I hate Safeway.
Memyselfi

Pleasanton, CA

#24 Apr 8, 2011
Deloris wrote:
Donna you are 100% correct when you say safeway treats the employees like robots. You are also correct when you say they need to hire more people.They work you to death and the more you try to do for them the more they expect.
When I started working for safeway over 37 years ago it was a great place to work. They treated the employees with dignity and respect. They paid well and the benefits were great. Then Steve Burd took the reins. That is when safeway started going down the toilet!! Every year it gets worse and worse. Safeway treats the employees very badly and keeps taking more and more benefits away and paying less and less, while the Burd man and his cronies get bigger and fatter bonuses and raises. I worked in the stores and also worked at the "so called help desk" for safeway and believe me working at the helpdesk was even more awful than working in the store. You wouldn't believe some of the rules they impose on the helpdesk employees.
My advice is, if at all possible, get the heck out of safeway before it either kills you or you go totally insane!!!
Sounds like you guys are just losers that don't work. Lazy and rude. You have no idea how corporate works. Once you figure that out, maybe you'll get a job you like. Oh, and retail and helpdesk - shitty jobs to begin with.
Calgary AB

Calgary, Canada

#25 May 22, 2011
Yeah, that's it. We're all lazy and rude.
Tell you what - when we get bonuses or incentives beyond cold pizza or store-bought lasagna as a reward lunch, then come talk to me.
I regularly have at least an hour overtime on my cheque because of all the extra tasks that I have to do because Safeway wills it so. I work my ass off, and unless they're outright abusive to me (which, they sometimes are), I'm always pleasant and friendly.
The Sales Force crap they make us do is just crap, and as little as I can get away with doing, I do. No customer wants to have bullshit forced down their throat when they're just trying to get groceries, and corporate needs to realize that.
As for management? A customer was abusive and swearing at one of the cashiers, and yeah, the cashier got rude. When the manager heard the abuse, he not only apologized, but got the guy a cake and a $25 Safeway gift card and made the cashier apologize.
So there's the moral of the story, kids.
Hopefully we strike soon.(And no, it's not just about money. Strike pay is half of what I make now.)
Stiffy

Molalla, OR

#26 Jul 10, 2011
Dear memyselfi-
Sounds to me like someone is a corporate taint sucker! Obviously you haven't worked at Safeway cuz yes they do run us to the ground. It took me 4 years to get up to a 40 raise. WTF!? Are you kidding me?!? And obviously we do know how corporate works but do they know how we work?! Have they ever came in to do a closing shift? Or have a customer call them a bitch cuz they had to wait to long? Screw them and screw you. Work a day in our shoes cuz buddy YOU have no clue how hard WE Safeway employees work and the BULLSHIT we have to put up with.
jake

Chico, CA

#27 Aug 1, 2011
Just want you to know that the charity drive is a scam to make Burd look good. Employees are whipped into submission to make them ask you for money.
Xangxuia

Portland, OR

#28 Aug 26, 2011
I don't work there, but I wanna slap myself everytime a set foot into the place...This time it was the promise of fresh, local heirloom tomatoes that lured me in. What do I find? About 7 mushy, moldy, friutfly-infested "heirlooms".$5.99/lb . W. T. F. Do they really think someone is going to buy that shit? Most of their produce is pretty rough. wtf are they doing??
Tulmara

Winnipeg, Canada

#29 Sep 7, 2011
I've been working at Safeway for about 9 years now, I enjoy my work and only work the amount of hour I want, being part time I can get away with that. I am now at top rate and am very happy with my wages and benefits. Of course the main reason I am happy with my job is because I chose to work nights and try to avoid seeing management as much as possible. The management at the store I work are there as because the District manager does not like them, for good reason I might add, they are really bad at their jobs, they also love to spend hours watching the security tapes so they can write people up for the smallest of mistakes. Lately they have been writing up the cashiers for not making enough small talk with the customers.

