Dominick's sets 'lifestyle' goals -- ...

Dominick's sets 'lifestyle' goals -- Food and Dining Culture, C...

There are 132 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 31, 2008, titled Dominick's sets 'lifestyle' goals -- Food and Dining Culture, C.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Don Keprta strolls past an assortment of fancy cheeses at a Dominick's in Chicago's Ukrainian Village neighborhood, pointing out the wine selection directly behind.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Lara

Lake Forest, IL

#124 Apr 2, 2008
I remember the old A&P. Those were the days.
former chicagoan

AOL

#126 Apr 2, 2008
dominicks is ridiculous
D-Man

Chicago, IL

#127 Apr 7, 2008
Dominick's is way over priced, same items at jewel $1-$2 cheaper. When Dominick's was family owned they would nickle and dime the competitors, now it's Dollars wnd less service. you walk into a Dominick's and although there is 3 or 4 people behind the Deli counter, you can't find an employee in the store. And when it's time to check out, 1 maybe 2 cashiers, no bagger. Go to the service desk and wait because the service desk girl is at the regular lane register. give me a break. Dominick's claims traditional grocery stores are struggling, but look at Jewel they are doing fine.

Dominick's is too worried about Wal-mart and super target, well worry about Dominick's, Wal-mart and Target don't have the selection that Jewel and Dominick's has.
A Worker

United States

#128 Sep 3, 2008
Why thank you. I've worked in the pharmacy quite a few times at the Clybourn and Fullerton store at Dominick's. It's about time someone said something nice about the pharmacy department.=)
Cubs fan wrote:
I go to the Dominicks at Clybourn and Fullerton and the cashiers are very friendly there. I've been going to that store for over 20 years. It helps if you smile and are courteous to the people that work there. Over the years I've seen yuppies coming in and kind of push their way around the store.
My hats goes off to the pharmacy staff, always friendly and helpful and Connie the cashier is the best.
FORMER DOMINICKS MANAGER

Louisville, KY

#129 Sep 6, 2008
"]Dominick's also needs to improve customer service by the people that work in the stores. Consistently poor/rude service is why I gave up shopping there. There are a few really good employees at my local store, but there are still too many bad ones to make it worth
Please see the store manager.I am a former manager that was laid off but i beleive in the service program. The employees have been trained very well.
FORMER DOMINICKS MANAGER

Louisville, KY

#130 Sep 6, 2008
Lara wrote:
I remember the old A&P. Those were the days.
Times change they could not keep up!
FORMER DOMINICKS MANAGER

Louisville, KY

#131 Sep 6, 2008
the riddler wrote:
bottom line of everything said here is:
safeway only wants to deal with the rich customers. they can care less if the stores in the low income areas fall to the ground. they also try anyway they can to get rid of the top scale workers. i currently work overnight alone at the store i work at. they sent my coworker to a lifestyle store. they claim they are trying to get someone for 7 dollars or whatever the wages are now. who in their right mind is going to work for low wages overnight with no benefits? safeway is only after filling the investors pockets and the clown steve burds. safeway doesn't really care what the customers or workers think of them. they are pig headed. safeway uses their service program to get customers thinking wow the workers are so nice and friendly. most of the workers are nice and friendly without the fake program. if u are not going to be friendly then why the hell would u work in the service industry. while the workers are giving the customers service the company keeps raising the prices on the merchandise. safeway thinks that if u get good service u should be willing to pay higher prices for the goods. safeways charities are also a scam. all u guys that give money at safeway owned companies are giving the money to steve burd. safeway actually keeps the money for a while and collects interest off every penny u give towards their charities. so not every penny goes to the charities. as for the reason u need a discount card safeway does sell your info to other companies. safeway may sell it to telemarketing companies or to the companies that send u junk mail. i am sure they would deny it if asked. pretty much everything that has been said by the corporate people at safeway is a lie. they keep lieing to get people to invest in their stock again which keeps falling.
Riddler you need
to rethink your profession.People today are shopping at discount stores to save money.In the burbs of the big cities people are going to target, cosco and walmart.The major grocery chains can not compete because of the buying power walmart and cosco has on everyday items You remind me of the employee that complains but does not want to put in a hards day work.You have the choice to work there.If you dont like it work at another grocery store.
FORMER DOMINICKS MANAGER

Louisville, KY

#132 Sep 6, 2008
Sue wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, Safeway had bought and sold Dominicks once before if I recall correctly and that is when I have noticed the decline in quality, selection and service.
Safeway bought dominicks in 1998.They have never sold dominicks since that date.
FORMER DOMINICKS MANAGER

Louisville, KY

#133 Sep 6, 2008
shopper wrote:
Who shops at Dominic's when there's Costco. Dominics is too expensive.
Costco is a great place to shop because they have a very low wage expense because they are non union and have greater buying power.
the riddler

AOL

#134 Sep 6, 2008
i am here to bring down safeway. they ruin everything they touch. they bought dominicks and destroyed that in no time at all. the only thing that keeps safeway alive at all is pocketing money that is supposed to go to charity.
Jeff-Hulk-hemp

AOL

#135 Oct 23, 2008
As of right now Dominick's union members going thur contract negotiations .We hope you all support us !
Wow

Hanover Park, IL

#136 Nov 2, 2009
I shop at Dominicks a lot. I think it has good prices, and Jewel seriously sucks. One time I bought stuff from there and half of it was spoiled, and the meat had some weird live worm stuff in it. I don't even BOTHER to go into Jewel, they are horrible with everything. Dominicks is decent, good, and has sales like almost every week. I have no idea where people get this bad stuff from even!
Dominicks forever.=D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Safeway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I hate Safeway. (Feb '10) Jan 11 Carmagreeden 131
Dotcom? As a personal shopper Jan 4 domnic 1
Bothell WA Safeway #535 employees are quitting ... Dec '16 Christina 2
Safeway Executive Thiefs (Feb '14) Oct '16 Getmeout 6
News Altria Group: An Attractive Investment (Apr '14) Jul '16 Mugs mahone 2
Conflict of interest (Aug '15) Jul '16 Leigho 4
News Safeway closing 9 stores in metro Denver (May '15) Jul '16 Leigho 4
More from around the web