Food makers, retailers at odds over c...

Food makers, retailers at odds over costs

There are 11 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Mar 16, 2009, titled Food makers, retailers at odds over costs. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

In this Oct. 10, 2007, file photo, a customer shops in the meat department at a Safeway store in San Francisco.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

dbski4it

United States

#1 Mar 16, 2009
If only Chico had a Walmart supercenter. Food prices would be lower at all stores in Chico.
Farmer

United States

#2 Mar 16, 2009
Current wheat prices farmers receive are HALF of what they were a year ago. And diesel prices are HALF of what they were as well. So, what is the excuse for the pricing? It is not the farmer that is gouging...
Joe Sixpack

Monmouth Junction, NJ

#3 Mar 16, 2009
The Republic Party's answer, I'm sure, is to outsource the remaining American food factories to China because it's cheaper. Plus, there's no government interference, like those pesky health standards and other stuff the environmentalist "wackos" want. Right Wally?
here we go again

United States

#4 Mar 16, 2009
it called corporate greed, and it doesn't stop at wall street. those who run companies thing they are god's and feel 2 million a year for wages is acceptable, not including the possibility of 2 million more in bonuses, for sitting at a desk maybe 2 days a week(when not playing golf with the other crooks in the mix) to sign a paper where all the work was done by the $12.00 an hour stiff. I'm so sick of corporate puke taking our money so they can build the house on the hill with it's security gates etc. Why do they need security because they don't want the real people to get to them, because they know they are crooks and need protection from the rest of society. when do you think the last time one of these pukes even shopped for food, or pumped their own gas? I would say back when they were the $12.00 an hour stiff, just goes to show you don't need a college education to be a crook, but it makes it legal. nuff said
panther for life

Chico, CA

#5 Mar 16, 2009
I have been buying off brand groceries and even they have their prices higher then before but lower than the major brands . So you see it all about them all being thievies what s the difference they are all crooks one way or another we all get screwed so they make their bottom line " PROFIT " I am not a big walmart shopper but do agree if we had a walmart supercenter we would be able to shop and save $$$$ to provide for our families .
Rita Kane

Chico, CA

#6 Mar 16, 2009
dbski4it wrote:
If only Chico had a Walmart supercenter. Food prices would be lower at all stores in Chico.
If Chico had that walmart there wouldn't be any other stores in Chico. Walmart destroys community wherever it goes.
lee

Chico, CA

#7 Mar 16, 2009
Safeway,Savemart,Railys are rip offs to start with.
lee

Chico, CA

#8 Mar 16, 2009
canned corn,beans,peas,carriotst the only difference
is when they were picked the pepole that can this stuff will put any label you want on them.i know i worked for in a few canneries when i was a kid.
lee

Chico, CA

#9 Mar 16, 2009
So whats wrong with that Sears,Penneys,or any other
store that sells the same thing MADE IN CHINA OR HAVE YOU NOT LOOKED AT THE CRAP YOU BUY,TV VCR,DVD,COMPUTERS ANY THING MADE IN CHINA.
chris

United States

#10 Mar 16, 2009
I buy only stuff that is on SALE at the food stores.
but it all comes down to corporate greed.
native1resident

Burbank, CA

#11 Mar 16, 2009
Most of these comments show how stupid the person is that made them. Only three comments have facts that are supported with truth. The rest of the comments are based on emotion, sarcaism and just plain make believe.
OBAMA is attemping to change the populations thinking process about government. He and the leaders of both houses of Congress are speaking out of both sides of their mouths with different statements. As an example, watch the YouTube video of the 2004 House Sub Committee on housing. Barney Frank is speaking and shows he has nothing upstairs. Compare that show with the one that happened a few weeks ago. Barney Frank is speaking again. This time he is condeming himself and does not even remember what he said in 2004.
It reminds me of Bill Clinton and his understanding or LACK THERE OF, concerning the meaning of the word, "IS."
With these smart minded people running the country we will all have the mark of the beast in our foreheads and will not know it or what it means.
How in the world could you people vote in office, "Dum and Dumerer."
Granted, Senator McCain was not any better. All smart business folks were gone in the primaries.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Safeway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Conflict of interest Aug 26 retail misfit 2
New : Why you hate Safeway Update (Jun '14) Jul '15 retailmisfit 3
I hate Safeway. (Feb '10) Jun '15 nayname 103
News Safeway closing 9 stores in metro Denver May '15 Victor 2
Tiny gold-brown bugs in Morton Salt (Sep '07) May '15 SeraSaraBlu 41
Safeway New Employee (Feb '15) Feb '15 michaelvu12 1
Not enough cashiers (Nov '14) Nov '14 Bruce Lee 1
More from around the web