Safeway opens big new Kapahulu store

Safeway opens big new Kapahulu store

There are 97 comments on the The Honolulu Advertiser story from Nov 9, 2007, titled Safeway opens big new Kapahulu store. In it, The Honolulu Advertiser reports that:

Photo gallery: New Safeway opening in Kapahulu Video: New Safeway aims at upscale shoppers StoryChat: Comment on this story A view of the front of the new Safeway complex, the first in the chain's "lifestyle" ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Honolulu Advertiser.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
MADE IN HAWAII

Haiku, HI

#1 Nov 9, 2007
And whenever there is something new there is always people who may complain. Best solution? patience. Don't let that stress over take your feeling of spending a day.=)
neutral

United States

#2 Nov 9, 2007
I was recently in the islands and did drive by this new location. It seems like it is very nicely done since I had worked at the service station that was there many moons ago!! Hopefully the traffic will continue to flow as best it can with very minimal stoppage. If traffic does get a little too congested in that area, what would probably help is to eliminate a few street parking in and around that area. But I wish the operation well and I had commented to friends earlier that I think it was very nicely built and seemed very organized. Good Luck to all!!
charles iida

Santa Ana, CA

#3 Nov 9, 2007
people just have to go with the new and stop liveing the old be thankful for what you have now.
Kapahulu resident

Kapaa, HI

#4 Nov 9, 2007
Traffic..so what? This is Oahu, get used to it. Walk or catch the bus if parking is a problem for you. As for me, I going check it out. Safeway, here we come! It's a welcome change to have valet parking, too.
Dorothy

AOL

#5 Nov 9, 2007
which bus line serves this Safeway?
oahu resident

Honolulu, HI

#6 Nov 9, 2007
There will always be complainers just like with the superferry. To all you complainers out there, get a life!
Environmentalist

United States

#7 Nov 9, 2007
Was an EIS done for this project?

Since: Sep 07

Honolulu, HI

#8 Nov 9, 2007
Should have made them do an EIS.
LivesNearThere

San Diego, CA

#9 Nov 9, 2007
Bus #14 goes right by there.

Why doesn't Safeway consider encouraging or requiring their employees to carpool or take the bus? 300+ employees each driving their own cars takes up a lot of parking & sure adds to the traffic jam.

This is a good addition to the area.
blast

Cloverdale, CA

#10 Nov 9, 2007
Will this Safeway offer the delivery service Safeway.com
Yun Yi

Washington, DC

#11 Nov 9, 2007
It's times like this when I hope developers and council members learn the importance of smart live-walk-work communities. Focus on public transportation, bike paths, and safe crosswalks. Yes we lack the space here on the islands but I hope our Leeward side will make the effort to start anew and learn from the ill-fated efforts of development in "town".
C Kahiapo

Kula, HI

#12 Nov 9, 2007
With all the hype on traffic in the already conjested Kapahulu Ave., I think, in time, it will be traffic as usual once all the festivities taper off. The entrance in and out of the center via Leialoha St. and the turning lane on Kapahulu Ave. is a major plus. As a Kaneohe resident, I frequent that area alot and will definately make it a point to patronize the new Safeway complex.
neutral

United States

#13 Nov 9, 2007
In this day and age, I believe that no matter which city or state you are in, traffic will always be there and will always be an adventure!! Best practice is to allow more than enough time and just be patient in any traffic condition. But it really is a nicely done addition to the area, I do remember the previous markets that were there and it was a great service to the community. Now the area residents can have a choice of Foodland or Safeway. I will be back in town again in December and I look forward to mingling around that center.
clayton lum

United States

#14 Nov 9, 2007
i was just home on a vacation. I agree that the traffic is at a high level. I agree that Safeway is well needed for the area residents and local businesses.

I wish the best for the new store and hope the traffic problems for the residents workout. I have a friend who lives on Olu St and I can see the problems.

Aloha,

Clayton Lum
kalico

Honolulu, HI

#15 Nov 9, 2007
I've been driving by there to Waikiki for a while and the store looks really beautiful.

Last night driving up Kapahulu, the cars in front were backed up already onto the road.

This morning i saw a couple people on the sidewalk holding the sign to please not block their driveway which i was already doing since the light turned red on me. And the look of consternation on the face of one driver trying to come out of the apartment light and see a solid line of cars coming down Kapahulu to her. Hopefully she made it to whereever she was going on time.

It may have been better if the light had been placed at the middle Kapahulu entrance to the stores, since that would give those residents in the apartment some relief.

Looking at the Store i also couldnt understand why there was no setback area for the bus. A supermarket (anyone not just Safeway) usually has a higher number of bus riders. And not having a bus having to load and unload people in a traffic lane would definitely have helped.

Well all of this is too late. Doesn't hindsight work great.
L u Ope

Honolulu, HI

#16 Nov 9, 2007
Is it just me or anybody else miss Diamond Head vid'. Sniff, sniff. I know new location, but, THAT location could be all private, nobody hahdly see you :) .
Rollie Gandor

Schaumburg, IL

#17 Nov 9, 2007
There is no bus service that goes from west of Kapulu (central Waikiki west) to this Safeway. We used to have a bus, 313 I think, that went from Waikiki to Kaimuki along Kapahulu - no more. Also, Safeway needs a full service deli, bakery and Chinese Express like their mainland stores.

Since: Sep 07

Kailua

#18 Nov 9, 2007
Environmentalist wrote:
Was an EIS done for this project?
Was public funds used to upgade public infrastrucuture? No - unlike the Superferry.
However, other safegurads were in place to try and mitiagte adverse impacts the project might have (hence the traffic studies and community meetings, appereacnes before the Neighborhood Board), and unlike Lingle and the HSF, Hannemann and SAfeway did not try to skirt the law. The article clearly states that Safeway modifeid its plans in repsonse to community concerns. Had HSF done so three years ago, and not waited for the courts and Legislture to tram those concerns down their throats, we all might be happily riding the HSF to the other islands by now.
haloti

San Juan Capistrano, CA

#19 Nov 9, 2007
!!! think destination !!! i wouldn't be surprised to see a theater chain and maybe a Walmart or Kmart plus many more restaurants in the next 5 years in this area. This will finally get the tourist to go past Hee Hing and the locals will love this new destination too.
wasiwasi83

AOL

#20 Nov 9, 2007
I am soooo EXCITED to have Safeway in Kapahulu! Now when my husband and I come out from Waianae to visit our son and his girlfriend in Kapahulu, we can stop by on the way home, instead of getting off the freeway to go to the Kapolei - Safeway (which I love,) but this is very convenient! It's also in walking distance from their home - great exercise :)

I feel for the people who are complaining about traffic and blocked driveway's. I grew up in Kapahulu and can empathize w/them. But you chose to live on a small island. Progress and revitalization of this neighborhood is also important and good for business too.

If you're so unhappy in Kapahulu, we invite you to move to the Leeward Coast - God's country! AND, like I said, the nearest Safeway is in Kapolei!

Aloha!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Safeway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I hate Safeway. (Feb '10) Sat reatilmisfit 149
pricing out singles Sep '17 single person pri... 1
Long libes Aug '17 J dz 1
Safeway vs Kroger Jun '17 Kingstoopids 1
Dotcom? As a personal shopper (Jan '17) Jan '17 domnic 1
Bothell WA Safeway #535 employees are quitting ... (Jul '16) Dec '16 Christina 2
Safeway Executive Thiefs (Feb '14) Oct '16 Getmeout 6
More from around the web