They hinted it was a bug they're still researching. I have yet to hear of a resolution. I'm very upset. McAfee, I feel is calling my name.
radioman

Chatswood, Australia

#18 Jun 26, 2007
Scott wrote:
Thanks for the info radioman. I checked those two DLLs but found that the permissions were already correct, so they aren't my specific problem. But I think you're sending me on the right track. I have MS Visual Studio 2003 installed on my computer (which may be the part of the problem and the reason so few have it).
I'll attempt some debugging on my own, but if you don't mind me asking, how did you narrow it down to those two files? If I can find a similar problem I'd love to have mine fixed. Thanks again.
I was getting 'application failed to start' errors, so I ran dependency walker ( http://www.dependencywalker.com/ ) on those .exe files and it told me that these .dll files were not accessible.

Hope this helps.
DesRat

Moorestown, NJ

#19 Jun 26, 2007
radioman wrote:
I had the problem where it would only run in Administrator mode, on 3 computers. It also took down some other programs like Adobe 7. I seem to have fixed it as follows:
The apps don't load as two dlls
MSVCP71.DLL
MSVCR71.DLL
in the Windows/system32 directory have had their permissions set so that they are not accessible to a restricted user. Using XP Pro this is easily remedied by right clicking on the file (admin user) and in the security tab add a new set of users 'Users', this will have the default permissions 'Read' and 'Read and Execute'. Do this for both files and all seems OK.
I never had any network problems, but it took my notebook down severely and I did a full reinstall.
I also had a problem with Norton 360, in that it would only run if the user had administrator privileges. After going through a number of Symantec support layers, I got a technician who told me changes had to be made to my Windows XP registry. I gave him control of my desktop and he proceeded to make changes in the "Permissions" section of the registry. He then ran the DOS command CACLS on 2 Microsoft DLLs. Well guess what? The Norton 360 problem went away, but it took me 2 weeks of agony trying to fix some of the seemingly unrelated problems that started to occur. It got so bad that I couldn't log on for more than 10 minutes without getting an error message that "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience." Of course, Symantec denied causing any problems and I ended up having to restore my system back to a prior point in time to make these other problems go away. Now everything is running fine except for the original Norton 360 problem The only solution Symantec is still advocating is the one that I believe caused my other problems, which I refuse to apply at this time. I'd rather live with the "Limited User" problem than to risk another round of Generic Host problems.
radioman

Chatswood, Australia

#20 Jun 26, 2007
DesRat - it could be a similar problem to mine - did you get the names of the dlls he altered? It is probably worth checking the permissions on the two dlls I had problems with. These dlls are used by any software developed with Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 - and there is a lot of that, they should definitely be accessible to all users. You should not cause any problems by allowing all users to access them. On my notebook computer when I did a full OS reinstall, I was able to watch the privileges change by Live Update and all the problems then appear.

I really like the idea of a security company telling you that the only way to run their software is to compromise the security of your system by running with administrative privileges!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Symantec Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Free Download: Norton Antivirus 2013, Norton In... (Jun '12) Dec '14 jummon 8
Symantec Visa Rebate card (Nov '06) Oct '14 another upset cus... 184
Rebate card balance (May '10) Sep '14 HeatherQ 27
Symantec failed to remove Sejo worm (Jul '14) Jul '14 Mahadevan 1
Census, cyber, satellites and soccer (Jun '14) Jun '14 other poop 1
In a technological upset, Obama bests Clinton (Mar '08) Apr '14 fayebryant00 3
Global Mobile Device Management Enterprise Soft... (Sep '13) Sep '13 RichardBrown12 1
More from around the web