Cerberus Thinks Supervalu Is A Super Value

Jan 6, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Seeking Alpha

I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it .

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Jun 21, 2013
Lititz Karen

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Where does ACME fall into play here??? You have lots of people wondering what will happen with them. Are they considered part of Supervalu???
Sean

Reading, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Supervalu owns Acme, and is not one of the chains being purchased.
Robinson Crawford

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Acme is crap and will be liquidated piecemeal through an auction of leases!! There are too many supermarkets in Philadelphia area. Also, Shaws in New England will be liquidated as well. The Acme and Shaws banners will disappear, similar to Genuardi's.
will

Gray, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Supervalu is selling ACME along with the other chains it bought from Albertsons. Essentially Supervalu is reverting to its pre-2006 footprint.
turnoutthelights

Bryn Mawr, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Robinson Crawford wrote:
Acme is crap and will be liquidated piecemeal through an auction of leases!! There are too many supermarkets in Philadelphia area. Also, Shaws in New England will be liquidated as well. The Acme and Shaws banners will disappear, similar to Genuardi's.
Acme was done by the late 80s early 90s. Then when the Walmarts and Dollars stores started selling food that was the end because now when people bought their dry goods, cheaper they weren't even in the market to buy meat, eggs, milk etc. The old fullline supermarkets failed to learn how to compete. The 1950s model including the ASSumption that people would always buy local has been long gone. The problem is that many of the young folk in the supermarket business learned off the old folk and that outdated 1950s supermarket model.

Acme is such a feline when it comes to competition that when they signed a lease in a shopping center they stipulated other stores couldn't advertise food(they've sold for years) or put in freezer/refrigeration aisles.

I will say onething about Acme until the last decade the employees gave a little better customer service probably because of their union wages which made them give a frack-a little more anyway.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Safeway Discussions

Search the Safeway Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bugs in Kosher Salt Jul 20 Cindy H 1
Tiny gold-brown bugs in Morton Salt (Sep '07) Jul 18 Dani 38
I hate Safeway. (Feb '10) Jul 16 Young male under 30 91
Sobeys to close underperforming stores, cut job... Jun '14 Funk 1
New : Why you hate Safeway Update Jun '14 Retail Misfit 1
Altria Group: An Attractive Investment Apr '14 Chuckles 1
I'm bringing Slaveway Back (Sep '09) Mar '14 Chillaxn 8
•••
•••