Lawsuit: Drilling fluids ruined water...

Lawsuit: Drilling fluids ruined water wells

There are 15 comments on the Bennington Banner story from Sep 15, 2010, titled Lawsuit: Drilling fluids ruined water wells. In it, Bennington Banner reports that:

Thirteen families in the heart of the gas-rich Marcellus Shale say their water wells have been contaminated by poisonous fluids blasted deep underground by a drilling company using a technique at the center of a fierce nationwide debate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Bennington Banner.

Some tin-foil truth

Holyoke, MA

#1 Sep 16, 2010
After reading this article I find it disturbing that a gentleman by the name of Josh Fox made a documentary about this called "Gasland". Seems that the "oil and gas industry says hydraulic fracturing has been used safely for decades and that there has never been a proven case of groundwater contamination caused by fracking" yet Gasland paints a different picture. The real problem is that during Bush Jr's presidency, he and Cheney gutted the EPA enforcement for this type of process. Thus anyone that causes these types of problems will not be punished monetarily or criminally.
Hell it was even set up so that if a whole town was displaced over groundwater contamination that the US government or one of its agencies could come in and buy your home for pennies on the dollar. They could do this by buying the land under your home only and not paying you a penny for the house. The reason being is that your home, community, town are "condemned" due to the contamination and the "fair market value" of your home now is worthless because you can't sell a condemned house.
Mark my words, this is only the tip of the iceberg that we are seeing. There will be more cases. I'm glad that I saw the documentary because for this being recent news only confirms what Josh was trying to portray in his documentary.

“Bring Your Own Chair”

Since: Mar 10

Kinnakeet, NC

#2 Sep 16, 2010
Fracking is as safe as a stick of dynamite in the proper hands.... The largest problem effecting these companies are gypsies moving into the Marcellus area, setting up shop as riggers with very little knowledge of fracking, and destroying the industry for the reputable drillers....
LSU

United States

#3 Sep 16, 2010
Fracking is what happens to the ground when Marky falls on his azzz!
hooklineandsinke r

South Hadley, MA

#4 Sep 16, 2010
Hey "Alex" do you mean like that nice fishing hole that got ruined because some "gypsy" came in and wrecked it? Now swallow.

“Bring Your Own Chair”

Since: Mar 10

Kinnakeet, NC

#5 Sep 16, 2010
LSU wrote:
Fracking is what happens to the ground when Marky falls on his azzz!
You're close Stevie.... What you describe is known as a fourier transformation.....
LSU

United States

#6 Sep 16, 2010
Alexs Beach Saloon wrote:
<quoted text>
You're close Stevie.... What you describe is known as a fourier transformation.....
Where I come from it's called Markys "fat azzzed boy, smack down".
LK Wolfsen

Bennington, VT

#7 Sep 16, 2010
I would think people would be more concerned about the radon issue. Southeastern PA has one of the highest concentrations in the entire US and fracking will release even more as it exposes the uranium in the shale. That and of course the possibility that their houses could collapse from subsidence.
hooklineandsinke r

South Hadley, MA

#10 Sep 16, 2010
Tell that to the hundreds of fishermen that got screwed. So "Alex" please tell us, how do you know so much about this or did you just stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night? You're finally right about something. Something does have to be done about your accountability.
LK Wolfsen

Bennington, VT

#11 Sep 16, 2010
There was an artesian well in Louisiana that you could ignite the methane bubbling through the water. If my memory serves me it was either in a town called Colfax or named the colfax well.
Not really

Dillsburg, PA

#12 Sep 16, 2010
It doesn't matter who is drilling, they are doing it for the almighty $$$$$$$$$$ and if any water is ruin, it will be "cleaned up" somewhere down the road. We need to get rid of them all. freaking or fracking either way is just plain wrong for us.
LK Wolfsen

Bennington, VT

#13 Sep 16, 2010
Not really wrote:
It doesn't matter who is drilling, they are doing it for the almighty $$$$$$$$$$ and if any water is ruin, it will be "cleaned up" somewhere down the road. We need to get rid of them all. freaking or fracking either way is just plain wrong for us.
Hate to tell you this but they wouldn't be there if your friends and neighbors didn't lease their land to them. Those people did it for the almighty dollar as well.
TJO

Chambersburg, PA

#14 Sep 16, 2010
Not really wrote:
Please explain to me what is "just plain wrong" about natural gas. As a country we need to find new fuel sources here on our own soil- America uses a lot of oil. Every day 85 million barrels of oil are produced around the world. And 21 million of those are used here in the United States.

That's 25% of the world's oil demand. Used by just 4% of the world's population.
That's money taken out of our economy and sent to foreign nations, some friendly some not so friendly. This will continue to drain the life from our economy for as long as we continue to send our money overseas and fail to stop the bleeding.

Natural gas burns cleaner, costs less and the extraction process leaves much less contamination behind than other fuels. Fracking for natural gas has been going on for decades and is very safe when done correctly by a reputable company. Yes, there are some gas exploration companies out there who are not as reputable as others, just like there are good and bad doctors, policemen, teachers, etc. Making the most of our huge natural gas reserves only makes sense. So before you make such bold statements based on propoganda from the anti's perhaps you should do a little research and educate yourself.
Jeff Phillips

Worcester, VT

#15 Sep 17, 2010
Alexs Beach Saloon wrote:
Fracking is as safe as a stick of dynamite in the proper hands....
I used to actually make dynamite. And what you say about it being in the proper hands is so true.

Amnd if anybody wants to read an interesting story about the coal mines in PA, do a Google for CENTRALIA, PA. I've driven through the town and it's just plain eerie.
Outsider

Bennington, VT

#17 Sep 20, 2010
More little people fall under the blade of the bulldozer named progress. They will have a hard time proving their case, but they still have a problem.
RoanokeRiverLogP erch

South Hadley, MA

#18 Sep 20, 2010
Little people? Try being called a “little fishy” and see how you feel! We never had a chance!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southwestern Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Southwestern Energy's (SWN) CEO Steve Mueller o... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Anonymous 1
News Kessel Builds Sound-Proof Modular Gas Compresso... (May '11) May '11 Marcia Neil 1
News Town approves plan to install solar panels on G... (Feb '11) Feb '11 is Gellert unionized 1
News Red Cross recovering after community provides d... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Mark Jameson 13
News Las Cruces Red Cross chapter shows signs of rev... (Apr '08) Apr '08 Non profits lack ... 6
News Emergency services will be unaffected if Southw... (Mar '08) Mar '08 Judas 1
strong buy? Jan '06 Southwestern Energy 1
More from around the web