Lake Mead may go dry by 2021

Feb 12, 2008 Full story: www.news.com 375
There is a 50 percent chance that Lake Mead, which was created by the Hoover Dam and the Colorado River, will go dry by 2021 because of escalating human demand and climate change, according to a study by Tim Barnett and David Pierce of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography of the University of California at San Diego. Full Story
First Prev
of 19
Next Last
Doug in Texas

Rochester, NY

#1 Feb 12, 2008
What happens in Vegas, may be dry!
doc trinity

Zimmerman, MN

#2 Feb 12, 2008
Then the only solution would be to do what the U.S.Navy does.Take the salt out of the ocaen water and use it instead of having a drought.Several bases do this very thing,and you can not tell the difference.
Daniel

United States

#3 Feb 12, 2008
Guess What?.....Another Tax supported Study. We all know the value of that, Don't We!
Richard

United States

#4 Feb 12, 2008
It's a matter of how you evaluate the study, because there is a 50 percent possibility Lake Meade will NOT go dry by 2010. Take your pick.
Richard

United States

#5 Feb 12, 2008
I misspelled Mead. Can I have my "e" back?
Jim

Grand Junction, CO

#6 Feb 12, 2008
How long does the Western United States really beleive the Colorado River can sustain agriculture, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Southern California?
Jim C

Carol Stream, IL

#7 Feb 12, 2008
Move out of the desert!!
Kinda simple don't you think? Plenty of space and water in this country, despite what the naysayers have to complain about.

“Speaking Truth to Doofusses”

Since: Jan 07

The Holy City of San Jose, CA

#8 Feb 12, 2008
Jim wrote:
How long does the Western United States really beleive the Colorado River can sustain agriculture, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Southern California?
A fair question. To the extent that there is a problem, it is a DEMAND problem.

The warming quack mafia just threw in the stuff about "climate change". They claim that EVERYTHING is caused by climate change.

The solution to a demand problem is to create more supply. There's plenty of water available in western United States and Canadian mountain snowcaps and glaciers.

The Army Corps of Engineers would just love to build a few continental irrigation projects.

Stop passing out gubbermint grants to study all the awful things that might happen if the temperature goes up twenty degrees (which is NEVER going to happen) and start laying pipe and digging trenches to bring water to the Colorado River basin.

And if an environmentalist or two gets in the way of a bulldozer,-- well -- nobody saw nuthin'.

The Respected Doofinator
Straight_Talk

Newington, CT

#9 Feb 12, 2008
doc trinity wrote:
Then the only solution would be to do what the U.S.Navy does.Take the salt out of the ocaen water and use it instead of having a drought.Several bases do this very thing,and you can not tell the difference.
The only problem is that it requires much infrastructure and energy to de-salinate. This and many other good ideas will be left on the table until it is a crissis. There goes the power for Vegas.

“Ron Paul 2008 President”

Since: Nov 07

Hartselle, AL

#10 Feb 12, 2008
Everybody needs to see this documentary, its free on google video now...

http://video.google.com/videoplay...
Straight_Talk

Newington, CT

#11 Feb 12, 2008
Jim wrote:
How long does the Western United States really beleive the Colorado River can sustain agriculture, Phoenix, Las Vegas and Southern California?
Gives new meaning to the phrase "Get out of Dodge." A common Las Vegas phrase. That is what everyone will be saying when there is no water and power for that hell hole with lights.
Adrian in Tacoma

Federal Way, WA

#12 Feb 12, 2008
doc trinity wrote:
Then the only solution would be to do what the U.S.Navy does.Take the salt out of the ocaen water and use it instead of having a drought.Several bases do this very thing,and you can not tell the difference.
Like he said, set up desalinization plants along the coast to offset rising sea water, pump the fresh water inland to fill the reserviors and canals - a renewable resource, right?... And send all the excess snowfall in the mountains via rail to those areas in need of some fresh ice water...
Jim

United States

#13 Feb 12, 2008
If you have had more than two kids, YOU are to blame! Go green - don't have kids at all!

