You've got to be tough to love a Hummer.

You've got to be tough to love a Hummer.

There are 36 comments on the KABC story from Jul 26, 2008, titled You've got to be tough to love a Hummer.. In it, KABC reports that:

They rumble in on treads called Super Swampers, wearing their hearts on their license plates.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KABC.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Out in the West Texas”

Since: Mar 08

town of El Paso

#1 Jul 26, 2008
The headline actually should read:
YOU'VE GOT TO BE STUPID TO LOVE A HUMMER.

This earth-killer is the ultimate poser vehicle on the road today. The H 2 has the chassis of a ghetto Chevy Tahoe and a body that looks like the original Hummer; so it's basically a Chevy Tahoe in disguise.

The H2 also of course is a major gas hog. With a gross vehicle weight rating over 8500 lbs, the US government does not require it to meet federal fuel efficiency regulations. Hummer isn't even required to publish its fuel economy (owners indicate that they get around a sorry 10 mpg for normal use). So while our brothers and sisters are off in the Middle East risking their lives to secure America's fossil fuel future, H2 drivers are pissing away our alleged "spoils of victory" during each trip to the grocery store and soccer field.

The H2 is a polluter. Based on G.M.'s optimistic claim that it gets13 mpg, an H2 will produce 3.4 metric tons of carbon emissions in a typical year, nearly double that of G.M.'s Chevrolet Malibu sedan.

The H2 is a death machine. You'd better hope that you don't collide with an H2 in your economy car. You can kiss your ass goodbye thanks to the H2's massive weight and raised bumpers. Too bad you couldn't afford an urban assault vehicle of your own. For a Hummer driver, visibility is extremely limited because of its height and those super-small windows. Just a few months ago, a woman driving a Hummer in El Paso ran over her nephew in his driveway -- she simply couldn't see him.

The H2 is a tax loophole. Under current tax laws, business owners can deduct nearly half the cost of their H2s. If you are in the highest tax bracket, that's a tax savings of nearly $10,000! The government rewards you more savings for buying an H2 than you'd get for buying a hybrid vehicle.

So, Hummers suck almost as much as their dumbazz owners.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#2 Jul 26, 2008
William Pena wrote:
This earth-killer is the ultimate poser vehicle on the road today. The H 2 has the chassis of a ghetto Chevy Tahoe and a body that looks like the original Hummer; so it's basically a Chevy Tahoe in disguise.
The H2 also of course is a major gas hog. With a gross vehicle weight rating over 8500 lbs, the US government does not require it to meet federal fuel efficiency regulations. Hummer isn't even required to publish its fuel economy (owners indicate that they get around a sorry 10 mpg for normal use). So while our brothers and sisters are off in the Middle East risking their lives to secure America's fossil fuel future, H2 drivers are pissing away our alleged "spoils of victory" during each trip to the grocery store and soccer field.
The H2 is a polluter. Based on G.M.'s optimistic claim that it gets13 mpg, an H2 will produce 3.4 metric tons of carbon emissions in a typical year, nearly double that of G.M.'s Chevrolet Malibu sedan.
The H2 is a death machine. You'd better hope that you don't collide with an H2 in your economy car. You can kiss your ass goodbye thanks to the H2's massive weight and raised bumpers. Too bad you couldn't afford an urban assault vehicle of your own. For a Hummer driver, visibility is extremely limited because of its height and those super-small windows. Just a few months ago, a woman driving a Hummer in El Paso ran over her nephew in his driveway -- she simply couldn't see him.
The H2 is a tax loophole. Under current tax laws, business owners can deduct nearly half the cost of their H2s. If you are in the highest tax bracket, that's a tax savings of nearly $10,000! The government rewards you more savings for buying an H2 than you'd get for buying a hybrid vehicle.
very interesting pena,,,as i try to be as eco friendly as possible.... i cant believe these vehicles allow for tax breaks as well,,,? that is not encouragement to save our planet.......again,,,,,,americ as double standard
Dead Cat

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Jul 26, 2008
William Pena wrote:
Still and all, a hummer is a good thing, now and then.

Wouldn't you say?
skipper

Miramar Beach, FL

#4 Jul 26, 2008
Its good if you own a gas station

“Out in the West Texas”

town of El Paso

#5 Jul 26, 2008
Dead Cat wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't you say?
Naww, sorry to disagree, my friend. They aren't even great off-road vehicles.

“Out in the West Texas”

town of El Paso

#6 Jul 26, 2008
Dead Cat wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't you say?
Oh wait. It depends on if you're talking about the four-wheel kind or the two-legged kind.

LOL
Semper Fi

AOL

#7 Jul 26, 2008
If I'm not mistaken William, under the previous tax-code business owners could deduct 100% of a H2. And that was enacted when the Iraq War was in full swing.

Ah, just another reason to call myself a "Former Republican".

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#8 Jul 26, 2008
Semper Fi wrote:
If I'm not mistaken William, under the previous tax-code business owners could deduct 100% of a H2. And that was enacted when the Iraq War was in full swing.
why???????

“Out in the West Texas”

town of El Paso

#9 Jul 26, 2008
Semper Fi wrote:
LOL...you too?

I was a card-carrying member of the the Republican National Committee and a charter member of the Presidential Re-Election Team. What an IDIOT I was to associate with GOP scumballs.
Semper Fi

AOL

#10 Jul 26, 2008
reebie wrote:
<quoted text> why???????
After 9/11 Bush could have gotten the country to pull together and make shared sacrifices like we did during WWII.

At a minimum he should have steered us toward lessening our dependance on Middle Eastern oil.

Instead he chose to have the IRS give away Hummers to people who didn't need them.

