Tiny gold-brown bugs in Morton Salt

Posted in the Safeway Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Robert Willett

Dublin, CA

#1 Sep 7, 2007
We recently found very tiny beetle or weevil like bugs in our Morton Table salt container and inside any recepticle that we put the salt in after purchasing the cylinder of Morton table salt..........anyone elsae have same problem? I went to safeway today where I had bought the salt a few weeks back suspiciously had no Morton Salt containers for sale. It looked like they were recalled from the shelves. I plan to contact the store Mgr for an explanation..........
salt mechanic

Louisville, KY

#2 Jan 5, 2008
Should have never stopped making box salt at Weeks Island plant. That would have never happened there!
Deb

Kennett Square, PA

#3 Jan 21, 2008
Me, too! I am not sure the bugs came in the container or somehow found their way into my salt shakers.
Deb

Kennett Square, PA

#4 Jan 21, 2008
I found them, too. But I am not sure they came in the container of salt, or found their way into my salt shakers. I will do a little more investigation.
ghstwlkr99

Brashear, TX

#5 Feb 8, 2008
why did you stop making box salt at Weeks Island ?
Tally

New Orleans, LA

#6 Mar 25, 2008
I had the same problem. By the time I found the bugs, they had moved into other food containers in my pantry.
Jewell

Chula Vista, CA

#7 Sep 7, 2008
Wow, I saw the same bugs. Once I noticed it I looked in all of my moron salt. I put some salt in warm water and saw a few dead ones float to the top. They are so tiny I barely saw them. Then I went to the store yesterday to buy more, there wasn't any on the shelves. This is strange.
crzyldy49

AOL

#8 Sep 15, 2008
I have the bugs in my salt shaker and I buy bulk sea salt.. its not in the bulk bag, just my shaker. Ive cleaned my cupboards out and not any in there... i swear they are coming from the wood my cupboards are made of lol....... I just open teh container pick them out,, usually just one or two in there..... got the moths in my grains and cereals and stuff...... now they are a pain in my a**... and i see them in the stores flying around.. Its always something
crazy good

Woodstock, GA

#9 Oct 15, 2008
well i guess i havent noticed them because im 2 buzzy pouring the salt. but ill check. it will be so freaky if i find any thing. im scared.
Rebecca

United States

#10 Apr 6, 2009
I live in Brooklyn, NY, and I have found small bug parts & such in almost EVERY canister of sea salt I have purchased in the past 6 months, regardless of the brand. I don't have other pests in my kitchen, so I'm very confused. I suspect it may be the poor storage practices of some of my local supermarkets. Anyone know what they are...are they weevils? And if so, how do weevils ingest & live on salt?
paulett

Norfolk, VA

#11 Dec 14, 2009
well i just poured my salt to the shaker an omg the mothes alot of them an the webs came out to ????????
never have i in 63 yrs seen this what is going on ?????
Tamarascamerastu dio8

Mazon, IL

#12 Dec 22, 2009
Robert Willett wrote:
We recently found very tiny beetle or weevil like bugs in our Morton Table salt container and inside any recepticle that we put the salt in after purchasing the cylinder of Morton table salt..........anyone elsae have same problem? I went to safeway today where I had bought the salt a few weeks back suspiciously had no Morton Salt containers for sale. It looked like they were recalled from the shelves. I plan to contact the store Mgr for an explanation..........
I found bugs to, I'm almost 50 years old and I never saw this is my life. Gross! Are we being invaded my the salt bugs or what?
Tamarascamerastu dio8

Mazon, IL

#13 Dec 22, 2009
I found bugs too. Gross! What is going on? Gross! I've been using salt since 1961, and never seen that before.
paulett

Norfolk, VA

#14 Dec 23, 2009
well i guess no one knows the answer ????
these were moth like bugs and the webs to ???? what could these be doesnt anybody have an answer !
Nic

South Africa

#15 Mar 23, 2010
Albert

Frisco, TX

#16 Jun 10, 2010
I found bugs in my salt shaker as well… it's the craziest thing. I have diamond crystal so its something bigger than just one company. Are they growing in the salt
Pam

Canoga Park, CA

#17 Jul 10, 2010
Gross me out! Who knew I could find this problem just by Googling it? I was afraid there might actually be something to it.....yes...me too.......they must be in the salt to begin with, as when I discovered that the salt was not flowing freely from my container....then opened up the bottom, the salt was sticky. Out came a big,(thank goodness, dead) 1/2 inch-sized beetle thing .....followed by another....smaller....Don't even know if the original salt was Morton...but probably, as I don't think I ever bought any other for general use. The beetle thing (things)must have been there as a little babies....ew....this is July 10 2010.......I feel sick. Does anyone know the reason...my shaker is now soaking in hot water and things keep coming out....I'm so disgusted........any answers?
Pam

Canoga Park, CA

#18 Jul 10, 2010
paulett wrote:
well i just poured my salt to the shaker an omg the mothes alot of them an the webs came out to ????????
never have i in 63 yrs seen this what is going on ?????
I'm with you, sista.......the most disgusting thing in my 58 years!

I fell as if I have the bugs in me now......ew.......
stephanie

Madison, AL

#19 Jul 25, 2010
we were cleaning out the cupboard and saw tiny gray/brown things moving...at a closer look- they're bugs .... in the salt mostly...and some on/in the other containers there. This made us want to know what they are so I'm here reading the posts. We didn't have Morton's, just an off brand. So, these "tinys" like salt? Don't think they're weevils b/c there's none in our oatmeal or flour. go figure...just the salt and a few spices.
joe

Santa Maria, CA

#20 Jul 28, 2010
Robert Willett wrote:
In most cases there is a contamination issue at the distribution center....nice job sfy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Safeway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I hate Safeway. (Feb '10) Feb 10 William Ivey 153
pricing out singles Sep '17 single person pri... 1
Long libes (Aug '17) Aug '17 J dz 1
Safeway vs Kroger (Jun '17) Jun '17 Kingstoopids 1
Dotcom? As a personal shopper (Jan '17) Jan '17 domnic 1
Bothell WA Safeway #535 employees are quitting ... (Jul '16) Dec '16 Christina 2
Safeway Executive Thiefs (Feb '14) Oct '16 Getmeout 6
More from around the web