Does anyone know if the managers get a bonus if they write up enough employees, because at the store where I work they have been writing people up on average one person a week (not their favorites of course).
screwed

Long Beach, CA

#30 Sep 30, 2011
Tulmara wrote:
I've been working at Safeway for about 9 years now, I enjoy my work and only work the amount of hour I want, being part time I can get away with that. I am now at top rate and am very happy with my wages and benefits. Of course the main reason I am happy with my job is because I chose to work nights and try to avoid seeing management as much as possible. The management at the store I work are there as because the District manager does not like them, for good reason I might add, they are really bad at their jobs, they also love to spend hours watching the security tapes so they can write people up for the smallest of mistakes. Lately they have been writing up the cashiers for not making enough small talk with the customers.
Does anyone know if the managers get a bonus if they write up enough employees, because at the store where I work they have been writing people up on average one person a week (not their favorites of course).
Nah, no bonus for them writing people up but a huge bonus for high shop scores enough of a bonus to ruin somebodies livelihood. Look at it this way, if you get written up, they can't transfer you for x amount of months. Good in my book since you're a thorn in their side for not being absolutely phoney.
girliewy

Great Falls, MT

#31 Nov 27, 2011
stupid wyoming store in RIVERTON safeway have the worst cashiers ever, because there is only like 4 cashiers total(including deli and liquor store)they r always bitchy to customers there.I comlained and called customer service several times ,and called there manager, they seem do not care and today some stupid cashier"rose" made me scan my pepsi boxes myself and said that she couldnt push like a key pad for how many boxes i had, so i had to scan each pack myself, she explained later she has tummy ache and started to laugh,so as the huge line of people behind me in line i dont know if this is because i have an accent or whats going on,it seems like each time um there they making fun of me.hate driving for an hour just to go to different store, but maybe thats what i will have to do, form now on.
Winco Rules

Tacoma, WA

#32 Dec 21, 2011
For one thing every Winco store is clean and up to date facility.

Safeway has stores in distressed areas that look like they can use some help. When asked if there going to fix the problems they said the math systems that are in place for such expendatures are not adding up at this time.

Besides that WINCO will take my money without asking me for personal info in front of other people.
intheshadows

Winnipeg, Canada

#33 Jan 5, 2012
Tulmara wrote:
I've been working at Safeway for about 9 years now, I enjoy my work and only work the amount of hour I want, being part time I can get away with that. I am now at top rate and am very happy with my wages and benefits. Of course the main reason I am happy with my job is because I chose to work nights and try to avoid seeing management as much as possible. The management at the store I work are there as because the District manager does not like them, for good reason I might add, they are really bad at their jobs, they also love to spend hours watching the security tapes so they can write people up for the smallest of mistakes. Lately they have been writing up the cashiers for not making enough small talk with the customers.
Does anyone know if the managers get a bonus if they write up enough employees, because at the store where I work they have been writing people up on average one person a week (not their favorites of course).
You're my twin!(I'm also from Winnipeg, 9 years there, all at night, and I like not having to see management)But i'm looking to get a career now. I don't really want to be the lead hand when the old guys retire or go part-time. Fuck Slaveway. It's getting worse, unless Burd dies or gets replaced.
intheshadows

Winnipeg, Canada

#34 Jan 5, 2012
lovely comments on Burd..



Also I've contemplated slashing the store manager's tires.
Employee

Victoria, Canada

#35 Jan 17, 2012
Deloris wrote:
Every year it gets worse and worse. Safeway treats the employees very badly and keeps taking more and more benefits away and paying less and less, while the Burd man and his cronies get bigger and fatter bonuses and raises.
I'm not saying that Safeway is a dream to work at, but let's be honest it's better than any other comparable job. What other grocery store is going to pay $24 / hour without an education and up to 10 weeks paid holiday / ato time!? People need to stop complaining about how awful it is and remember there are other options that would pay a lot less.
Another Employee

Calgary, Canada

#36 Jan 18, 2012
It pays fantastic, yes.

But they cap our hours so they can have us there as little as possible and won't let anyone be full-time. I've applied for full-time because I -want- to be there. I've even been offered my own department at another store, but I like where I'm at.

And some of the management treats their employees like crap. We had one white-shirt who liked to look at your chest when he talked to you. I had a customer who was insanely verbally abusive to me, was swearing at me to the point that I was about to cry, and when I pointed this out to the white-shirt-in-training, his response was "Well, he's the customer."

Yes, it's not every store, but from the sounds of it, it's a lot of stores. And money's fine, money's great, even, but some respect would be nice, or some recognition when you work your ass off day in and day out and aren't even allowed to charge overtime for the breaks you miss because they don't schedule enough people and you have to work through them.