“youbeateverythin g youknowthat ”

Since: Apr 07

Buffalo, NY

#11 Jul 26, 2008
William Pena wrote:
Couldn't agree more, one of the worst inventions ever..watch the lovers jump on us! haha

Since: May 08

Virginia Beach, VA

#12 Jul 26, 2008
Hubby loves a "HUMMER" LMAO
Johhny B Good

AOL

#13 Jul 27, 2008
Interesting that William Pena lambasts the Hummer H2 so intensly when there are in fact many other vehicles on the road, including models made by Volkswagen, BMW, Daimler-Benz that are still being manufactured that are worse than the H2 in its envirnomental impact on the planet. The Hummer H2 ceases production soon. Those vehicles do not. Yet those companies and their customers are not criticized with the fervent critiques that William seems to engage in. Be honest William. Your knee-jerk reactionism is easily placed on a very accessible target. Hummer is just a symbol of what you hate. Blaming Hummer for all of America's problems is a little like blaming the Bulldog that sits on top of the Mack truck for causing the accident. Its neatly packaged and easy for you to rant about. Please educate yourself, move out of your parents basement and possibly seek medical help for your hatred.

“Out in the West Texas”

town of El Paso

#14 Jul 27, 2008
I normally do not respond to posts from apparent trolls. However, I shall make an exception for Mr. Good. He obviously is educated, based on the quality of his writing and respectable skill in twisting others’ words to fit his weak argument. Perhaps he owns a Hummer and projects his unacknowledged embarrassment for doing so on others who dare criticize them.

Mr. Good attacks my post as ”knee-jerk reactionism” on a “very accessible target.” What he conveniently fails to acknowledge is that the entire thread is based on a news article devoted exclusively to Hummers. If the article were about gas hogs in general, I likely would have noted in my initial post the Expedition and Suburban in addition to the Hummer. He characterizes my criticism of the Hummer as hatred. I reserve the word hatred for a handful of injustices in the world and those who effect them; as such, I do not hate inanimate objects.

Mr. Good advises me to educate myself and move out of my parents’ basement. This is interesting advice, although I took it long ago and without the benefit of his counsel. Would Mr. Good wish to compare his educational pursuits with mine? Does he possess an Ivy League education? A Ph.D.? Professional licensure? Perhaps he does or perhaps not. By the way, while my parents’ home lacked a basement, I also lack one in my primary home but have a spacious basement in my mountain vacation home.

I wish to thank Mr. Good for providing me a moment of entertainment, although it has been at his expense.
Benson

Apex, NC

#15 Jul 27, 2008
Interesting that the comments are here are about H2's when the article is really about H1's. What you say about H2's is mostly true. The H2 gets around 11mpg. Most H1's get around 12 to 14mpg and are diesel. Many owners run some kind of bio diesel blend or actually run WVO (Waste Veggie Oil). Keep in mind most of these vehicles are simply toys, similar to a boat or ATV. You drive it on the weekend, not 30 miles to work every day. Also, many of the owners do their part to help others when other people are unable to help. Do a Google search for "HUMMERs Help in Midwest Floods" for some recent example photos.

“I know where you are,”

Since: Jun 08

Right here under my thumb

#16 Jul 28, 2008
The Hummer has had less than admirable quality ratings by JD Power & Associates since it's introduction - culminating a few years back as one of the worst quality vehicles next to Volkswagon. Thrown in with the fact that all are diesels and you have a vehicle that not only spends most of it's time back at the dealership, but the balance at the gas pump as well. The Hummer should not be confused with the mil-spec Humvee - totally different vehicle. It seems as though most owners would rather pay the premium price of ownership just to drive a status symbol. My '07 Range Rover is equally shoddy in quality according to J&D; however, it's covered by a 100,000 mile warranty and I've have very few complaints so far. Plus it runs a Lotus V-8, plenty of HP to get out of it's own way - and 17 mpg to boot.
DILF

Huntington, NY

#17 Jul 28, 2008
People who own Hummers are making up for a lack of size elsewhere.......

The funny thing, in my humble opinion, is the newer H3.....which is the smaller version of the Hummer..... I ask myself, why the flock would I buy a smaller version of the Hummer when there are equivalent sized vehicles out there that are better? Then H3 smaller hummer is sized like a large SUV, why not just get an Escalade, Yukon, Denali???? People that drive Hummers are arrogant (for the most part), but the ones that drive the H3's are just plain stupid!!!!!

OK.....thanks for your time.

“TheseDays”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#18 Jul 28, 2008
I have my eyes on someone who drives a Hummer! Yum!
Rod

Bothell, WA

#19 Aug 1, 2008
William Pena wrote:
NO WILLY PENis. some hummer drivers aren't bumbazz like you who wants to drive it but can't afford to buy one.
DILF

Huntington, NY

#20 Aug 1, 2008
Rod wrote:
<quoted text>
NO WILLY PENis. some hummer drivers aren't bumbazz like you who wants to drive it but can't afford to buy one.
Wow.....you sure told him.
Pffffft. Typical Hummer driver, uneducated and can't even put a normal and legible sentence together.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sunoco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Part 3: Multiple Blows (Apr '12) Oct '16 American 6
News D.A. still weighing murder charges in beating o... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Holotta Wytrache 2
News High oil prices pinching refiners, too Refiners... (Apr '08) Mar '14 Bella 2
News Briggs King battles McGinn to keep her seat (Oct '12) Oct '12 Get Paid Daily 1
News Sunoco Retail Sale Speculation Grows (May '12) May '12 Barbara Harris 1
News The Week in Words: Selling a refinery; selling ... (May '12) May '12 Anonymous 1
News Sunoco, Officials Huddle On Refinery Use (Feb '12) Apr '12 moradiego 3
More from around the web