Tiny gold-brown bugs in Morton Salt
joe

Santa Maria, CA

#21 Jul 28, 2010
they need to be reported so a regulatory agency will check it out
Darlene Whitehead

Dravosburg, PA

#22 Aug 19, 2010
I have found these bugs in my Mortons Salt too! I dont know what to do, or better yet what they are! They are these beyond tiny little brown bugs that are acutally IN the salt. I bought a container of the salt, brought it home and started to pour the salt into the salt shaker when i noticed not 1,2,3 more like dozens of these little bugs crawling EVERYWHERE, i thought that maybe it was the sat shaker so i dumped some of the salt from the original container onto the counter and there were dozen more! I imeditly threw the salt away and sanitized the counters. I went back to the store bought another container of salt and it too had the bugs. Tomorrow i will go back to the store and see the manager about the salt. Because if two of the bottles have the bugs i am sure there will be more. I sure as hell hope that they do something about this bug promblem because it is gross and unsanitary. If this doesnt get taken care of soon I will be sure to contact the Morton salt company myself and give them a piece of my mind.
moby

Detroit, MI

#23 Feb 8, 2011
they biches
javadic

Plain City, OH

#24 Aug 21, 2011
I have bugs in 2 different brands of table salt. I never expected to find bugs in salt. I would have expected salt to dehydrate them.
javadic

Plain City, OH

#25 Aug 21, 2011
joe wrote:
they need to be reported so a regulatory agency will check it out
Where would one report this? Judging from this forum, it's all over the country.
yly

Naples, Italy

#26 Aug 30, 2011
can I ask how big they are? I've found something in my salt (very tiny, like 1 mm) but I can't nothing in the web aside from this page T_T
fak

Sugar Land, TX

#27 Oct 8, 2011
We had the same problem too - how annoying. I know regularly check the salt checker have not had the same problem in a while. The surprising part is that they were all dead so not sure what health risks we face..
Kate from Chicago

United States

#28 Oct 10, 2011
I was using salt from the shaker that was on a table in the living room when I noticed btown dots in it. Poured it out and saw lots of brown spots/ bugs in the salt. Checked the salt container that was in the kitchen that the salt came in. No brown spots or bugs. Dumpted all the salt and shaker. Will call Dominicks supermarket and tell them of problem. This gives me the creeps.Was not Morton salt.
Kate from Chicago

United States

#29 Oct 10, 2011
I had posted earlier that I found bugs in my salt from Dominicks - I was wrong, it was the Jewel house brand salt that I found them in.
Shakes Mcgee

Minneapolis, MN

#30 Feb 7, 2012
I accually came on here just to google "bugs in salt" and was suprised I was not the only one. thay are definately coming in after I bring it home. I put wax paper over the top of my salt shaker and screw the top back on. That seems to work. and keep the can in a zip lock bag.
Martin

Amersham, UK

#31 Mar 21, 2012
I have this problem in the UK. Tiny insects in the table salt jar (lidded) but not in the Malden Flake salt jar (also lidded). What are they and why aren't they dehydrated and mummified?
Richard

London, UK

#32 May 16, 2012
found them in my plastic pot for salt, its got a close seal that needs a firm pull to be opened.

i have found them in flour and had to bin the lot, but in salt i didnt think it could happen.
Heather

New York, NY

#33 Aug 20, 2012
Please check your grain products!!!! Thats what my came in with and then migrated to my salt. Cake flour, oatmeal, rice, quinoa, whole wheat flour, sugar, cereal, granola and anything that comes in a cardboard box. Most are flour weevils and come in flour as eggs then hatch after a while and begin to migrate throughout your pantry and kitchen. We found out too late and have them everywhere now it is so scary and disgusting.
ray smith

Warrington, UK

#34 Aug 22, 2012
i have just found weevil type bugs in our saxo salt
Rose Brisola

Curitiba, Brazil

#35 Nov 30, 2012
I found these bugs on my salt and can't believe they eat salt. There are lots of them in the salt container, but they are in the sugar container too.
I live in Brazil and nobody here has seen it.
What is this? How can we kill these bugs?
Karl

Vőru, Estonia

#36 Aug 4, 2013
I found exact same insects in my salt too. This seems to be worldwide problem as I'm from Estonia...
rebecca straley

Dacula, GA

#37 Sep 29, 2013
I threw my salt and grains away, but now I bought new salt and see black bug parts and at Cracker barrell too? are they unhealthy?
Dani

San Jose, CA

#38 Jul 18, 2014
They are most likely weevils. Weevils do not eat salt as it is toxic to them, but they will infest a container every now and then thinking it's food. Salt kills disease, so I have no qualms about dumping out the salt, picking out the weevils, and pouring it in another container. However, the salt I use is expensive, and I would recommend just tossing it to be safe if you use the cheap kind. For sugar, grain, and other foods infested with weevils, your best bet is to just toss it.
yep

Montréal, Canada

#39 Aug 9, 2014
I've noticed the same thing since a year ago. Inspecting salt at the groceries, not just safeway, it seems a lot of brands have those bugs in them.
Dee

Houston, TX

#40 Mar 4, 2015
I bought a big bag of salt at Sam's Club a while back, so that i didn't have to purchase anymore anytime soon, today i decided to fill up some containers with salt... to my surprise...i found bugs in it. I kno bugs form out of salt or rice but... my question is... can i still use the salt? Or do I run any danger in using it? I meani would literally have to get rid of the entire bag... no bugs crawled in because i keep it inside a cooler among other stuff like rice, sugar, etc. Only stuff i purchase in big quantities from Sam's Club.
It does get a Lil gross knowing there were tiny bugs in my salt, but...

Anyone please help!
Thank you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Safeway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I hate Safeway. (Feb '10) Apr 12 Derek 135
Dotcom? As a personal shopper Jan '17 domnic 1
Bothell WA Safeway #535 employees are quitting ... (Jul '16) Dec '16 Christina 2
Safeway Executive Thiefs (Feb '14) Oct '16 Getmeout 6
News Altria Group: An Attractive Investment (Apr '14) Jul '16 Mugs mahone 2
Conflict of interest (Aug '15) Jul '16 Leigho 4
News Safeway closing 9 stores in metro Denver (May '15) Jul '16 Leigho 4
More from around the web