Dominick's sets 'lifestyle' goals -- Food and Dining Culture, C...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Don Keprta strolls past an assortment of fancy cheeses at a Dominick's in Chicago's Ukrainian Village neighborhood, pointing out the wine selection directly behind.
Comments
1 - 20 of 132 Comments Last updated Nov 2, 2009
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Lara

Woodridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

Dominick's also needs to improve customer service by the people that work in the stores. Consistently poor/rude service is why I gave up shopping there. There are a few really good employees at my local store, but there are still too many bad ones to make it worth the hassle.
Sue

Naperville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

Dominick's is expensive. Why would I shop there when I can get similiar products for much less elsewhere. Also, I have had a few experiences where items were spoiled or beyond their shelf-life being sold.
shopper

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

Who shops at Dominic's when there's Costco. Dominics is too expensive.
city dude

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

Where is Dominick's? Unless you live in one of those traffic-bound neighborhoods on the near north side or downtown, really -- where are they?

There's one in Oak Lawn at 87th and Cicero. There's one in Buffalo Grove on Half Day Road. What happened to the others?
Sara

Woodridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

Dear Dominicks,

Here is a suggestion. Why don't you lower your prices? Stop jacking up the price of our food. You will get more business. I promise.

Have a nice day.
Happy it closed

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

The best thing that ever happened in South Elgin was the close of Dominick's and the opening of Caputo's. The parking lot has never been busier!
Roy

Algonquin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

Judged:

How many times had Dominick's embarked on reinventing themselves? As mentioned in the earlier post, the employees are key to successful roll-out of any new concept. In the case of Dominick's, they need to rid themselves of the surly, overpaid union goons first!
Cee

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

Shoot, Dominick's lost my business when they took out their vegetarian/organic section. That was the only reason I went there.
the riddler

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

safeway is so crooked they continue to lie through their teeth about their plans for dominicks. man where are the people that investigate crooks like safeway? i mean they got enron for their games they need to go after steve burd. the man keeps pocketing all the money he can before he goes to prison, i am waiting for someone to buy out safeway and fire burd. burd thinks that if he keeps having people make up fake garbage the stock will go back up. steve burd quit while u are ahead,
Lorisdailydose

Warrenville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

Dominick's used to be a wnderful store- 15 years ago. Safeway has managed to alienate customers in the Chicago area. Prices at Dominick's are higher than any other store in the area.

Unless it is truly a sale item, or I am looking for a specialty item, I avoid Dominick's and shop at Aldi, Woodman's, WalMart and Jewel, with an occasional trip to Butera or Caputo's.

Roundy's is certainly welcome to try the area. Dominick's is no competition, and just wasted millions of dollars trying to appeal to upscalers. The average person is feeling the pinch, no matter if he or she perceives it from the war or ethanol. Bring in the quality grocery store with reasonable prices! Dominick's will not be included in the list.
the riddler

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

safeway ruined dominicks and will continue to ruin it as long as they stay in chicago. safeway needs to sell and walk away. the moral at the stores was destroyed by safeway. safeway will do anything to get rid of the long time employees. the new workers don't care about the customers. they are just there to collect a pay check. so all the blame of dominicks going down is all caused by safeway.
Dan - Riverside

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

Safeway-Dominicks abandoned us in their MBA fit of arrogance, and left potential for the taking. Super Tony's eventually took over the property, invested in people and architecture, and voila!, a full parking lot with per-square-foot revenue that Safeway could only salivate over.
Judi J

Naperville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

I live in Naperville and go to the Dominick's on North Aurora Road. I love this store. Disappointed about the organic food department taken out because there are a lot of things I bought there like the tofu ice cream and such as I cannot eat ice cream. That was a big disappointment. but the customer service at my Dominick's is fantastic. the people at the registers are so helpful and when you walk in, they greet you right away when they see you, they help you find things or reach something for you if you cannot, they always have a smile for everyone and after I had my stroke, they were more than helpful to me during a time that was very confusing. I have gotten some good prices there and yes, some things are high. When that is the case, I buy that item elsewhere. Now the Jewel here close has rude employees.
Dick