I've been there three years, and I'm not going anywhere because I do genuinely love my job, but I think the company itself needs a wake-up call, because judging from the Facebook page, it's not just the employees that are unhappy, it's a lot of customers.
Boston

Cathedral City, CA

#37 Mar 17, 2012
WOW. Get a life to all you Safeway haters. You went to them for a job, they didnt come to you. If it's so bad, then quit. Most of you sound like the type of people who think everything is owed to you in life because your a courtesy clerk or part time checker........sounds rough. Whether you work at Safeway or not, there will always be complaints that employees have with there jobs........get over it.
idiotsthesedays

Chatsworth, CA

#38 Jul 30, 2012
Boston wrote:
WOW. Get a life to all you Safeway haters. You went to them for a job, they didnt come to you. If it's so bad, then quit. Most of you sound like the type of people who think everything is owed to you in life because your a courtesy clerk or part time checker........sounds rough. Whether you work at Safeway or not, there will always be complaints that employees have with there jobs........get over it.
Maybe people don't have a choice moron. Yeah, let's just quit and no longer have an income. No longer be able to pay their mortgage, their car insurance, etc. The economy is terrible and a lot of employees at safeway feel like they don't have a choice since they've put so many years in and earn benefits and decent pay that they're not going to earn with a fresh start somewhere else. Some of them can't just quit because they don't like their job. Not everyone is a spoiled teenager with rich parents. Think before you comment. That's why you have a brain.
Dan

Edmonton, Canada

#39 Aug 19, 2012
My manager at Bonnie Doon, Wayne Vickery is so arrogant. He thinks he is superior to the staff. He treats us like second class citizens. So many people are offended by him and quit. Is it so hard to treat us with respect? Remember, you were once a lowly produce clerk. The ego some people get when they have a little authority.
MMMMMM

Gaithersburg, MD

#40 Sep 14, 2012
Cashiers see the least of the hour cuts, it's been rough for everyone but cashiers have the lowest right to complain, all you do is ring out 10 more people an hour, and call the cash office teller when you have a long line. This doesn't compare to the 2 extra aisles each night stocker has to throw up every night. There used to be 4-6 stockers plus a grocery manager in most stores around where i am every night, it's gone down to 1-2 stockers with the same stock order/ business in the store. On top of this management is going downhill, doing less work on their own and making less money because of the failed audits they get week to week. Corporate is obviously lying when they say hours are based on business. They are taking advantage of the business slump in retail overall, but the grocery business is not seeing the same slump as the clothing or other retail business are suffering, it's an obvious "get away with what you can" salary plan. The company is going to go downhill just like Giant, but they're dumb enogh not to see it. And the union will sit back and spit on us. This is just the way things are. If you can't handle it then quit the job, cause it won't get better anytime soon.
Josh

Colorado Springs, CO

#41 Oct 6, 2012
With all do respect to the people who have never worked at safeway and feel they are as entitled to speak poorly of the "disgruntled" employees; you found this link because you probably looked up something on google that has some correlation to the words "I hate safeway". Correct me if i'm wrong but the fact you even took the time to post negatively about us employees on THIS particular website is a little contradictory is it not? Considering this topic is hating safeway and why. I see many good people everyday busting their asses and slaving away without the help they need, fake a smile and treat customers like royalty in hopes of some recognition. They recieve none. You get no bonus, no promotion, and rarely even a good job or a thank you. They have every reason to post this way. How exclusively ignorant do you have to be to so impulsively judge the people who bag YOUR groceries, stock YOUR food, and put up with YOUR malignant attitude? There are great and poor workers evrywhere you go but to the people who do their job the best they can every single day to make sure YOU get the best possible service with nothing to show for it; your neglegence to the obvious poor employee treatment by safeway is extremely rude and unecessary.
Greg

Edmonton, Canada

#42 Oct 20, 2012
Are there any Managers at Safeway who are actually nice people? There must be some that are not total bastards.
Dave

Edmonton, Canada

#43 Oct 27, 2012
No. They are all holes of the arse. Safeway is a second rate company that attracts second rate managers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Safeway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Safeway closing 9 stores in metro Denver May 17 Victor 2
Tiny gold-brown bugs in Morton Salt (Sep '07) May 4 SeraSaraBlu 41
Safeway New Employee Feb '15 michaelvu12 1
Not enough cashiers (Nov '14) Nov '14 Bruce Lee 1
Bugs in Kosher Salt (Jul '14) Jul '14 Cindy H 1
News Sobeys to close underperforming stores, cut job... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Funk 1
New : Why you hate Safeway Update (Jun '14) Jun '14 Retail Misfit 1
More from around the web