Since: Aug 07

Auburn Hills, MI

#14 Feb 12, 2008
Straight_Talk wrote:
<quoted text> The only problem is that it requires much infrastructure and energy to de-salinate. This and many other good ideas will be left on the table until it is a crissis. There goes the power for Vegas.
And I hope the Navy is using better systems than those used by the Florida Keys. Their system is notorious for breakdowns, that's why they're still using a backup clean water supply from the mainland.
Joe

United States

#15 Feb 12, 2008
So what else is new? We have never learned to manage our natural resources. We have not learned to look long term about what could happen, and this is a mistake we always seem to make. Too bad there are so many "experts" that know better, and don"t look past their noses.
Why do we always have to learn the hard way?
Too bad people don't read more, other than the usual relaxation books, there are some really interesting books and authors covering many important subjects, or people are not interested?
jamesgang

Brunswick, OH

#16 Feb 12, 2008
Wow, I was just in Vegas less than a year ago. If all that water will be gone in 13 years, I'm going to call the pope because it will be a miracle.
cool luke

United States

#17 Feb 12, 2008
Hey, if you stand in front of a bulldozer, I didn't see nuthin' either, doof wad!
The Respected Doofinator wrote:
<quoted text>
A fair question. To the extent that there is a problem, it is a DEMAND problem.
The warming quack mafia just threw in the stuff about "climate change". They claim that EVERYTHING is caused by climate change.
The solution to a demand problem is to create more supply. There's plenty of water available in western United States and Canadian mountain snowcaps and glaciers.
The Army Corps of Engineers would just love to build a few continental irrigation projects.
Stop passing out gubbermint grants to study all the awful things that might happen if the temperature goes up twenty degrees (which is NEVER going to happen) and start laying pipe and digging trenches to bring water to the Colorado River basin.
And if an environmentalist or two gets in the way of a bulldozer,-- well -- nobody saw nuthin'.
The Respected Doofinator
cool luke

United States

#18 Feb 12, 2008
People just post messages on these posts just yuckin' and yodlin' "Ha Ha" that there are no problems with pollution, nor is our water in danger, nor that there is a problem from greenhouse gasses whenever some environmental issue pops up. When your baby takes his or her last gasp of air as the land floods, I can't wait to yuck it up that there is no problem with it either! "There's no problem in this country with pollution", says the @$$hole as he tosses his empty coke bottle out his trucks window. I am not an environmentalist, but take responsibility for your actions,@$$holes!
Daryl

United States

#19 Feb 12, 2008
We need to Pray for Rain! Praying for Rain is a Big part of this Country's History. God is still on the Throne & he will move on our behalf if enough people Pray & Repent. God Bless. Amen!

“Ron Paul 2008 President”

Since: Nov 07

Hartselle, AL

#20 Feb 12, 2008
Jim wrote:
If you have had more than two kids, YOU are to blame! Go green - don't have kids at all!
You have no idea on how brainwashed you are, let me guess your into social darwinsim as well... Do you realize that proposed solution to the whole global warming scare is a global carbon tax, a literal tax on life itself? Move to China buddy, they kill your children there now if you have more than 2 kids...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southwest Gas Corporation Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Las Vegas mayor Oscar Goodman brings water war ... (Mar '08) May '11 Jack 278
Crews restore gas service by today (Feb '11) Feb '11 WARRIOR 19
Lake Mead may go dry by 2021 (Feb '08) Sep '09 ROOSTER 2
Southwest Gas Rate Increase: Plan fails to igni... (Sep '09) Sep '09 ROOSTER 1
Woman Told She Was Too Hot To Fly (Feb '08) May '09 No Southwest fan 23
Woman Told She Was Too Hot To Fly (Apr '08) Jul '08 Republican Sean 23
Woman Told She Was Too Hot To Fly (Mar '08) May '08 potstirer 4
More from around the web