Hinsdale, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

I think it is sad that a metropolitan area the size of Chicago has such a poor selection of grocery store choices. Both Jewel, and Domonicks are bland and ordinary. Can you really tell the difference between the two? There are many nicer, more upscale, stores scattered around the country. But we, in the third largest population center in the U.S. have limited, uninspired, and boring shopping choices.
Andy

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

I think they need to concentrate less on the image of the store and concentrate on the actual substance. It always amazes me when a huge chain comes in, buys a local store, then takes out all the local flavor of the store. And then is absolutely confounded when people stop shopping at that store. Case in point: Marshall Fields... er, Macy's. Anyway, they take out all the local stuff and put Safeway brand products in and wonder why people switch their shopping over to Jewel or Treasure Island... where they can get all their local favorites.

These big corporations really need to hire a local Marketing firm before making choices for us. And for the record, I could care less if the store looks like a glorified Starbucks. I want local, and upscale brands. Something no corporation outside of Chicago has figured out yet.
Sly 1

Glen Ellyn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

I rather pay more to shop at Dominicks than go to stores like aldi and caputo's. At least I can understand the language of the people who shop there.
Former Local

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

I used to shop at the Dominick’s on north Broadway all the time.

Since their (second!) re-invention I won’t even go in there to buy a pack of gum or a newspaper.

I’ve never seen or heard of a remodeling job that created a more cramped, poorly lit store, with less shelf space and FEWER products.

It seems they’re trying (at that location at least) to ape the look or feel of a Whole Foods and they’ve failed miserably in every respect.

The selection has been cut in half and what remains is either their own Safeway brands or high-priced “boutique- style” items.

I don’t see how such a change could possible appeal to anyone in that neighborhood with the possible exception of folks from the high-rises on Sheridan road or newly-transplanted Yuppie types who are moving into the neighborhood now that it’s getting trendy.

I’m not alone in my dissatisfaction and abandonment of the store.

Many many many long-time locals won’t shop there anymore either.

We will actually drive all the way up to the Jewel on Howard Street for our groceries for s hopping experience that doesn’t reek of faux neuvo-rich haughtiness.

I suspect that these decisions are being made in some far-away boardroom without any consideration for or knowledge of the actual denizens of the neighborhoods where these stores are located or their shopping habits or needs.

Awful decisions that are driving customers away en masse.

What are they thinking???
K-Los

Stewartstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

Dominick's would do much better investing the money into improved customer service. I receive horrible customer service when I go to their stores and that is the reason I pay more to go to Whole Foods and Trader Joes. How can you be an upscale without providing great customer service? Too many times I see employees hanging around having conversations while customers are waiting in long lines.
Geoff

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

Dominik's should hang it up. We already have "lifestyle" grocery stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Dominik's is going to have a lot of catching up to do to compete. I doubt it's possible. I used to shop at the Dominik's on Broadway and Barry (the one that burned down 3 years ago that Dominik's still hasn't rebuilt), and it was like shopping in Russia -- huge lines, empty shelves, wretched service, food past its expiration date. If Dominik's can't get those sort of basics right, how on earth are they going to transform themselves into a "lifestyle" store? Some corporate drone came up with this idea to save his/her job for another couple of years. This idea will fail, guaranteed.
Formerly from Illinois

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2008

I used to shop at the Dominicks on Lee and Oakton in DesPlaines and the Jewel across the street. When we first moved to Wisconsin, I couldn't believe how much cheaper their food is up here. We have Piggly Wiggly, Pick 'N Save, Sentry and Walmart Supercenter. Dominicks and Jewel need to take lessons from some out of state stores on how to price their merchandise.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Safeway Discussions

Search the Safeway Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bugs in Kosher Salt Jul 20 Cindy H 1
Tiny gold-brown bugs in Morton Salt (Sep '07) Jul 18 Dani 38
I hate Safeway. (Feb '10) Jul 16 Young male under 30 91
Sobeys to close underperforming stores, cut job... Jun '14 Funk 1
New : Why you hate Safeway Update Jun '14 Retail Misfit 1
Altria Group: An Attractive Investment Apr '14 Chuckles 1
I'm bringing Slaveway Back (Sep '09) Mar '14 Chillaxn 8
•••
•••